MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality | Page 125

Discussion in 'General Development (no feature request here!)' started by tourettes, July 12, 2010.

1. miroslav22
    • Premium Supporter

miroslav22 Development Group Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I've just started using MPAR and it's working really well. The picture looks sharper with panning shots on 24p material.

I use an ATI 5870 and it doesn't seem to support many audio output formats in WASAPI mode. At the moment I don't have an audio receiver so the card is connected straight to the TV. The WASAPI test tool reports that basically I can pretty much only get 44.1/48khz 16bit stereo. Is this a limitation of the card/drivers, or am I being limited to the audio output formats that the TV can receive?

I am going to buy a receiver soon, so if this is a limitation of the video card/drivers then what is my best option? Do nvidia cards support the full range of formats using WASAPI (ie 96/192khz, 24bit, 7.1 channels etc)? Should I buy a cheap nvidia 4xx card just for HDMI audio output?

Many thanks for any help,

Jon

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,132 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    It's a limitation of the audio formats the TV can support - the video card drivers read the EDID data from the connected device (the 'sink' in HDMI speak) and only offer audio formats it can handle. If you are interested try running EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager - it displays the EDID info in an easy-to-read form.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  4. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    As a workaround you can use ffdshow audio decoder and downmix to stereo. At some day the MP Audio Renderer will be able to do downmixing on own, but currently you need to use 3rd party solution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. miroslav22
    • Premium Supporter

miroslav22 Development Group Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 0
    Home Country:
    Brill thanks :)

Does the ATI 24-bit limitation mentioned in the first post still apply with the latest drivers?

6. gibman
    • Premium Supporter

gibman Retired Team Member

Developer
    Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    before wathcing a movie I often do some skip steps into the movie. eg +5min etc. just to verify the quality etc.

this often ends up stopping playback and returning back to the moving picture context.

this ONLY happens when using the mp audio renderer.

anyone else seen this ?

it happens 20% of the time when I use skip steps.

/gibman

7. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Hasn't happened during the last 6 to 8 months when I have used the audio renderer on HTPC in daily use. No clue what could cause it. Does using skip steps during the movie itself cause same thing to happen? Also doe sthe audio renderer or MP log show anything interesting?

8. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Hard to say, haven't owned an ATI HW after 3450 fiasco :) If it is still not supported just use downsampling to 16 bit in ffdshow until we have a resampler in the audio renderer (and that can "pad" the 24 bit to 32 bit without losing quality).

9. Sinbe

Sinbe Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    None that I can find. I gave up and have Girder switch my default soundcard to Realtek with the same key that starts MP.

I got rid of any dropped frames by switching from dual display to just one while running MP. For some reason the sync wasn't working perfectly when two displays were both in use. Thanks to whoever hinted this might be causing dropped frames.

Can you elaborate this?

10. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,132 / 1
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
  11. red5goahead
    • Premium Supporter

red5goahead MP Donator

Software engineering
    Ratings:
    +144 / 1
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Show System Specs
    Hi SoundTouch quality settings exposed will be possible in the future to test a version without time stretching but using resampling ? I prefer time streching indeed for fps adapting for the pitch but could be interesing to value the quality issue between two methods. :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!