Media Portal verging on unusable, help. (1 Viewer)

Folkfan

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, but have been using MP for quite a while. I love it but I've had a persistent problem for the last month or so that's making it unusable.

I have searched the forums for similar problems but had no success. (If I am just not looking hard enough feel free to call me names:D ).

When ever I listen to music (the main thing I use MP for) I can only play one or two tracks and then the system freezes. Its infuriating. I tried updating winamp (I use that plug-in) that helped briefly but then the problem returned coupled with a new one. Now if I skip a track, sometimes the first remains playing over the top of the second. I have also tried not using the winamp plug-in but again the problem persists.

The pc I am using is quite low spec (1Ghz Pen III, 256ram) but I am sure that's plenty for music playback, plus I don't really have any problems with TV or video. Plus I custom built the whole thing and really don't want to have to rebuild it.

http://gallery.pcapex.com/showphoto.php/photo/10433/cat/1

I also tried adding a couple more fans as it runs quite hot but this also made no difference.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Please help as I love MP and really don't want to start looking for a new program.

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
you could try installing winamp and turning on the winamp external player.

That way the computer will use winamp in the background to play music.

or you could try using windows media player as the music player

there are a few options for music players in the configiration and one of them might work better

Folkfan

Portal Member
November 17, 2006
Home Country
you could try installing winamp and turning on the winamp external player.

That way the computer will use winamp in the background to play music.

or you could try using windows media player as the music player

there are a few options for music players in the configiration and one of them might work better

Thanks lord. I used to use media player, but (and I might just be being stupid here) I am using the latest version (02.1.0) and it dosent seem to have that option any more.

Also I am not entirly sure what you meen by turning on the external player. MP opens winamp in the background but its not actualy visable. Do you meen I should open winamp befor I open MP? I'll try that anyway.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Sounds like an overall system stability issue to me then. Try running applications like Memtest86+ and Prime95 to test for hardware stability. if those go successfully then you may have some software or OS instability. Making sure all your system drivers are WHQL certified drivers would be my first step after that.

Folkfan

Portal Member
    November 17, 2006
    Home Country
    gxtracker. Thanks for the advise. Although I cant really use Memtest86+ as my system has no cd/dvd/flopy drive (I could put one in for the sake of a test I supose). I am running prime95 at the moment, there dosent seem to be any problems so far. Its also a fresh install of winxp. As far as the drivers go, I am not ysing anything wacky. Just standard hauppauge and nvidia type stuff. Actualy come to think of it my sound card is a no-name cheapy one. Maybe thats it, I'll try that.

Lyxalig. Yeah I have tryed the BASS thing, no change, thanks though.

Folkfan

Portal Member
    November 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Just tried running without the sound card (using onboard). Same problem. Grrrr. . . whats wrong?? I so want this to work. My flatmate (roommate) is mocking me.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please fill out the support template and post your MediaPortal.log of such a "bad session". See my signature for links.

Folkfan

Portal Member
    November 17, 2006
    Home Country
    thanks mPod.

I am filling in the form now but I am having a problem getting the .log, since when I have this problem I have to do a hard reset, so I think that stops there being a posibility for an error log. There are other .txt files in the log folder though, should I past them?

Sorry if I am not understanding this properly. I hope you realise that I am not complaining about MP I just want to get it working again, I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom