Madvr with GeForce 30xx - can't play SDR content after playing HDR (1 Viewer)

ThoW1982

Portal Member
November 6, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I managed to get Geforce 3070 which replaced my Radeon 580.

I have it connected to Samsung Q70R. With Radeon 580 I haven't had any issues with madvr in SDR or HDR (all perfect in my opinion).

It looks like HDR with Geforce 3070 is hard to do due to driver issues. I get the following issues:

1) Switch on Mediaportal 1.27
2) Play SDR content - all good
3) Play HDR content - all good; HDR switches on on the Q70R
4) Play SDR content - all colors disturbed

example.jpg

5) Play HDR content - all good

If I restart Mediaportal - SDR is OK until I play HDR, then it starts again. Basically once I play HDR I need to restart Mediaportal to play SDR content.
I can't imagine myself not using Mediaportal (been using more than 10 years), so if I can't solve this I will return Geforce 3070 and put back Radeon 580 (I like Mediaportal that much).

My settings:

LAV-video.jpg

Same SDR playback issues after HDR also happen on DXVA2 (copy back) and DXVA2 Native.

Madvr settings:

madvr-1.jpg

madvr-2.jpg

madvr-3.jpg

madvr-4.jpg

madvr-5.jpg

madvr-6.jpg

madvr-7.jpg

how many video frames are presented in advance = "1" sorts out micro stutter on Geforce RTX GPUs according to some posts on Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin. Generally people say that they manage to get the HDR playback sorted with MPC in full-screen fine in Geforce RTX GPUs but Mediaportal is different...

Can anyone help me pls?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think I have a similar issue, which I've been battling with for a long long time. I have a 1050Ti in my HTPC and also use it with madVR.

As far as I've been able to conclude, it has to do with HDR not being properly disabled after playback of a HDR video file is stopped. I sometimes end up with a very very bright UI, but most of the times it looks normal, but the blacklevels are messed up.
    When I play a blacklevel testclip (attached), i can't see the reference black (17-25). Often toggling Windows HDR on and off again fixes the issues.

Playing files in MPC-HC + madVR always works perfectly, hence my idea it also has todo with MP code.

** EDIT **
    I think you want to feed madVR with a 0-255 RGB input, I have my LAV Video RGB Ouput levels set to PC (0-255) but that's not gonna solve the HDR issue
    2nd thing i see in your settings is that you probably want to remove the 2160p25 output setting from madVR config, since that will trigger HDR on shows like (for example) The Grand Tour. Till 25fps, HDR will be toggled, but those shows don't have HDR. something to keep in mind, you might not have had issues with it (yet) ;)

Oh, and another thing: get latest Nvidia drivers (from 7/1) since there is a HDR blacklevel fix in there ;)

Attachments

• 1-Black Clipping.zip
      14.6 MB
    Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    how many video frames are presented in advance = "1" sorts out micro stutter on Geforce RTX GPUs according to some posts on Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin. Generally people say that they manage to get the HDR playback sorted with MPC in full-screen fine in Geforce RTX GPUs but Mediaportal is different...

Can you fix the link to the correct thread/post? I'd be interested to read on that!

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    I think you want to feed madVR with a 0-255 RGB input

That's what left from my tests yesterday - spent 10 hours trying various things.

I have changed it back to 0-255 RGB, but it does't resolve my issue.

LAV-video-2.jpg

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    I have tried many times to export logs using MediaPortal WatchDog but every time I try to play HDR content with it running colors are washed (no proper HDR displayed) and then SDR is working correctly.

If i just fire up Mediaportal and play HDR then it's OK but if I play SDR all content colors are disturbed until Mediaportal restart.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Maybe the problem is the frequency? After viewing it becomes unsupported in the current mode. And I would try changing Hardware decoder ...

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Maybe the problem is the frequency? After viewing it becomes unsupported in the current mode. And I would try changing Hardware decoder ...

I have tried D3D11 - Automatic (Native) and selecting the GPU; I have tried DXVA2 (copy-back) and DXVA2 (native). So all of them.

I have just finished testing tone mapping HDR and outputting as HDR in madvr but the same thing happens. SDR is OK until I play HDR - then colors are disturbed in SDR until Mediaportal restart. If I play HDR I need to restart Mediaportal to play SDR content.

below is photo showing before HDR playback - SDR colors OK

before HDR playback - SDR colors OK.jpg

below is photo showing after HDR - SDR colors wrong

after HDR - SDR colors wrong.jpg

Both cases display same stats once you press CTRL+ J while playing.

A hint what's wrong with these colors would be useful. Is it gamma? It looks overexposed to me (I might be wrong). I have tried to "disable GPU gamma ramps" in madvr -> calibration. Which setting in madvr could I try to change to fix this?

Display is set to 4k res, desktop color depth 32-bit, output color depth 8 bit; RGB, full dynamic range. I have tried YCbCr422 and 10bit or 12 bit but the smae thing happens in Mediaportal. I need to be in fullscreen exclusive mode, otherwise I get washed out colors in HDR.

Attachments

• example.jpg
      example.jpg
      1.9 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom