[solved] MediaPortal 2.1 GUI incredibly slow Performance (1 Viewer)

mx-5driver

Portal Member
May 13, 2017
Home Country
Germany Germany
Thanks for your reply - I will provide additional Logs without Import running if that helps ?

Regarding Netiquette: I fully agree Netiquette should be respected but please also consider the Response of User @spachti !!!
I fully agree to his Response also.

Don't be upset when obviously Threads are not properly read and People are loosing Patience and yelling Facts in captal Letteres which have been mentioned before but seem to have been ignored.

@ge2301
I believe you were answering in good intent to really help.
I also understand that similar Scenarios of same Type were caused due to Imports eating up System Resources as a Root Cause.
However in my particular Case it is quite different - the Performance stays bad - even AFTER the Import is finished.

Anyways I will provide the additional Logs without Imports running you're asking for ....

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your reply - I will provide additional Logs without Import running if that helps ?
    I don't know yet, but as you can imagine we are only "seeing" what you write and a plain "it's slow" is not providing any information that we can work with. Logs provide a quantitative picture of the situation.

People are loosing Patience
    some people - and I am not having you in mind here - give the impression that this forum is a kind of 1-800-Solve-my-problem. We are not paid for what we do and instead sacrifice our personal free time for others.

However in my particular Case it is quite different - the Performance stays bad - even AFTER the Import is finished.
    We never, and I really mean never, had a report like this before that did not turn out to have the computer doing something else.

You can actually verify the logs yourself. Also have you tried the usual stuff, e.g. restarting the server, rebooting the PC etc.? What is the CPU load? Is the Resource Manager showing other things, ...
    ]

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer

I possibly should have mentioned that I am IT Professional - looking into the Situation with System-Resources in Task Manager and Windows Eventviewer is certainly one of the 1st Things to check for me.
    I already mentioned that before though - Anyways please find attached new Logs you asked for..
    Also Recommendations like restarting Applications or the PC is possibly what @spachti meant with asking to better not treating Users asking for Help like a Child.
    I mean restarting PC / App is very likely even one of the 1st Things a blunt User-Level or Idiot would do as a first Step - so its quite nonsense to recommend something like that, isn't it ?
    Maybe in 95% of the Cases usually indeed the Problem sits in Front of the Keyboard - but thats not always the Case !
    Even if such kind of Advice was truly honest & wasn't meant bad in any Way - between the Lines it reads quite arrogant, you know ?
    Just a Hint in this Aspect to possibly improve future Forum Communication.

Nevertheless I know & I truly respect that you Guys here are not paid for spending Time with your Expertise in this Forum.
    I really appreciate Your Guys work in this Forum as I am an active Community Member in other Forums as well.

Please note:

These Logs have been created this Morning Today after leaving MP2.1 running the entire Night & no Import was running anymore.
    After you Guys may have took a Look onto these Logs, I may create additional Logs right after starting up MP2.1 if needed because GUI Performance is much worse right after Startup compared to the Situation when MP was constantly running for a longer Period of Time.

Also attached you'll find a Task-Manager Screenshot to prove that System-Resources are not the Culprit.
    I did not attach a Screenshot of detailed System Resources-Views as nothing suspicious could be seen there either - RAM & Disk Usage are both Ok.
    The Logs hopfully also recorded the complete Application Crash which required me to restart MP2.1. - I have attached the 2 Windows-EventViewer Logs about the App-Crash - hopefully it helps ?
    Don't know if the App-Crash has a Coincidence with the Performance Issues reported - but just in Case I attached them for your Review.
    At least according to the EventViewer Entry the Crash Issue was in Context with .NET Runtime ?

Additionally I have checked that following Software Components are up-to-date:
    Mainboard BIOS
    SSD-Firmware
    TV-Cards Firmware
    TV-Cards Drivers
    Other Components Drivers
    Windows Updates

Nevertheless I know that you Guys are not paid for spending Time with your Expertise in this Forum.
    Really appreciate your Work and Assistance you are providing here as I am an active Community Member in lots of other Forums as well.

Other Interesting Observations:
    After having the HTPC running overnight the Times for switching TV-Channels & in Menus became significantly shorter - however it doesn't at all reach the fluid Performance I had with MP2 Spring 2016.

For creating the Task-Manager Screenshot I had to switch off / on the Full-Screen View which crashed MP2.1 twice.
    MP2.1 just was showing a grey Screen then and did not react to any Command anymore - had to kill the Process via Task-Manager then.

Then after kllling and restarting MP2.1 I was back at the bad Performance Issues.
    Switching to Live-TV & selecting a TV-Channel took 2 Minutes and 35 Seconds until Video & Sound came up.

Thoughts in this Context:
    At this Stage I do not know whether really MP2.1 is to be blamed for the bad GUI Performance or whether it has to do with the recent Windows Upgrade on my HTPC Machine ?
    MP2.ß Spring 2016 was running very well under Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Release 1607
    Then in Early May I idid the Os Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Release 1703
    So since the MP2.1 Upgrade took Place under the new Windows-Release 1703 while MP2.0 was running under 1607 possibly that could be a Coincidence as well ?

Also I wonder whether MP2.1 was properly tested on the latest Windows-Release ?
    I mean MP2.1 was released on 3rd of May, while the new Windows-Release was released on 05th of May ---> possibly a Bad Timing, isn't it ?
    I do not know though whether MP2.1 Betas were properly tested from Users attending the Windows Insider Program to make sure there will be no Issues with the newest Windows-Release ?

As I already said - I am used to the well-known Methods of usual PC Troubleshooting - but this Situation with facing not even a reasonable Trace of the Culprit leaves me quite lost and helpless - depending on the Help of you Experts here.

Attachments

• Taskmanager-Systen-Reesources.jpg
      Taskmanager-Systen-Reesources.jpg
      68.4 KB
    • Event-Viewer1.jpg
      Event-Viewer1.jpg
      108.3 KB
    • Event-Viewer2.jpg
      Event-Viewer2.jpg
      134.2 KB
    Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I possibly should have mentioned that I am IT Professional
    Certainly an important information, which influences answers.

I mean restarting PC / App is very likely even one of the 1st Things a blunt User-Level or Idiot would do as a first Step - so its quite nonsense to recommend something like that, isn't it ?
    You would be surprised how often we find that users have not even done such basic things. ;)

For creating the Task-Manager Screenshot I had to switch off / on the Full-Screen View which crashed MP2.1 twice.
    That is definitely not normal. I can switch between Full/Window/WindowOnTop as often as I want here without issues. The event log snip displays a SharpDX entry, which suggests a driver problem. We did have these issues in the past and they all went away with Windows 10 1703 rolling out an improved Intel graphics management.

The other thing that I find striking in your Task Manager screenshot is that my view is looking different. I don't have the grey MediaPortal 2 (32bit) entry in my task list, neither in the foreground apps nor in the background processes.
    TaskManager.JPG

At this Stage I do not know whether really MP2.1 is to be blamed for the bad GUI Performance or whether it has to do with the recent Windows Upgrade on my HTPC Machine ?
    The team did upgrade and tested this internally. As mentioned some bugs that we had on our list resolved themselves with this upgrade. We also didn't observe such phenomena, which suggests that MP 2.1 is not the true source of the problem. But maybe the installation is somehow messed up on your system?

I do not know though whether MP2.1 Betas were properly tested from Users attending the Windows Insider Program to make sure there will be no Issues with the newest Windows-Release ?
    You overestimate our capabilities :)

depending on the Help of you Experts here.
    Well, expert is such a big word (y). It is either your Windows/Graphics system or it is the MP 2.1 setup that is not working correctly. I suggest to start taking a look at the second possibility: You could ty a reinstall.

Uninstall MP 2.1 completely - this will leave your data intact. You may also do an export of your complete TVServer data first to speed up a later new setup. Then rename the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal directory to allow a fresh start, reinstall MP 2.1 and do a step-by-step setup, e.g. by adding a small share first and verify the GUI behavior.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I saw this error first time and it apprears 2 times:
    [2017-05-13 21:58:53,235] [19379269] [59 ] [ERROR] - UserProfileDataManagement: Error creating user profile 'HTPC2')
    System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): constraint failed
    UNIQUE constraint failed: USER_PROFILES.NAME
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBehavior behavior)
    bei System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    bei MediaPortal.Backend.Services.UserProfileDataManagement.UserProfileDataManagement.CreateProfile(String profileName)
    @aspik Any idea what can cause this error? I don't think there is a direct connection to the performance though.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The other thing that I find striking in your Task Manager screenshot is that my view is looking different. I don't have the grey MediaPortal 2 (32bit) entry in my task list, neither in the foreground apps nor in the background processes.
    Seems to change depending on the hardware / software you are running or maybe the skin???
    On my client / server Without the Client running I see this (Windows 2012)

Task Manager 01.jpg

After I start the client, the Service Monitor icon changes.....
    Task Manager 02.jpg

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems to change depending on the hardware / software you are running or maybe the skin???
    On my client / server Without the Client running I see this (Windows 2012)

View attachment 190105

After I start the client, the Service Monitor icon changes.....
    View attachment 190106
    That's exactly what I see here.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Any idea what can cause this error?
    It looks like creating the user profile failed because the DB already contains this profile.

@Brownard
    you added a check for existing profile while creating a profile. Do you think this check might be not working in some cases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom