MediaPortal Audio Renderer setup - difference between 5.1 and 5.1 surround? (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Emph,

I can be as harsh as you: I didn't look into your system setup but simply answered to what you described in your first post. If you have the option of using fully digital signal processing, you should do so. MPAR is a source of multiple troubles but I will be the last one talking somebody out of his desires.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    HTPC_Sourcer:

In your first post you did (assuming you know what you're talking about), but then you assumed that I was using analogue connections. MPAR is still digital, it doesn't downsample the digital audio, it's the same audio I would get from my speakers (apart from the missing dialog) except it adjusts the A/V sync on-the-fly. ;) I would use bitstream audio if my video card TV combo would play nice, but alas, MPAR is the only way I could get smooth A/V working for 23.976/24/25/Hz.

breese: My point was that there was dialog missing that were supposed to be heard in speakers other than center channel, and I only knew about the missing dialog due to the subtitle showing it. They aren't the cause, only proof that not all audio was audible in my case.

Emph

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    dialog missing that were supposed to be heard in speakers other than center channel
    I understand that but would ask you turn off subtitltes to find out if it is something within that part of MP or not.
    If you know there is a section that shows the dialog but nothing comes out of the speakers, replay that part with subtitles off.
    If you hear the missing dialog, then it must be something within MP.
    Need to take this one step at a time if a Dev is going to help figure it out....

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To answer your question:
    AFAIK: 5.1 vs 5.1 surround refers to the position of the rear speakers in 5.1. Either to the side and slightly behind or quite far behind.

Regarding MPAR:
    When I play 7.1 audio test tracks and downmix in MPAR to 5.1 and 5.1 surround there appears to be no difference.

My suggestion (if using MPAR, ie audio reclock and not bitstreaming):
    Set MPAR to either (because i can find no difference). Use LAV to mix to 5.1 so you can enable a form of clipping protection.

As to why you were missing dialog. I suggest you listen to test audio video files in mepo. Check 5.1 AC3 + 5.1 AAC + 5.1 Dolby + 5.1 DTS + 5.1 DolbyHD + 5.1 DTSHD + 7.1 DTSHD + 7.1 Dolby You can find these via searching. If you check what audio format was in the movie you were testing that would be useful, as you could specifically test that format. Double check you are playing the correct audio screen (press F9)

Also: is the audio DTS 5.1 (lossy) or DTS Master HD 5.1 (lossless), because you need to have dtsdecoderdll.dll installed manually to use lav+mpar with lossless audio.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    "5.1" or "5.1 (Surround)", what's the difference?
    5.1 = Rear speakers behind sitting location
    5.1 Surround = Rear speakers to the side of the sitting location

Sadly I wrote that code so long ago now that I forget exactly what the difference was, but the channel layouts are different...

In most media input channels and output channels are a direct mapping to the same number:
    {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7}
    Input channel 0 is mapped to output channel 0 etc.

In one of the 5.1 setups (and I can't remember if this is surround or not) the channels are laid out as follows:
    {0,1,2,4,5,3,6,7}
    where input channel 3 is mapped to output channel 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 3.

Got curious enough that I went and looked it up;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound
    All the speaker setups are there (there are two 5.0 setups which can both become 5.1) in essence 5.1 and THX - you can count yourself lucky I removed the speaker lists once I realised it was THX :).

because you need to have dtsdecoderdll.dll installed manually to use lav+mpar with lossless audio.
    Not needed anymore with latest LAV:
    Code:
    LAV Audio:
    - NEW: Native DTS-HD decoding using libdcadec

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    To answer your question:
    AFAIK: 5.1 vs 5.1 surround refers to the position of the rear speakers in 5.1. Either to the side and slightly behind or quite far behind.

This makes more sense. My surround speakers are right next to the couch on each side, facing towards the TV. I've used the AVR's external microphone calibration, so they should compensate for the placement if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding MPAR:
    When I play 7.1 audio test tracks and downmix in MPAR to 5.1 and 5.1 surround there appears to be no difference.

I will check what is used now and change if needed.

Edit: I've enabled the "Force up/down mixing" option that wasn't checked.

My suggestion (if using MPAR, ie audio reclock and not bitstreaming):
    Set MPAR to either (because i can find no difference). Use LAV to mix to 5.1 so you can enable a form of clipping protection.

(y)

As to why you were missing dialog. I suggest you listen to test audio video files in mepo. Check 5.1 AC3 + 5.1 AAC + 5.1 Dolby + 5.1 DTS + 5.1 DolbyHD + 5.1 DTSHD + 7.1 DTSHD + 7.1 Dolby You can find these via searching. If you check what audio format was in the movie you were testing that would be useful, as you could specifically test that format. Double check you are playing the correct audio screen (press F9)

I'll see if I can locate some files by Google searching.

Also: is the audio DTS 5.1 (lossy) or DTS Master HD 5.1 (lossless), because you need to have dtsdecoderdll.dll installed manually to use lav+mpar with lossless audio.

I have it.

Emph

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My surround speakers are right next to the couch on each side, facing towards the TV.

They should face your sitting position ;)
    And based on your setup, set MPAR to '5.1 Surround'.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The mic calibration can only compensate for distance from mic, standing waves and frequency response. Doesn't compensate for the angle from listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom