[TV] Make "timeshift buffer will be lost" warning dialog optional and consistent (1 Viewer)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    pilehave: I think what you mean is when tv screen is not running fullscreen (while framug is thinking MediaPortal fullscreen/windowed)...

edit: nevermind ;)

The patch works well so far, however maybe instead of:

• "avoid confirmation when stop playing tv"

something like

• "show confirmation when stop playing tv"

would be more logical to the user.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: Make "timeshift buffer will be lost" warning dialog optional and consistent

pilehave: I think what you mean is when tv screen is not running fullscreen (while framug is thinking MediaPortal fullscreen/windowed)...
    Well, not exactly.
    I thought same as pilehave for tv screen fullscreen (this time :D).
    Patch has same behaviour, both with MP window windowed or MP window fullscreened.

The patch works well so far, however maybe instead of:

• "avoid confirmation when stop playing tv"

something like

• "show confirmation when stop playing tv"

would be more logical to the user.
    With your sentence change proposal, and for not changing actual warning dialog box enabled by default, the checkbox should be enabled in this case and, this implies changes evrywhere for this setting (false --> true and vice-versa).

Finally, I would add an explanation for this (optional) setting for no misunderstanding.
    At first stage and before Team decision (before Chemelli post), I added this setting.
    And this was not planned to be posted here.
    It's only after own test I saw problem with warning dialogbox not displayed all the time.
    Then, I decided to post here because, I thought it could have some interest for the Team.
    Sadly, setting and fix for warning dialogbox are nested together in this dev. :(

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: Re : Re: Make "timeshift buffer will be lost" warning dialog optional and consist

Finally, I would add an explanation for this (optional) setting for no misunderstanding.
    At first stage and before Team decision (before Chemelli post), I added this setting.
    And this was not planned to be posted here.
    It's only after own test I saw problem with warning dialogbox not displayed all the time.
    Then, I decided to post here because, I thought it could have some interest for the Team.
    Sadly, setting and fix for warning dialogbox are nested together in this dev. :(

Not sure I understand you correctly... Will this patch (including the config option) make it into the svn at some point?

thx

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Re : Re: Re : Re: Make "timeshift buffer will be lost" warning dialog optional and co

Not sure I understand you correctly... Will this patch (including the config option) make it into the svn at some point?
    It depends on Team discussion/decision.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We are thinking of sensible ways of doing this, as these have been nicknamed "NAG SCREENS", maybe the best way would be to have a general setting of enable\disable, enabled being the default.

This could then also apply to all confirmation screens except play from start\resume where left off, think that is the only exception, but bound to be more that I don't use ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Lol I asked this long ago and I never understood the reasoning for keeping the dialog

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...button-doesnt-work-fullscreen-tvclient-41103/

I would like to see a user complaining "I lost my timeshift buffer because I stopped TV"

Some remotes have stop/pause button close to each other and it is possible to press stop by an accident. Now this doesn't have any bad side effects, unless you are watching time shifted material as you will lose part of the movie / program.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Lol I asked this long ago and I never understood the reasoning for keeping the dialog

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...button-doesnt-work-fullscreen-tvclient-41103/

I would like to see a user complaining "I lost my timeshift buffer because I stopped TV"

Some remotes have stop/pause button close to each other and it is possible to press stop by an accident. Now this doesn't have any bad side effects, unless you are watching time shifted material as you will lose part of the movie / program.

Yeah, still, anything can happen "by accident" so in my opinion it's not very good approach to design things. Current dialog disturbs normal users and is useful only for those who are careless, and who would probably learn when making the mistake first time, if the dialog wouldn't be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom