MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (3 Viewers)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I've just started using MPAR and it's working really well. The picture looks sharper with panning shots on 24p material.

I use an ATI 5870 and it doesn't seem to support many audio output formats in WASAPI mode. At the moment I don't have an audio receiver so the card is connected straight to the TV. The WASAPI test tool reports that basically I can pretty much only get 44.1/48khz 16bit stereo. Is this a limitation of the card/drivers, or am I being limited to the audio output formats that the TV can receive?

I am going to buy a receiver soon, so if this is a limitation of the video card/drivers then what is my best option? Do nvidia cards support the full range of formats using WASAPI (ie 96/192khz, 24bit, 7.1 channels etc)? Should I buy a cheap nvidia 4xx card just for HDMI audio output?

Many thanks for any help,

Jon

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I use an ATI 5870 and it doesn't seem to support many audio output formats in WASAPI mode. At the moment I don't have an audio receiver so the card is connected straight to the TV. The WASAPI test tool reports that basically I can pretty much only get 44.1/48khz 16bit stereo. Is this a limitation of the card/drivers, or am I being limited to the audio output formats that the TV can receive?

I am going to buy a receiver soon, so if this is a limitation of the video card/drivers then what is my best option? Do nvidia cards support the full range of formats using WASAPI (ie 96/192khz, 24bit, 7.1 channels etc)? Should I buy a cheap nvidia 4xx card just for HDMI audio output?

As a workaround you can use ffdshow audio decoder and downmix to stereo. At some day the MP Audio Renderer will be able to do downmixing on own, but currently you need to use 3rd party solution.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Brill thanks :)

Does the ATI 24-bit limitation mentioned in the first post still apply with the latest drivers?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    before wathcing a movie I often do some skip steps into the movie. eg +5min etc. just to verify the quality etc.

this often ends up stopping playback and returning back to the moving picture context.

this ONLY happens when using the mp audio renderer.

anyone else seen this ?

it happens 20% of the time when I use skip steps.

/gibman

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    before wathcing a movie I often do some skip steps into the movie. eg +5min etc. just to verify the quality etc.

this often ends up stopping playback and returning back to the moving picture context.

this ONLY happens when using the mp audio renderer.

anyone else seen this ?

it happens 20% of the time when I use skip steps.

Hasn't happened during the last 6 to 8 months when I have used the audio renderer on HTPC in daily use. No clue what could cause it. Does using skip steps during the movie itself cause same thing to happen? Also doe sthe audio renderer or MP log show anything interesting?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Brill thanks :)

Does the ATI 24-bit limitation mentioned in the first post still apply with the latest drivers?

Hard to say, haven't owned an ATI HW after 3450 fiasco :) If it is still not supported just use downsampling to 16 bit in ffdshow until we have a resampler in the audio renderer (and that can "pad" the 24 bit to 32 bit without losing quality).

Sinbe

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Try disabling WASAPIUseEventMode setting in registry. If that wont help I guess there is not much that could be tried.

Tried it already, but it didn't work. I guess it's Creative at fault. Again. :mad:

Is there any SPDIF related modes / settings in the Creative's drivers? It might require such to be turned on so that AC3 can be used.

None that I can find. I gave up and have Girder switch my default soundcard to Realtek with the same key that starts MP.

I got rid of any dropped frames by switching from dual display to just one while running MP. For some reason the sync wasn't working perfectly when two displays were both in use. Thanks to whoever hinted this might be causing dropped frames.

Could it be the speaker configuration?
    I vaguely remember some cards did not support the standard 5.1/7.1 speaker arrangement and we had to patch the speaker mask.

Can you elaborate this?

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom