MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (3 Viewers)

henkvantol

Portal Member
January 21, 2009
Now I only have to find out how to get DTS audio. Any ideas?

Not possible even in theory, please see the first pos for more details (basicly passthru is not possible and there is no open source DTS encoding utils available for encoding the resampled audio).

Thanks tourettes,

Now I know I won't have to look any further.

Regards Henk

henkvantol

Portal Member
January 21, 2009
Hi everyone,

Most material (HD-material) runs flawless but I have a few dvd's that doesn't run smooth.:confused:

I have included some logs, perhaps that there is someone who can point out to me what is going wrong.

With kind regards,

Henk

View attachment 73266

View attachment 73267

GraphStudio.JPG

View attachment 73269

Screenshot MP.JPG

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Most material (HD-material) runs flawless but I have a few dvd's that doesn't run smooth.:confused:

I'm assuming those are PAL DVDs. At least EVR log would point into that direction. Have you tried any other MPEG2 decoder than ffdshow? Somehow I suspect that the actual video decoder is not working nicely since audio renderer is not trying to timestretch (like it shouldn't on PAL material with 50 Hz). Try for example the Windows 7 MPEG2 decoder, I haven't had any single DVD that has issues with it.

If the different MPEG2 decoder wont help then I would need a sample of that DVD to test it locally.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    On the render stats screen, it's reporting sample times for 24Hz (41.708 ms).....so I would agree that the video decoder is probably not behaving correctly.

Tony

henkvantol

Portal Member
    January 21, 2009

I'm assuming those are PAL DVDs. At least EVR log would point into that direction. Have you tried any other MPEG2 decoder than ffdshow? Somehow I suspect that the actual video decoder is not working nicely since audio renderer is not trying to timestretch (like it shouldn't on PAL material with 50 Hz). Try for example the Windows 7 MPEG2 decoder, I haven't had any single DVD that has issues with it.

If the different MPEG2 decoder wont help then I would need a sample of that DVD to test it locally.

Do I have to install that MPEG2 decoder or can I choose it directly in MP. Is it called "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"?

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards Henk

henkvantol

Portal Member
    January 21, 2009
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

Is it called "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"?
    Yes, that one.

Hi guys,

I have tried the Windows 7 video codec but the result is not better.....its even worse. See attachment!

Tourettes, tomorrow I will make a sample of the DVD. How can I send it to you? Do I have to attach it to a reply?

Regards Henk

Screenshot MP2.JPG

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Is it called "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"?
    Yes, that one.

Hi guys,

I have tried the Windows 7 video codec but the result is not better.....its even worse. See attachment!

Tourettes, tomorrow I will make a sample of the DVD. How can I send it to you? Do I have to attach it to a reply?

Regards Henk

View attachment 73292

Result indeed is not that much better (graph is a bit more stable but nothing that 25/50 fps should look on 50Hz :)).

you can send the sample clip of the DVD to

Address: ftp.team-mediaportal.com
    Login: tsdump@team-mediaportal.com
    Password: mpuser88

Make sure that the sample is triggering the same issue (could be some mastering issue on the dvd and extracing a samlple of the disk could fix the issue :)). Also check if the issue is happening with other media players as well´.

henkvantol

Portal Member
    January 21, 2009

Yes, that one.

Hi guys,

Regards Henk

View attachment 73292

Result indeed is not that much better (graph is a bit more stable but nothing that 25/50 fps should look on 50Hz :)).

you can send the sample clip of the DVD to

Address: ftp.team-mediaportal.com
    Login: tsdump@team-mediaportal.com
    Password: mpuser88

Make sure that the sample is triggering the same issue (could be some mastering issue on the dvd and extracing a samlple of the disk could fix the issue :)). Also check if the issue is happening with other media players as well´.

Hello Tourettes,

I am trying to make a sample from the DVD but I am having trouble doing so. Could you tell me what program I could use to make a sample. By the way MediaInfo says that the DVD has 23,976 fps and is NTSC. Could that be the problem?

Regards Henk

Screenshot MediaInfo.JPG

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

I am trying to make a sample from the DVD but I am having trouble doing so. Could you tell me what program I could use to make a sample.

Select one of the VOB files and copy it :) (requires 1GB upload + some copyprotection removal tool).
    By the way MediaInfo says that the DVD has 23,976 fps and is NTSC. Could that be the problem?

Yes, it would be the source of the issue since EVR presenter sees the video as PAL 50 fps.

11-12-2010 09:48:36.295 [1314]MF_MT_FRAME_RATE: 50.000 fps

There is not that much the audio renderer (or most likely even the EVR presenter) can do about the issue. MPEG2 decoder / EVR mixer is providing wrong information to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom