Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Asking this for a friend as I don't know if it may work...
    He runs an 40€ Android TV box (8-Core CPU HDMI 2.0, H265 hardware decoding, HDR, 4K@60 output, GBit LAN, WLan 2,4 and 5 Ghz USB,... ) with the MariaDB app (a full blown Database server for Android devices) installed to serve Kodi's databases. This box is running 24/7 and he wants to add a PVR PC system to watch and record live TV (DVB-S2). Also it is possible to install an own MySQL server on the PVR system he prefers to use the existing database server.

Afaik MariaDB is an open source fork of MySQL with "Enterprise features" and 100% compatibility to MySQL clients. So it should work if he don't install MySQL together with the TV Server. Maybe someone has tried TV server with MariaDB already and can proof it's working...

Sadly the latest MP2 releases are not compatible with TVServerKodi plugin any longer as he then could use MP2 server as TV backend for Kodi that don't need a database server at all...

By the way, this TV box really is astonishing... It's cheaper than a Raspberry Pi, much more powerful and better equipped than the Pi and does video playback better than my Haswell Core i5...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Octa Core Android 7.1 Nougat 4K 3D Media Player 2+16G MINI PC WIFI Smart TV BOX | eBay
    Similar boxes are available anywhere. This one is shipped from Poland (not from China) so no further taxes in the EU... And it is as low as 40€ incl storage, power supply and case. If you buy a Raspberry Pi with storage, power supply and case you need to pay about 50% more.
    I've ordered one myself but it has not yet arrived. If there is interest I can write a review once I have played with it a bit...

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    You can use MP2 + MPExtended + an andorid app for TV. ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Yesterday my own TV box arrived at the first day in the time frame for delivery. At first I had some issues with it. It didn't remember the selected language and on every restart it was back in Chinese language again. But after a "Factory Reset" (possible like on any other Android device) it now starts first in English and after I've changed the language to German it stays in German.
    My Box didn't has 5 Ghz Wifi. But this is no issue as I didn't have a 5 Ghz router and I nevertheless connect the box with (GBit-) Ethernet cable. But someone else may be unhappy with this. I've inserted a 64Gbyte MicroSD card (also the description tells SD cards up to 32 Gbyte it's working flawlessly) laying around here and formatted it as internal storage. So I can install enough apps and store enough data on the box.

As main controlling unit an IR remote comes with the box. And here is the only thing (excerpt for a proper manual) that is not included, the batteries. And as it's written in "Murphy's Law" I didn't have fitting batteries at home. So I needed to "steal" them from another remote just to be able to try the box...

Only had time to do some quick tests yesterday with the pre- installed Kodi version (17 beta, very outdated) . But the abilities of the Box are really great. Indeed it plays H265 4K videos better a lot than my (some years old) Core i5. Android 7.1.1 and also Kodi is running very fast and smooth, nothing to miss at all. Unbelievable what's possible today for 40€... And it really is much more powerful than a Raspberry Pi

As there are even tools like TotalCommander or OpenOffice you can use such a box as desktop PC too, especially as you have 2 USB ports attached where every average mouse and keyboard is working properly...

I will write a full review once I've tested it enough...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    it's more lite ?
    Don't think so.
    It's more like OpenOffice (owned by Oracle those days) vs LibreOffice (fully open source) in 2010. MySQL is owned by Oracle and only the community version is free. MariaDB has more features and is fully open source. In a few years "no one" will use MySQL any longer, as more and more Linux distributions including MariaDB instead of MySQL.. It's pretty similar to the success of LibreOffice over OpenOffice. That's why in the long term MariaDB will fit MediaPortal the better imho...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Don't think so.
    It's more like OpenOffice (owned by Oracle those days) vs LibreOffice (fully open source) in 2010. MySQL is owned by Oracle and only the community version is free. MariaDB has more features and is fully open source. In a few years "no one" will use MySQL any longer, as more and more Linux distributions including MariaDB instead of MySQL.. It's pretty similar to the success of LibreOffice over OpenOffice. That's why in the long term MariaDB will fit MediaPortal the better imho...
    you must done something on MP1 ? about DLL or something else ?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    you must done something on MP1 ?
    Prepare the MediaPortal user and password in MariaDB before installing MP. Don't install MySQL with the TV server and you can go on as with every other existing MySQL server.
    A friend is using MariaDB server on an Android TV Box (App downloaded from PlayStore, nothing special) and has connected MP1 TV server to it without issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom