Media Portal wake schedule (1 Viewer)

Digitalization

Portal Member
August 3, 2019
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hello Forum.

I have used MP on XP and Win7 in the past without issues until 2013. Recently I decided to return to MP on the same PC and upgraded to Windows 10.

Now I have noticed after a fresh install of both Windows and Media Portal that the computer will not wake to record. It does hibernate correctly but will not wake on its own.

I checked the powercfg waketimers and there is a task for Media Portal to wake the computer to record. This does not appear in the Windows task scheduler. I can create a manual task and it will wake the computer.

Presently I have used the PowerScheduler and Windows to control the sleep/wake functions but neither will wake, only hibernate.

Any advice on how to capture the logs in the hope someone can help me out. Thanks !

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First off I can confirm that MP will send Win 10 to sleep and resume either manually via a button press on the remote etc or automatically for a recording. If you have not already done so please go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Power Options and select "Choose what the Power buttons do" and set up as per the screenshot, most important is to disable both "Fast Startup" and "Hibernate". That should allow the PC to sleep and wake.
    power.jpg
    Hope that helps.

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks joecrow. I do not use a remote so lets rule that out.
    I have the power options configured as per your image already with the addition of adding hibernate to the power button menu. I will remove that tonight when I get home.
    At the moment, MP will send the computer to sleep if idle. It will record a program from the EPG if manually turned on and then go to sleep after.
    It does not wake up to record.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    after a fresh install of both Windows and Media Portal, the computer will not wake to record.
    In order to get MP to wake up to perform recordings, I think that you need to enable the "PowerScheduler" plugin. Although this plugin is included in the basic MP install, it is not enabled by default. Have you enabled it? You do this in "MP Config".

Note that Windows will cause your system to sleep or hibernate without the intervention of MP, so the fact that your system sleeps or hibernates does not imply that "Powercheduler" is enabled. (At least, I think that is the case; I am not an expert).

Second note: you can use either sleep or hibernation as your "low power" state. @joecrow uses sleep, whereas I use hibernation. The system will wake to perform recordings whichever low-power state is used.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    In order to get MP to wake up to perform recordings, I think that you need to enable the "PowerScheduler" plugin.

Thanks for offering a suggestion. I can confirm the PowerScheduler plugin is enabled. In the plug in advises the next the computer will be wakened for a recording. This is confirmed in Powercfg waketimers, but NOT shown in the Task Scheduler.

Therefore it has not awoke to record.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    In the plugin, it advises the next time the computer will be wakened for a recording. This is confirmed in Powercfg waketimers, but NOT shown in the Task Scheduler.
    I have just been looking at my HTPC. The "powercfg -waketimers" command does show the entry for MP, but I cannot find any trace of MP listed in "Task Scheduler". :confused:

If I click "Task Scheduler (Local)" on the "Task Scheduler" panel, it claims to show the tasks that ran within the last 24 hours, but it shows none, despite the fact that MP woke successfully this morning to perform a recording. Perhaps there is a category of wake request that is not shown in "Task Scheduler"?

I don't have any suggestion other than to bin this Windows 10 crap, and then re-install Windows 7 (which is what I use on my HTPC). But I am fairly sure @joecrow will be along soon to confirm that Windows 10 works successfully with MP on his HTPC. :D

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But I am fairly sure @joecrow will along soon to confirm that Windows 10 works successfully with MP on his HTPC. :D
    Indeed it does.:p
    @Digitalization Some while back I also had problems recording, might be worth taking a look at that thread here to see if there are is anything similar, although to be honest I'm not sure what fixed it, I don't think it was the vpn app although I did change its settings somewhat but maybe network in your case! Logs would help.
    Media Portal Configuration/General and set log verbosity to debug, then run MP Watchdog after a recording fails and select "Export all currently present logs" then click on proceed. Upload here but let us know the day/time of the failed recording.
    P.S. You will also need to set the log level in the MP TV Server Configuration/General to debug.

Last edited:

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @joecrow - thank you for helping. I have attached the collected information here

- scheduled recordings
    - cmd prompt showing wake up timers
    - tvserver configuration
    - the powerscheduler setup
    - the log files.

I set this up last night around 11pm with the next scheduled wakeup to be at 1am. This did not occur after it went to sleep.

@CyberSimian - I was thinking of returning to Win7 but if someone can help me out I will persist with Win10 for a while.... a short while.

Attachments

• recordings.jpg
      recordings.jpg
      249.3 KB
    • cmd-waketimers.jpg
      cmd-waketimers.jpg
      72.6 KB
    • tvserver.jpg
      tvserver.jpg
      115.1 KB
    • powerscheduler.jpg
      powerscheduler.jpg
      160.9 KB
    • MediaPortalLogs_07_08_19__09_01.zip
      399.6 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have not checked your logs yet but the Power Scheduler settings need to be changed. To the best of my knowledge you can not wake up for a recording from Hibernate.
    The attached screenshots are what works for me, please note standby is handled by windows and the away mode settings allow it to turn off the video for an unattended recording.
    ps1.jpg ps2.jpg

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    To the best of my knowledge you can not wake up for a recording from Hibernate.
    That is not correct :eek:. I use hibernate all of the time with my HTPC, and I have no problems waking to perform unattended recordings. (y) :)

the powerscheduler setup
    I notice that you are trying to use "PowerScheduler" in advanced mode. I use advanced mode, and I notice that @joecrow does too, but as you are having problems with power management, I would suggest switching to "Plug and Play" mode, just to see if it works any better. Click the button labelled "Plug & Play Mode", and select from the drop-down menu the profile that is appropriate for your use.

"Plug and Play" mode does not give you the degree of control over the individual settings that "Expert" mode does, but "Plug and Play" should give you a combination of settings that works correctly (even if not exactly as you want).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom