MediaPortal crash (and restart) on LiveTV after Windows Update (Sep 2020) driver update for Intel HD Graphics 4600 (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes have paused Windows Updates for 30 days to end of October, WU will then auto enable and re-install bad driver and then I can roll back again and pause update for another 30 days.
    Although my HTPC runs Windows 7, I do have a laptop that runs Windows 10. It is still running Windows 10 version 1607, i.e. no forced updates to more-recent versions (so far).

I think (not 100% sure) that I achieved this by enabling the I am using a metered internet connection setting. Allegedly, this delays installation of automatic updates, but possibly not indefinitely. In my case it seems to have delayed updates so far.

This Microsoft page says this:
    Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren't by default.

So you could try enbling this setting and waiting to see if it re-installs the bad driver. Alternatively, the DDU tool mentioned by @joecrow may achieve the result that you want (but I have never used it myself).

Probably easier to buy a cheap LP video card (AMD, NVidia) and go down that path.
    Yes, this occurred to me too. You need to have a suitable free slot in each system, which might be a problem if the motherboard is ITX and the one-and-only slot is already occupied (e.g. with a TV tuner card).

I am currently building a new HTPC (for over a year now :eek:), and although I currently have an AMD card installed, my intention is to remove it and use the built-in Intel graphics adapter in order to minimise power consumption and heat production (the CPU is an Intel 6th generation i7). However, I will be using Windows 7 as the OS, and not Windows 10.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Had same issue - it's driver based - reverted to old MP version [1.24 I knew worked], no joy. Revert to older driver, issue fixed.

Testing - video content would play in MP no problem, issue was 100% in live TV, 1/5 seconds in and MePo would restart every time.:LOL:

Cheers - J.

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tested this on my Intel Core i7-4785T on a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mainboard.
    With the Intel HD Graphics driver version 15.40.47.5166, MediaPortal crashes when I try to play MPEG2 (SD) recordings/live TV. With H.264 (HD) ts files or live TV, it works.
    I also tested it with https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/download/1.9.8/MPC-HC.1.9.8.x64.zip which doesn't crash but just shows a black video when playing an MPEG2 ts file (sound is okay). H.264 works with MPC-HC. I disables all internal filters, so the system installes LAVFilter should be used by MPC-HC.

With diver version 15.40.42.5063, MediaPortal and MPC-HC can play MPEG2 and H.264 without problems.

My system doesn't try to update the Intel HD Graphics driver via Windows Update ... maybe because I bought he parts myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom