MediaPortal Audio Renderer setup - difference between 5.1 and 5.1 surround?

Discussion in 'watch/edit Videos' started by emphatic, February 13, 2014.

1. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    I've noticed recently that some voice dialog are missing (I see subtitles but hear nothing) when I watch media with Dolby Digital or DTS audio. If I bitstream the same stuff I hear the full dialog, so I guess there's something up with the speaker setup? In the MediaPortal Audio Renderer's setup, I can choose "5.1" or "5.1 (Surround)", what's the difference?

Emph

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. maiky
    • Premium Supporter

maiky MP Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    Try run som audio test movie "this is the left channel..." etc. Then you can try some different settings! But to answer your question, I have no Idea what the difference is :-(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. midasxxl

midasxxl Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    I always asked it myself, too. Either a strem is 5.1 or not. Sorround sound in its own sense is 4 channel or more

5. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,416 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    The difference is that 5.1 Surround is supposed to play the hall effects (back speakers)

6. breese
    • Premium Supporter

breese Retired Team Member

Sr. Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +768 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I use a number of different movies and music to test my audio system.
    One of the best is either version of the movie Fantasia. Makes great use of all channels.
    Also depending on the Amp being used (if one), most within the last 8 to 10 years have built in channel tests allowing for each channel and sub to be tested for volume and other settings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_surround_sound
    5.1 ("five point one") is the common name for six channel surround sound multichannel audio systems.
    All 5.1 systems use the same speaker channels and configuration, having a front left and right, a center channel, two surround channels and a subwoofer.

Regarding music, the main goal of 5.1 surround sound is a proper localization and equability of all acoustic sources for a centered positioned audience. Therefore ideally five matched speakers should be used.

• five speakers of the same size for front, center and surround
    • identical distance from the listeners for all five speakers
    • angle adjustment regarding viewing direction of audience: center 0°, front ±22.5° for movies ±30° for music, surround ±110°

7. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    So you're saying that "5.1" is only using center (, sub woofer if available) and front speakers, while "5.1 surround" uses all connected speakers? If true, that is just silly.

Emph

8. breese
    • Premium Supporter

Sr. Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +768 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    In a properly setup audio system (assuming the audio being played is in fact 5.1) the voices will move to the loaction of the people. In a Stereo (2 speaker setup and depending on the age of the music) the song should be ballanced between them. As a test there are a few older Beatle songs where they played with the audio. On a few of them the singer would come up on the left or right channel (I dont remember what song)
    Most Movies (while actors are on screen) will have the voices in the center channel, audio near or behind them from the Left and Right, and other sounds from the rear channel
    The Sub is limted to Base only. A good system will seperate the lower Freq thru the Base (sub) to get the greatest affects.

My uncle worked as a projectionist in the union here in Chicago for over 40 years. We use to build and rebuild audio systems.

EDIT: One of the greatest Stereo songs ever done was Free Bird.... If you really want to hear it in its glory and know what to listen for, get the Long version (recorderd in Alanta GA) and listen to the guitars the 2nd half... OMG it is Great!

9. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,416 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    No, that's not what I mean. Both will use all speakers, but 'Surround' will simply add some effects.

In your case the trouble with the system is the translation of the encoded DTS system to the analogue 5.1 setup. The respective handling is best done by the amplifier, instead of having Windows audio drivers take care of this. The latter is prone to trouble of your kind and can have different causes, ranging from inappropriate options to driver incompatibilities. IN essence why bother with using analogue decoding if you can have digital, unchanged signaling?

10. breese
    • Premium Supporter

Sr. Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +768 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    What is the connection between your MediaPortal box and Amp?
    I see you have a Dell. Depending on the model, there are a lot of them that have Optical connections. The cable is Cheep and gives the Amp the raw signal to deal with...
    I prefer this on my systems....

11. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but as stated in my System setup, I use HDMI (NVIDIA HD Audio) to my Sony AVR (currently, it used to be a Pioneer AVR using the same computer setup), so I don't understand why you'd think I was feeding my speakers some type of analogue audio. Did you read and fully understand my question in the original post?

I know what 5.1 and 7.1 sound is, DTS-EX etc, my question was about why the MediaPortal Audio Renderer, and it's vague descriptions...

Emph

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!