[solved] MediaPortal 2.1 GUI incredibly slow Performance (1 Viewer)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you think this check might be not working in some cases?
    Yes, I've never really got to the bottom of it, I think there must be a race condition in there somewhere.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In that case starting with a clean setup should resolve the issues, correct?

torbjorns

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi, Im also having a slow GUI, atleast in TV-guide. For switching channels I need to press rwice on remote. On first press I see the arrow/circle icon "search" for channel, but nothing happens... Check my last channelswitch. Anyone have clue whats going on?

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, Im also having a slow GUI, atleast in TV-guide. For switching channels I need to press rwice on remote. On first press I see the arrow/circle icon "search" for channel, but nothing happens... Check my last channelswitch. Anyone have clue whats going on?

Same what I am experiencing here
    Now Trying to start from Scratch with uninstall / re-install based HTPCSourcer's Advise & on aspik's Comment regarding User Profile Issues

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Certainly an important information, which influences answers.
    It is either your Windows/Graphics system or it is the MP 2.1 setup that is not working correctly. I suggest to start taking a look at the second possibility: You could ty a reinstall.

Uninstall MP 2.1 completely - this will leave your data intact. You may also do an export of your complete TVServer data first to speed up a later new setup. Then rename the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal directory to allow a fresh start, reinstall MP 2.1 and do a step-by-step setup, e.g. by adding a small share first and verify the GUI behavior.

@HTPCSourcer
    Well, I did as you advised and tried out a few other Things as well.
    Btw, I cannot imagine what you mean with "...something wrong with your Graphics System..."
    I mean there is not much that can be wrong with a Intel Core i5 6500 with Processor-integrated Intel HD 530 Chipset ?

However the Result after Re-Installation is still the Same - Poor GUI Performance remains.
    E.g. changing the Settings from Fullscreen to Window Mode takes almost a Minute - however it doesn't crash MP2.1 anymore.

Absolutely horrible are the Channel-Switch Times - no Matter whether I switch into Live-TV first Time or just switch a Channel - it takes Ages.

After Re-Installation I did not configure any Media-Library at all.
    I have no additional Codecs or Codec-Packs installed - Just plain Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Release 1703.
    Just Cyberlinks PowerDVD 16 Ultra is installed in Order to provide Bluray Support.

Since the DVB-S2 TV-Card Manufacturer DigitalDevices was recommending to switch off Secure Boot in BIOS I checked that as well and re-installed DVB-S2 Card Drivers afterwards. - Result: No Change either.

Meanwhile I think I have checked almost everything that can be checked ?
    Anyone here has probably any additional Ideas to get down to the Root-Cause of the Problem ?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, I did as you advised and tried out a few other Things as well.
    OK, so you started with a clean setup. Would you mind uploading your logs?

I mean there is not much that can be wrong with a Intel Core i5 6500 with Processor-integrated Intel HD 530 Chipset ?
    As I said, we have noticed that older Intel driver implementations were buggy and that 1703 brought improved drives. I've seen reports about HD530 systems where users reported lagging. See for example here. This report states that the system is becoming unresponsive as soon as the Intel driver is installed.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    DVB-S2 TV-Card Manufacturer DigitalDevices
    I have the same card here.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Release 1703
    I have the same OS here.
    Intel Core i5 6500 with Processor-integrated Intel HD 530 Chipset
    I have an older i5 (Haswell 4590) with HD4600 . Should not be too much of a difference...

The only thing I don't have is:
    Cyberlinks PowerDVD 16 Ultra

changing the Settings from Fullscreen to Window Mode takes almost a Minute
    Here it is in no time, not even a tenth of a second.

no Matter whether I switch into Live-TV first Time or just switch a Channel - it takes Ages.
    Here the channel switch is absolutely normal.

So there must be something on your system causing this as your hardware generally is more than good enough...

Just for testing, can you remove PowerDVD?
    Another place to look is at the network settings. The different parts of MP2 are communicating by UPnP. So a "strange" network configuration can cause many weird issues...
    The runtimes needed by MP2 (see Wiki for a complete list) sometimes are not installed properly, especially on Win10. This also may be worth a look...
    Aside this I only can imagine Defender to block MP2 somehow...

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, so you started with a clean setup. Would you mind uploading your logs?
    As I said, we have noticed that older Intel driver implementations were buggy and that 1703 brought improved drives. I've seen reports about HD530 systems where users reported lagging. See for example here. This report states that the system is becoming unresponsive as soon as the Intel driver is installed.

@HTPCSourcer
    Well, thanks for sharing this - indeed this seems to point into the Direction of the Issues I am facing right now.
    Guess I have to wait until either Microsoft or Intel is providing an appropriate Fix - hopefully with the next Patching-Day at the latest ?
    I did not knew about this Issue - may I ask on how you stumbled upon that ?

@Lehmden
    I guess uninstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD makes not much Sense at this Point.
    But looking onto your Observation with nearly comparable Hardware I think MP2.1 is indeed not the Culprit to be blamed.
    Since you're having an Intel HD4600 & not an Intel HD 530 like I Have this may be the Reason why you seem to be not affected.

Aside from this Performance Issue Topic which obviously needs to be resolved by Intel / Microsoft soon, I wonder why I did not find recommended Codec Settings in the MP2 Wiki ?
    Any Recommendations from You Guys to make sure both works Properly - Live-TV & Playback of .mkv Containers & .mp4 Files ?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did not knew about this Issue - may I ask on how you stumbled upon that ?
    The Intel drivers are known to be problematic for quite some time. A quick online search for your HD530 yielded several problem threads with similar issues.

Aside from this Performance Issue Topic which obviously needs to be resolved by Intel / Microsoft soon, I wonder why I did not find recommended Codec Settings in the MP2 Wiki ?
    Well, we are a little bit behind with the Wiki - volunteers welcome.

But codec settings are fairly straightforward. LAV should work on your system but you may also try MS-DTV for HD.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI.
    I wonder why I did not find recommended Codec Settings in the MP2 Wiki ?
    You normally don't need to fiddle with codecs at all. MP2 is doing pretty well out of the box (normally ;) ). Personally I've changed only one setting here. I've used Lentoid as codec for h265 because it needs less strong hardware than LAVF and my HD4600 is not really good in decoding h265...

Setting up codecs is kind of an "expert" setting and only needed for fine tuning... That's why it has not too high priority in the wiki...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom