[no Bug] Media Portal Client Config does not work - windows 7 (3 Viewers)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Delete any MediaPortal.xml or .bak file from your program data folder and then start Configuration again. Does that help?

No clue why your install fails. Don't you get any install logs??
    Is there anything to see in your system logs?

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    No mediaportal.xml or bak files in the program data. When I looked in program data team mediaportal I found some logs there. I have attached them in case they shed light on this.

I also tried windows troubleshooter and reset Windows mediaplayer to default.

However the core issue if I read the logs correctly is that the file mediaportal.xml is not getting copied to the correct location because the installer cannot find it in my documents

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No mediaportal.xml or bak files in the program data.
    Then something really goes wrong with your installation. The MediaPortal.xml file contains ALL your Configuration settings. If you don't have that, MP will fail to start, etc. etc.

If you start MP Configuration and close it again by clicking 'OK', does that create a MediaPortal.xml file in your Program Data directory?
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    I cannot get to the point where I can close MP Config ..... on opening config at the first screen which is the choice between expert or standard mode, before I can click continue, I get the windows message saying the program has stopped working and that the program will close.

Anyway definately no mediaportal.xml file in the directory.

In the last fresh install I did just before I got the congratulations message that MP had installed correctly I saw a quick flash of red icons against the media portal and tv server install lines

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's correct. When you open Config for the first time, it asks for Standard or Expert mode. That means you don't have an XML yet.
    So before you can even continue in Standard or Expert mode it crashes?

You should really look @ your system logs (event viewer) to see why Config crashes.

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Here is the outcome from event viewer

Faulting application name: Configuration.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x52b77bcb
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1116
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
    Faulting process id: 0x1320
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf154f7a26dc49
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Configuration.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: b84721e4-8142-11e3-aed4-60a44c510ea2

and this was .net runtime error

NET Runtime
    - EventID 1026
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2014-01-19T19:48:51.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 73367
    Channel Application
    Computer Kit-on-7
    Security
    - EventData

Application: Configuration.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.ArgumentException Stack: at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont() at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(System.Drawing.FontFamily, Single, System.Drawing.FontStyle, System.Drawing.GraphicsUnit, Byte, Boolean) at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(System.String, Single, System.Drawing.FontStyle, System.Drawing.GraphicsUnit, Byte, Boolean) at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(System.String, Single, System.Drawing.FontStyle, System.Drawing.GraphicsUnit, Byte) at MediaPortal.Configuration.ConfigSplashScreen+SplashForm.InitializeComponent() at MediaPortal.Configuration.ConfigSplashScreen+SplashForm..ctor() at MediaPortal.Configuration.ConfigSplashScreen.DoRun() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You are installing on a Windows 7 machine right?

Could you double check if you have:
    - .NET 3.5 features enabled
    - .NET 4 Framework installed (i see references to 4.5 but 4 is needed)

Maybe a stupid question but: I assume there is enough free space left on the drive?
    And something else to try:
    Can you manually create folders/files in the ProgramData folder (in other words: do you have sufficient rights)?

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks Jeroen.

We may be getting somewhere at last.

Yes Windows 7 64bit machine

Yes plenty of free space on the hard drive.

Yes I can create folders / files in programdata.

Yes I do have .net 3.5.1 and it is enabled - although not the communication foundation subcomponents?

...... but no evidence of .net 4.

I suspect a windows update has removed .net4 when I moved to .net 4.5.1 (partic as microsoft is assuring that there is backward compatability with 4.5.1 and you don't need the earlier versions - Ha ha).

David

David Beaney

Portal Member
    January 4, 2014
    Home Country
    Downgraded one of my computers to .net 4 (you cannot have both .net4 and .net 4.5.x at the same time).

Unfortuanately this has not solved the problem - still the same issue of the config screen will not start (and a possibly related issue of the LAV filters will not install properly on a clean instal). But install does complete if you untick the lav filters.

Looking at recent posts there are others who are having the same issue - comments like 1.6 does not work / will not start.

From my knowledge this is not a 1.6 issue since I first found the issue with 1.5 (and I still have a copy of 1.5 and that does not help) ..... but I think it is an issue related to a user who has all the latest windows update for win 7 64 bit; because the issues only arose when I tried to install 1.5 on a newbuild windows 7 pc ...... and then successfully recreated the problem when I tried a reinstall on one of my other windows 7 pc's that had previously been running mediaportal client with no problems- so I then had 2 pc's where mediaportal client was not working......Aaagh

I know this is a client side issue only because a server only reinstall worked perfectly in the same timeframe[DOUBLEPOST=1390240277][/DOUBLEPOST]It is not a problem with the TV plug in either since the same problem occurrs when I do not select the tv plug in

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom