MediaPortal 2 Weekly snapshot (2015-11-21) (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The (Any) UPnP/DLNA Renderer did not allow you to watch anything on your Smart TV. For this you would need an UPnP/DLNA Server. Such a plugin for our MP2 Server is under heavy development atm. Also I don't know exactly, I'm pretty sure that we will at least try to support LiveTV over DLNA too. Running recordings you guaranteed can watch on your DLNA capable Smart- TV once this plugin is ready.

The Renderer Plugin allows you to "throw" videos, music or pictures from your Smartphone (or similar) directly to be shown with MP2 on the "Big Screen".

Here is an excerpt of another posting I've done somewhere else:

UPnP is a set of networking protocols. This is similar to TCP (used on most of your your Internet activities). But UPnP is meant for local usage. With UPnP you can do a lot of things. One thing is that the MP2 Client is communicating with the MP2 Server over UPnP. Another thing is the possibility for a program to automatically configure your router if this program needs special ports to be open, etc...

And you also can stream media over UPnP. This later case is handled by a special sub-set of the UPnP protocols, called DLNA. With DLNA there is a standard that all devices, no matter if it is a PC, a MAC, a Smartphone, a Tablet, a Smart-TV or whatever should be able to use all together even in a completely mixed environment.

A DLNA environment did have three global components, that can be on the same device or on different ones. It did not matter, as long as all devices are part of the same network neighbourhood. First there is the DLNA server. The server is delivering the media for DLNA. And it needs to transcode the media, if this is needed for the renderer. Then there is the renderer. This is the "player" who finally is playing your music or video on the screen. Between both of them, there is the controller. This can be stand alone, combined with the server or, more often with the renderer. The controller is handling the playlists, is browsing the server for media and it controls the renderer to play, pause, rewind,... The controller is the command- bridge in your DLNA environment.

So imagine you have a Smart-TV somewhere in your home, that did not have a PC connected to it. But it is DLNA enabled. Now you can use the MP2 server as DLNA server (with the new developed plugin) and play all your media from the MP2 MediaLibrary directly on your TV without the need to add an PC with MP2 Client software to it. Depending on the software of your Smart-TV you can use the TV remote to browse the MP2 server and/or you can use a smartphone that has a controller software installed and use it as remote.

Another scenario. You are in the garden but want to watch some media (or even TV) on your tablet. This is possible by DLNA too, no matter if there is a MP2 client running on the tablet. And for this it also can be a iPad or an Android Tablet,...

And a third scenario where the MP2 Renderer Plugin is useful... You have an AVR with Ethernet connection. It can play a lot of music files over network. For this it is a DLNA renderer and most likely a controller (limited to its own renderer, similar to WMP). Most often you need to turn on your TV to navigate (browse for media). This also can be done without the big TV if you are using a smartphone or tablet with a controller software (like Bubble, that is available for Windows too). So far so good. But what if you want to play some hi-res music files. Most likely those hi-res music can not be played by an AVR over Ethernet. You need to play it over HDMI. Now here is the hour of the MP2 Renderer plugin. You can choose MP2-Client as renderer, switch your AVR to the HDMI port where your HTPC is connected and you still can play your hi-res music controlled by the tablet and without the big TV turned on.

Hope this helps understanding the DLNA/UPnP world a bit...

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This Weekly is completly Unusable for me.... :(

Fresh install - Server = wv-server (Server Only install) - Client = Sylvester (Client Only)

After configuring and seting up the TV side, Went onto Client and started config.
    Server registered error right away

[2015-11-22 09:03:09,354] [2860231] [27 ] [DEBUG] - Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MediaPortal.Plugins.SlimTv.Interfaces.UPnP.DataTypes.UPnPDtChannelList.DoSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Common.UPnPExtendedDataType.SoapSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.DeviceTree.DvExtendedDataType.SoapSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.DeviceTree.DvArgument.SoapSerializeArgument(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)

[2015-11-22 09:03:09,359] [2860236] [27 ] [DEBUG] - Source : SlimTv.Interfaces
    [2015-11-22 09:03:09,359] [2860236] [27 ] [DEBUG] - Stack Trace:
    [2015-11-22 09:03:09,359] [2860236] [27 ] [DEBUG] - at MediaPortal.Plugins.SlimTv.Interfaces.UPnP.DataTypes.UPnPDtChannelList.DoSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Common.UPnPExtendedDataType.SoapSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.DeviceTree.DvExtendedDataType.SoapSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.DeviceTree.DvArgument.SoapSerializeArgument(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)
    [2015-11-22 09:03:09,414] [2860291] [27 ] [ERROR] - Warn.: DvArgument: Error serializing argument value
    [2015-11-22 09:03:09,414] [2860291] [27 ] [DEBUG] - Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MediaPortal.Plugins.SlimTv.Interfaces.UPnP.DataTypes.UPnPDtChannelList.DoSerializeValue(Object value, Boolean forceSimpleValue, XmlWriter writer)

Client will Not Display TV channels when first started.... Must verify server, quit client and then client will see server side TV

[2015-11-22 09:01:17,956] [289046 ] [InputMgr ] [INFO ] - WorkflowManager: Pushing workflow state 'SlimTvClientMain' (id='c7646667-5e63-48c7-a490-a58ac9518cfa') onto the navigation stack...
    [2015-11-22 09:01:17,956] [289046 ] [InputMgr ] [DEBUG] - WorkflowManager: Loading GUI model '8bec1372-1c76-484c-8a69-c7f3103708ec'
    [2015-11-22 09:01:17,956] [289046 ] [InputMgr ] [DEBUG] - WorkflowManager: Using workflow model with id '8bec1372-1c76-484c-8a69-c7f3103708ec' for new workflow state 'c7646667-5e63-48c7-a490-a58ac9518cfa'
    [2015-11-22 09:01:17,966] [289056 ] [InputMgr ] [WARN ] - SlimTvHandler: No TV provider available (yet)
    [2015-11-22 09:01:17,966] [289056 ] [InputMgr ] [DEBUG] - WorkflowManager: Workflow model with id '8bec1372-1c76-484c-8a69-c7f3103708ec' doesn't accept the state being pushed onto the workflow context stack. Reverting to old workflow state.

Like the Server, Client has Lots of errors with UPnP

[2015-11-22 09:02:33,419] [1668 ] [46 ] [ERROR] - UPnPServer: Error handling HTTP request 'http://127.0.0.1:49381/upnphost/eve...:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1'
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.EventSubscription.Dispose()
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.GENAServerController.Unsubscribe(EndpointConfiguration config, String sid)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.GENAServerController.HandleHTTPRequest(IHttpRequest request, IHttpClientContext context, EndpointConfiguration config)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.UPnPServer.HandleHTTPRequest_NoLock(IHttpClientContext context, IHttpRequest request)
    [2015-11-22 09:02:33,423] [1672 ] [59 ] [ERROR] - UPnPServer: Error handling HTTP request 'http://127.0.0.1:49381/upnphost/eve...n:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1'
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.EventSubscription.Dispose()
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.GENAServerController.Unsubscribe(EndpointConfiguration config, String sid)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.GENA.GENAServerController.HandleHTTPRequest(IHttpRequest request, IHttpClientContext context, EndpointConfiguration config)
    at UPnP.Infrastructure.Dv.UPnPServer.HandleHTTPRequest_NoLock(IHttpClientContext context, IHttpRequest request)

Going into TV Still has Font Issues
    [2015-11-22 09:03:57,452] [85701 ] [AMQ 'ScreenManager'] [WARN ] - ContentManager: Could not get FontFamily 'Default', using default
    [2015-11-22 09:04:15,822] [104071 ] [DX Render] [WARN ] - ContentManager: Could not get FontFamily 'Default', using default

Plus going back to Home screen
    [2015-11-22 09:05:09,769] [158018 ] [InputMgr ] [DEBUG] - ScreenManager: Preparing to show screen 'home'...
    [2015-11-22 09:05:09,769] [158018 ] [InputMgr ] [DEBUG] - ScreenManager: Loading screen from file path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Plugins\Titanium\Skin\Titanium\screens\home.xaml'...
    [2015-11-22 09:05:09,789] [158038 ] [Thread15 ] [WARN ] - ThreadPool.ProcessQueue(): Exception during processing work ''
    System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNextRare()
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNext()
    at MediaPortal.Plugins.SlimTv.Client.Models.SlimTvClientModel.GetNowAndNextProgramsList()
    at MediaPortal.Common.Threading.Work.Process()
    at MediaPortal.Common.Services.Threading.ThreadPool.ProcessQueue()

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Client Only.....
    Uninstaller still leaves MP2-ClientLauncher and MP2-ServiceMonitor running
    Reboot or Force Quit required on each before Folders can be deleted.
    No messages indicating these have not been stopped or the folders not removed

Server Only
    Uninstaller still leaves MP2-ServiceMonitor running
    Reboot or Force Quit required on each before Folders can be deleted.
    No messages indicating these have not been stopped or the folders not removed

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi everybody,

I upgraded more or less without issues. I had not stopped anything before launching the setup and received the message that some elements had to be stopped first, Manually terminating the service monitor and then continuing the install led to a functional setup.

• Installer: My suggestion about the install would be to combine the comlete process into the same one window. Personally I find the second window that opens slightly confusing. Probably already something on your to-do list.
    • Usability: It is already an excellent software. However, before being I will really replace the MP1 setup, I believe that a dynamic media source management is required. For example some episodes of my series have English summaries (I guess that German was noit yet available when I first loaded them). Also adding new entries to the media sources should be automatically recognized. Again, I trust that this will eventually be put in place.
    • Remote: It could be me, but some

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    (IMHO by far) the most important plugin of MP
    At least the most important plugin that is not jet available. ;)

It will bring MP2 to the whole world of devices that are available out there. Smart-TV, network enabled AVR and Settop boxes, TV sticks, Raspberry Pi and similar, mobile devices with Android or iOS, computer with MacOS or Linux and so on...

This is the good thing about an open standard like DLNA that is available everywhere. Today we are living in a world where Windows no longer is the only "serious" environment and with such standards it's easy to leave the boundaries of Windows without the hassle to build our own software for every device..

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi.
    It will bring MP2 to the whole world of devices that are available out there. Smart-TV, network enabled AVR and Settop boxes, TV sticks, Raspberry Pi and similar, mobile devices with Android or iOS, computer with MacOS or Linux and so on...
    I agree completely.
    DLNA opens a new world.
    Think about all non android smart tvs (or every other device that can't run kodi).
    Bye,
    sdf

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here just my 2cents ....

To be honest - i have been trying MP2 now for the fist time. So maybe there are some points mentioned out here in the the forum. But anyway here are my impressions.

1. Installation and Configuration is easy straight forward. As yearlong MP1 user no issue at all ;)
    2. GUI looks like not fluid as feels in MP1 (no Skin related) - so i thought MP2 will bring up more performance to the GUI stuff. I´m a little bit disappointed
    3. Channel switching takes longer times as in MP1 - also sometime Switching does not work every time
    4. Missing to hide "ALL-Channels" form TV group - also under TV-EPG the DVB-Radio "All-Channels" are listed ... so would be great to configure that stuff
    5. Would like to prefer to configure the EPG-Lines for the Mini-EPG (hopefully it´s called like that)

So for me i will let MP2 installed, to check the improvements week by week ...

On question at the end - Maybe i´m wrong could it be, that TV is not handled by the normal SMB (UNC) stuff? I mean in MP1 you could confige "experimental TV setting use UNC" - maybe thats why the TV stuff in MP1 is faster?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2. GUI looks like not fluid as feels in MP1 (no Skin related) - so i thought MP2 will bring up more performance to the GUI stuff. I´m a little bit disappointed
    3. Channel switching takes longer times as in MP1 - also sometime Switching does not work every time
    This I can confirm. Navigation is for moments slow, as if something loading in the background. This is for me one of the biggest problems I read often in the forum, so I hope that the skin engine or whatever is causing this can be faster. I tried to use smaller tile images in jpg instead of png format, but it did unfortunately not improve it yet. There must be something else. Solving this is for me more important as new functions as DLNA. At first the basic functions need to be "stable", then new features can come.

Additionally I have since some month some problems, which are unfortunately not recorded in the log files.
    • When I press the power button in MP2, MP2 sometimes completely gets frozen. Even with Task Manager I need several attempts until the process can be stopped.
    • After closing MP2 2 windows pop up with a message "Exceptional error, ...". This is not critical, because MP2 already closed, but not nice. I have read from others about the same error.

Please give me an advice, if I should check/test/post something else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom