MediaPortal eats my brackets (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Recently I have been tidying up the TV recordings that I keep in a folder tree in the "Videos" section of MP, and I noticed something strange with regard to file names. The file name format that I use for recordings is:

"Title (Channel) Date Time"
    Example: "Stargate Atlantis (Pick) 2017-07-12 11.00.00"

For movies, I later add the year that the movie was made, to distinguish remakes from originals; the year is enclosed in square brackets:

"Title [year] (Channel) Date Time"
    Example: "Atlantic Rim [2013] (Horror Channel) 2017-07-20 11.00.00"

For episodes of TV series, I later add the series and episode numbers; these are also enclosed in square brackets:

Title [ss-ee] (Channel) Date Time"
    Example: "Stargate Atlantis [05-17] (Pick) 2017-07-12 11.00.00"

Now the puzzling part: to demonstrate the oddity, I copied one movie and one episode of a series into a folder in "Videos". This is the output from the Windows DIR command for that folder:

dir_screen.jpg

Notice that all files have the square brackets present in the name. But this is what that folder looks like in the "Videos" section of MP 1.16 using the "DefaultWideHD" skin:

videos_screen.jpg

Notice that the file name of the movie includes the square brackets, but the file name of the episode omits the square brackets and the data between them. :eek: Where have they gone? :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The reason seems to be that the pattern "[" + <1 or 2 digits> + "-" + <1 or 2 digits> + "]" is a marker for "stacking" (ie. multi-disc/part files).
    The first digit(s) are the part number; the second digit(s) are the total number of parts.

Choose a different pattern! :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I remembered last night that the "Delete" dialogue displays the file name, so I have just booted my MP 1.16f partition and repeated the actions described above. Strangely, the file name shown in the "Delete" dialogue does include the square brackets:

delete_screen.jpg

Which view - shares or database?
    It is "shares view". I don't actually know what you mean by "database view". :confused:

By the way, it is about time that "shares view" was renamed "folders view". I really doubt that non-techie users know what "shares view" means. ("Shares? Aren't they something to do with the Stock Exchange?")

I also had a look at the MP log file (I run with DEBUG mode active all of the time). There is not a single line in the log file containing the word "Stargate" (so probably not of much help, but I can attach it if required).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't see an option to view by database.
    It is "shares view". I don't actually know what you mean by "database view". :confused:
    :eek:
    Database Views - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki
    Shares View - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

By the way, it is about time that "shares view" was renamed "folders view". I really doubt that non-techie users know what "shares view" means. ("Shares? Aren't they something to do with the Stock Exchange?")
    Don't know how you can be giving this kind of advice if you don't know what the difference between share and database views are.

Nevertheless, in my opinion this'll never happen. It's been a core element of MP for years. Changing it now would require a huge effort for [IMHO] relatively little gain.

Please read my previous reply. Use a different naming pattern; the one you're using is reserved for stacking.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The reason seems to be that the pattern "[" + <1 or 2 digits> + "-" + <1 or 2 digits> + "]" is a marker for "stacking" (ie. multi-disc/part files).
    Something that I have never explored (so far)! Thank you for explaining this. :)

Choose a different pattern! :)
    I have already tried using braces in place of square brackets ("{05-17}" in place of "[05-17]"), and they display as expected. But I prefer square brackets to braces, so I think that I will use the dot as the separator ("[05.17]"), as that also displays correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom