Media Portal wake schedule (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That is not correct :eek:. I use hibernate all of the time with my HTPC, and I have no problems waking to perform unattended recordings. (y) :)
    You may not have problems with hibernate but I do and I strongly suspect the OP does;) according to Google it is hardware dependant and since we both use AMD CPUs it seemed logical to provide him with settings that I know work. I also note that the Wiki and the plug and play settings do not use hibernate.
    I an no expert on TV server logs maybe @Owlsroost, but I see nothing out of order in the logs just that the PC makes no attempt to start up for the recordings.
    @Digitalization According to the DXdiag in your log the AGP (AMD HD3650) does not have a driver and as far as I can tell AMD do not support it on Win 10, it may be that something is available from Windows, do you have automatic and driver updates enabled?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    the powerscheduler setup
    I have just been looking at the log files. I notice that "MediaPortal.xml" has these settings:

<entry name="PowerScheduler">no</entry>
    <entry name="PowerSchedulerClientPlugin.dll">no</entry>

In my "MediaPortal.xml", both of those settings are "yes". Are you sure that you have enabled "PowerScheduler"? In DEBUG mode, the log file should be flooded with log entries from "PowerScheduler", but your log file shows none. :eek:

Edit: This applies to the MP client; I am not sure whether it affects "TV Server". So I would still try the experiment of using "Plug and Play" mode for "TV Server".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I also note that the Wiki and the plug and play settings do not use hibernate.
    Yes, there is a problem with using hibernate, but not the one that @Digitalization is currently experiencing. :D

If you put the system to sleep when "TV Server" is recording, the recording continues to completion and then the system sleeps. (y)

If you hibernate the system when "TV Server" is recording, the recording is terminated immediately and the system then hibernates. (n) (n) (n)

To circumvent this problem with hibernation, you need to use additional hardware and software, which is how I use it. (Aside: I started using hibernation because several of my PCI-Express slots cause the tuner to go AWOL on wake from sleep, whereas this does not happen on wake from hibernation.)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have attached the collected information here
    - the log files.
    I have just been looking at your "TVService.log" file, and comparing it with one of mine. My file has the following lines shortly before the system hibernates:

Code:
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: StandbyWakeupThread triggered by check interval
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: LoadSettings()
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetWakeupTimer()
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Inspecting Scheduled Recordings: 2019-08-06 18:59:00
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Set wakeup timer to wakeup system at 2019-08-06 18:55:00
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: CheckForStandby()
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: SetStandbyMode(StandbyAllowed)
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: System is idle and may go to standby
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Active standby is disabled - standby is handled by Windows
    [PS StandbyWakeup] [DEBUG] - PS: Requests preventing Windows standby: [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet

Your log file does not seem to contain these lines (the word "Scheduled" does not occur anywhere). Puzzling :confused:. Anyway, I would still suggest trying "Plug and Play" mode to see if that makes any difference.

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    That is not correct :eek:. I use hibernate all of the time with my HTPC, and I have no problems waking to perform unattended recordings. (y) :)
    I can confirm in the past with Windows 7 my HTPC would hibernate and awake correctly to record. This was the preferred method as it was unaffected by power outages.

"Plug and Play" mode does not give you the degree of control over the individual settings that "Expert" mode does, but "Plug and Play" should give you a combination of settings that works correctly (even if not exactly as you want).
    My HPTC is now configured "plug and play" and has not gone to sleep for 24 hours. Will run in debug mode again to collect latest log information.

@Digitalization According to the DXdiag in your log the AGP (AMD HD3650) does not have a driver and as far as I can tell AMD do not support it on Win 10, it may be that something is available from Windows, do you have automatic and driver updates enabled?
    I cannot find the driver for my older AGP video card. This is not an issue as the Windows 10 drivers work. I do not use the HTPC to watch the recorded TV.

Thanks for helping sort this issue out.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    My HPTC is now configured "plug and play" and has not gone to sleep for 24 hours.
    I changed my Windows 7 test system from "Expert" mode to "Plug and Play" mode, and then looked at the settings in the Windows power plan. The sleep timeout was set to "never". :eek:

On returning to "PowerScheduler" in "TV Server Config", I noticed that the first tab has a setting called "Put the computer to sleep after", and in my case it was set to zero (meaning "never"). I changed that to a sensible value, closed "TV Server Config" and looked at the power plan again. The sleep timeout had been changed to the value that I had set. (y)

I don't know where the value of zero originated. Possibly it occurred because I had previously been using hibernation and/or expert mode. Check your value for the sleep timeout, and set it to something reasonable -- 10 to 15 minutes, perhaps.

To check if wake now works, schedule a short recording for the near future, and then manually sleep the system. Observe the system to see if it wakes, records, and then sleeps again (without interfering with the system).

Note: from wake, the system will run for at least the duration of the sleep timeout. If the sleep timeout is (say) 30 minutes, and the pre-record wake interval is (say) 5 minutes, and the recording is (say) 15 minutes, the system will/should sleep 10 minutes after the recording has finished (10=30-5-15), i.e. it won't necessarily sleep immediately the recording finishes (it depends on the length of the recording).

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I changed my Windows 7 test system from "Expert" mode to "Plug and Play" mode, and then looked at the settings in the Windows power plan. The sleep timeout was set to "never". :eek:

Windows settings were still 15 minutes. According to the PowerScheduler, Windows was handing the sleep/wake functions and there is nothing stopping it from sleeping.

To check if wake now works, schedule a short recording for the near future, and then manually sleep the system. Observe the system to see if it wakes, records, and then sleeps again (without interfering with the system).

Did as you suggest, it did not wake to record.

Uploaded the latest logs in case there is something that can help.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_10_08_19__14_25.zip
      933 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My HPTC is now configured "plug and play" and has not gone to sleep for 24 hours. Will run in debug mode again to collect latest log information.

I'm a bit confused is it now not going to sleep automatically on idle and still not waking for a recording??? i.e. to test for the wake up you manually put it to sleep?
    Sorry but I think your 2 statements need some greater explanation.;)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Looking on the internet for "windows 10 wake timers ignored", I found this page:

Why Isn't My Windows 10 PC Waking Up after a SetWaitableTimer() Call?

Apparently, Windows 10 introduced a new setting for wake timers called "Allow Important Wake Timers Only", which allows wake timers from the OS, but disallows wake timers from applications. I have just looked at my Windows 10 system, and it does indeed have this setting. However, I don't have MP installed on that system, so I cannot test to see what effect that setting might have.

So, go to advanced power-plan settings and check the setting for "Allow wake timers". If you are lucky, this will be the cause of the problem :); if you are unlucky, ... :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom