Matrox G400 Duadhead (1 Viewer)

teampirkko

Portal Member
January 10, 2005
Finland
Hi!

I have Matrox G400 dualhead and I know that it does not support directx9. Could someone tell me which features I will lose if I use this card with MP? What are the main reasons to replace it to DX9 compatible card ?

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
hi!

i have replaced my g400 with a ati 9600. tv-out with a g400 is really good but you can't use the picture modul in mp. all osd stuff is a pain with g400. performance is much better with a directx 9 card.

the butcher

HenriM

Portal Pro
October 17, 2004
Rijsbergen, The Netherlands
In the past I also only used Matrox cards because of their great TV-out quality. Luckily the TV-out of ATI based cards is now also up to pair with Matrox, so I had no reasons anymore for Matrox. I have now chosen for Asus Radeon 9200 because it's passively cooled (read quiet). However this card is not fully hardware DirectX 9 compatible, but I don't think you will notice it...

butcherBoy

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
Germany
in picture module you can't see any pictures with a g400. preview is fine but no fullscreen pictures, no slideshow. osd is very slow and flickering. hard to use. the overall performance of mediaportal is much slower (you have to switch off animations in menus).

the butcher

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    do yourself something good and get a directx 9 card.
    I was having strange behaviours with mp crashing sometimes, being horrible slow, eating memory etc.
    Since replacing my matrox with an ati card all of the problems are gone.

Holli

November 17, 2005
    Hi everyone!

I have a G400 too... now I want to switch to a direktx 9 card.

It has to be cheap and should do a good job for media portal (tv/video-watching and *viewing pictures* ... what a killer-application).

Poore game-performance is no Problem (pc not used for gaming).
    But what may be a problem: has to work in my old hardware (I don't want to get a complete new PC just for viewing pictures ;-)).

My Hardware:
    Motherboard: Asus P3B-F (could not find any info if AGP 8x cards will work)
    CPU: Pentium III 1 Ghz
    RAM: 256 Mb

Any hints, please?

Holger

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

nVidia 5200FX and above
    ATi 9550 and above

nVidia 6200 is quite affordable and passiv cooled by most manufactures.

Flip.

franjorge

Portal Member
    November 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    in picture module you can't see any pictures with a g400. preview is fine but no fullscreen pictures, no slideshow. osd is very slow and flickering. hard to use. the overall performance of mediaportal is much slower (you have to switch off animations in menus).

the butcher

Excuse me for getting back to you on this after such a long time, but I am new to MP and have just read your post.

I am trying to get a picture slideshow on my TV with a G400 and MP. Is that what you assess it is impossible to be done when you say "in picture module you can't see any pictures with a g400"?

I ask this because on the PC monitor I can see the slideshow without any problem, but I am not able to get the slideshow on TV, only the MP menus.

Regards,
    Fran

Users who are viewing this thread