Madvr with GeForce 30xx - can't play SDR content after playing HDR (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Strange, your screenshot show poster on first, and not on second, maybe related.
    Something should not be reverted from MP or driver or madvr after playing.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Strange, your screenshot show poster on first, and not on second, maybe related.
    Something should not be reverted from MP or driver or madvr after playing.

Nicely spotted, looked again and yes, poster is not shown on the second (with incorrect colors).

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Tried to use MPC as external player - all working but have to press ESC to close it and can't use remote which is like launching files manually for me.

Tried to use latest madvr beta - same issue - after playing HDR, colours in SDR are distorted until Mediaportal restart.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Display is set to 4k res, desktop color depth 32-bit, output color depth 8 bit; RGB, full dynamic range. I have tried YCbCr422 and 10bit or 12 bit but the smae thing happens in Mediaportal. I need to be in fullscreen exclusive mode, otherwise I get washed out colors in HDR.
    For madVR you should set the output in Nvidia Control Panel to full RGB. 8bit for the refreshrates above 25Hz and 12bit for the 23.976 / 24Hz refreshrates to make full usage of the deep colours.

nvidia.png

Maybe the problem is the frequency? After viewing it becomes unsupported in the current mode. And I would try changing Hardware decoder ...
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately nothing changed while testing.

To continue on the testing: I've been working on this for a while yesterday with @Sebastiii and to keep it short: The issue is related to playback STOP in fullscreen mode.

When i was testing windowed mode, everything was working perfectly, and on STOP I also got the HDR logo from the TV indicating that HDR mode was exited. When doing the same tests in fullscreen mode, on playback STOP I do NOT get the HDR logo popup.
    So somehow HDR mode isn't properly exited in fullscreen mode, and therefor showing incorrect colors.

We tried a whole lot of things, including Alt + Enter to toggle between fullscreen & windowed mode, HDR toggle tools from systray, etc, but nothing solved it. In the end we noticed that when I was playing the blacklevel sample with incorrect colors, and hitting Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open Task Manager, the colors were correct as soon as Task Manager was opened. So it looks like when an overlay is opened on top of MP, the colors are correct. When closing Task Manager (to go back to MP fullscreen) the issue was present again. The only real solution is to shut down MediaPortal.

So we need to look at the playback STOP for fullscreen I suppose...

** EDIT **
    Btw: It would be nice if others who experience this issue can confirm my results.
    • No problems with the colors when you start/stop the video in windowed mode
    • No problems with the colors when you trigger and overlay (for example Task Manager) on top of fullscreen MP.

Attachments

• 1610264997135.png
      1610264997135.png
      102.4 KB
    Last edited:

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Btw: It would be nice if others who experience this issue can confirm my results.

Thanks a lot for your efforts. I have tested:
    • No problems with the colors when you start/stop the video in windowed mode
    For me HDR doesn't properly trigger when MP is in windowed mode - what happens is once I hit play the screen flashes black full screen like media player tries to open file in full screen, then video is played in windowed mode and I get washed colors in HDR (like HDR is not properly triggered); from reading on other forums for newer GPU nvidia drivers HDR seems to work properly only in full screen mode.
    • No problems with the colors when you trigger and overlay (for example Task Manager) on top of fullscreen MP.
    So it looks like when an overlay is opened on top of MP, the colors are correct. When closing Task Manager (to go back to MP fullscreen) the issue was present again. The only real solution is to shut down MediaPortal.

I can 100% confirm that. Fired HDR content - all well; opened SDR content - colors incorrect, then when hitting Ctrl + Shift + ESC to open Task Manager, the colors were correct as soon as Task Manager was opened; bringing down Task Manager resulted in incorrect colors; same with closing Task Manager. To get correct colors in SDR had to restart MP.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Too bad that I didn't have 4K material to reproduce it :) I'm sure there is some hack code to test :) but for doing that, need 4K hardware (TV).
    @ThoW1982 so ATI works correctly for HDR under MP ? This means it's not totally MP faulty !!!

I have a menu for Nvidia about 3D stuff, does this exist for HDR ?

1610291388131.png

ThoW1982

Portal Member
    November 6, 2010
    Home Country
    so ATI works correctly for HDR under MP ? This means it's not totally MP faulty !!!

Yes, with AMD Radeon 580 all was well (on MP version updated to the latest available in April 2020 according to backup folder). Then once I wiped AMD drivers I put Nvidia 3070 in and the problem with SDR colors after playing HDR started. I have updated MP to 1.27 immediately after I spotted it but that did not help.

To me the issue looks like it's related to Nvidia cards / drivers. I have tried all drivers for 3070 but none of them help with MP. Re driver support for HDR in software players see AMD, Intel and Nvidia driver issues and last recommended version - Doom9's Forum

I have checked MPC with madvr - full screen HDR working, no issues with SDR playback after HDR. Kodi 19 Beta 2 (always liked MP better) - HDR full screen working, no issues with SDR playback after HDR but Kodi 19 Beta 2 doesn't use Madvr. I have checked latest Madvr beta with MP - doesn't help.

I have a menu for Nvidia about 3D stuff, does this exist for HDR ?

No - I have the same for all applications:

nv.jpg

For HDR there is a switch in Windows under Display -> Windows HD Colour Settings:

w-hdr.jpg

AFAIK none apps can toggle this switch automatically.

What I do know is that there is NVIDIA HDR API. I think Madvr uses it to toggle HDR on / off on nvidia GPUs. This might be probably very complex (not a Windows developer) and / or time consuming but using this API on playback "stop" to send a signal to GPU driver to disable HDR might fix the issue? But Madvr should be doing it already and after switching off HDR content my TV reports SDR content, not HDR so I don't know...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    The HDR API seems to only action the one from Windows and it didn't fix this issue, MPC-HC work differently because and i C++ it like somehow Nvidia GPU keep reference to MP in fullscreen somehow and don't want to recover to 8bit.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ThoW1982 not sure what KODI uses for player, but i've tested EVR today and i can't get proper HDR colors from that.

Then i had to test the 446.14 drivers again, as suggested in the madVR thread by @bilis4 and that seems to work for me.
    According to Nvidia website, it's the first driver available for the 2070, but when searching on 3070, it doesn't go back that far...
    No clue what happens if you install that driver though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom