MediaPortal 2 for Linux - Another try on that case (1 Viewer)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you are missing the point kiwi ;), running MP2 server on anything but Windows will be really hard, because at some point the most important thing of the MP2 server is the TV engine, which is build on so many native windows APIs that it is not portable to any other OS.

Instead, the client has no real hard OS specific depencies, and could be used on cheap devices - with OS othe rthan windows (Linux, OSX, Android, IOS).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @offbyone - I think you missread my post. I said that a linux MP client would be great for Raspberry Pi and other linux based extenders.

EDIT: I see why you miss interpreted what I was meaning from the last sentence.

Last edited:

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Any word on how this is going? I think it would be really nice to be able to have a MP client on a Raspberry PI and then just have those in every room of my house. Since the PI is linux I am really interested in watching this take shape. I do have a netbook running linux if you need help testing.

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Any word on how this is going? I think it would be really nice to be able to have a MP client on a Raspberry PI and then just have those in every room of my house. Since the PI is linux I am really interested in watching this take shape. I do have a netbook running linux if you need help testing.

Nothing yet. Just did my last exams for this semester, I'll try to have a look at it next week or so ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Instead, the client has no real hard OS specific depencies, and could be used on cheap devices - with OS othe rthan windows (Linux, OSX, Android, IOS).

Directshow, DirectX... not available on other OSes than MS ones. Not easy to replace (althou nothing is impossible :)).

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    LAV is based on FFMpeg, which is avail. on Linux and OSX and can be used with OpenGL (just as xbmc does). So no "hard" dependency.

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Directshow, DirectX... not available on other OSes than MS ones. Not easy to replace (althou nothing is impossible :)).

My first approach would be an OpenGL Skinengine and Player for Windows. If we can do that with a good interface, it would also be possible for Windows users to choose between DirectX and OpenGL (maybe some performance differences on specific hardware).

If this is done, there is no "deal-breaking" dependency left (correct me if I'm wrong).

Still a very big project, but i think with proper organization this would be doable and a big advancement for the MediaPortal platform. After all, Windows is a great overhead for a small HTPC.

I have to say, I really appreciate the growing interest in this topic :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    LAV is based on FFMpeg, which is avail. on Linux and OSX and can be used with OpenGL (just as xbmc does). So no "hard" dependency.

Hard dependency in that sense that current players depend directly on directshow. It is even more work than replacing BDA on tv side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom