madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi guys,
    i guess you have opened the settings before playback.
    just start some video and then open the lav settings via the tray icon and you should see something...
    so back to your problem, with your card 4k is not really great but it should work. don't use lav on copy back with a 1030 as joe told ya... use dxva2 native mode with your low power system and may also reset madvr to default (in your madvr install folder is a link for this).

those 1030 (also those with 2Gb) will be just enough for 1080p madvr on low scaling settings without NGU....if ya want enough juice for madvr with ngu and some other stuff... my minimum low power recommendation still is a 1050 ti with 4Gb . non ti 1050 has around 30% less power,1030 half of that.....
    till now nothing's changed

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In your screenshot, the title of the windows is "LAV video decoder Properties"
    In My screenshot, the title of the windows is juste "Properties".
    How did you open this windows ?

Just as @daWooky said, clicked on the LAV icon in the tray once MP has started playing a vid. That will then show the actual running status rather than just the static settings. Note though if you make any changes in this view they will not be actioned until the playback is stopped and restarted.

LoDeNo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok, I followed your advices , it allowed me to make some tests again.

Finally, the last test seems to confirm that the GT1030 work fine with MadVR but is too weak for 4K HDR.

Look at this picture :
    The TV is 4K. I ran MP1 in window mode. At this size, the video is perfectly smooth (its nearly HD size)
    The LAV windows confirm that the GT1030 is used to decode.
    The use of the GPU is almost 100%, the CPU use is low.
    19100910153123451816452508.png

If I enlarge the video, it becomes more and more jerky. The GT1030 is too busy.

So .... I found my problem, thanks to you : I "just" need to buy another video card.

OK this time : not below 1050ti 4Gb :D
    But, is it interesting to buy a more powerful card (1560, 1060, 1660 ....AMD ?) ?
    My HTPC is never used for something else but MP1.

Do you have any advice for a good, SILENT, short graphic card (to fit in my HTPC)?

EDIT :
    GeForce GTX 1650 seems to be a good choice :
    Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

UserBenchmark: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti vs 1650

Thx, Thx guys..(y)

Last edited:

grabi_2001

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2009
    in den Alpen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a Nvidia 2070 in the Multimedia computer ,,, I personally would not go there .... before I had a 1080 in the PC, also worked very well.
    Believe but one 2060 (she means I think) also works.
    MadVR is a bit demanding when it should be better settings.
    For a 1650 I can not really say something.

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if you would like it cheap and 0db silent there is only one card left from nv palit ::Palit Products - GeForce® 1050 Ti KalmX ::
    1650 is quite cheap but not so much faster in direct comparison i guess...
    in general a faster card is always worthwhile for madvr 4k upscaling (so far you can overload every card with madvr to 100%, even the rtx 2080ti)
    In your case with a dual-core cpu, I wouldn't invest much more and whether it could really be worth it for you depends mainly on your viewing habits and what your wallet advises you to do.^^
    but to be on the safe side for a nice system thats upscaling all crap to 4k no matter what, I would at least buy a 1070 or 2070 again.

cheers

LoDeNo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    For sure, a GTX2060 would be a good choice. But my Wallet said me it's a too long and noisy and heavy .. so and so ...card. :rolleyes:
    I had an hesitation between GTX1660 and GTX1650, but the first one is too expansive too.
    Every review I read show that GTX1650 is better than GTX1050TI.
    I choose this one, it's the max I can buy for the moment, hopping it will be powerfull enough to read 4K HDR videos. I will give you the results of my test :whistle:

LoDeNo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    I replaced the Geforce GT1030 by a GTX1650, and did the same test, wtih the same configuration :
    19101410391023451816462251.jpg

Everything is smooth and the colors are bright in 4K. Perfect.
    As you can see the GPU usage is 41%, for a video HD size. I Suppose the GPU usage is probably almost full for 4K.
    I also tested with DXVA copy-back and NGU parameters (image upscaling -> soft) and is OK.
    I am going to enhanced quality by changing parameters to see the limits of the card.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am going to enhanced quality by changing parameters to see the limits of the card.

You may also want to try D3D11 in LAV, for my AMD gpu it gives a better performance than copy-back although sadly Madvr does not fully support it (it breaks when switching tv channels) but seems to work well with vids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom