[News] MediaPortal Feature Freeze and Skin Editor (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If the text cannot be zoomed and considering the amount of magnification, I'd rather see no zoom at all, just a frame around the selected item.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    In my humble opinion, the code freeze should have been set in place 4 months ago, as it seems that MP is trying to integrate more and more features and forgetting about usability and speed.

I really can't wait for a beta release of meediOS (which should be several fold faster than MP and will hopefully give MP some direction for their future development).

Have fun and good bye

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    In my humble opinion, the code freeze should have been set in place 4 months ago, as it seems that MP is trying to integrate more and more features and forgetting about usability and speed.

I really can't wait for a beta release of meediOS (which should be several fold faster than MP and will hopefully give MP some direction for their future development).

See the thing is, no-one can use meediOS yet, so no-one can test it, so no-one can find fault with it.

A bit like "the new Chrysler Kerplunker is going to blow all the other cars of the road in a years time when it is released"

Personally I prefer my Honda Accord, "everything just works":p

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Some minor bugs in Media Portal do not stop me from using and enjoying it. To me MP is stable and usable enough. MediaPortal is the best!!

messo001

Portal Member
    July 11, 2009
    My post was not meant to be an offense but was just an observation. MP gets more and more features and gets more bloated by each release. Just to give you an idea/comparison: Why do you think uTorrent became popular? Because it had the best features? Or maybe because it was so slim & user-friendly that everyone could use it?

Anyways, in the end, the more features you integrate into MP the less people will want to use MP and those features. Check <<<<<<this>>>>>> out if you want to know why choice is evil ;)

Have fun and good bye

Given that you are a "MP developer": OMG
    And given the nature of your post, you probably wont understand the video I posted above; please post if you need me to explain in really simple terms. I'd be glad to.

See the thing is, no-one can use meediOS yet, so no-one can test it, so no-one can find fault with it.

Fair point mate ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I tried out MeediOS and found it to be incredibly unstable at best. And, oh wait, MeediOS ALSO gives you a wast number of choices :)

After reading several topics in the forum and trying to set it up manually I still couldn't get MeediOS to do something simple as show a list from a specified folder.

BTW: I really don't see, which user-unfriendly, bloated features MP has introduced from 1.0.2 and to the current SVN. But perhaps thats just me :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    My post was not meant to be an offense but was just an observation. MP gets more and more features and gets more bloated by each release.

Please explain what new features have been added to the 1.1.0 release to make MP bloated? You can use Roadmap - MediaPortal Bugtracker to see the bug fixes and new features available in 1.1.0 release.

During the last few years MP has been slimmed down a lot (many plugins have been removed and "out sourced" from the core release).

And if the bloated comment is directed to all MediaPortal releases / current state please open a new thread about it and explain what bloat there is at corrent state. After all this thread is for only one specific release and discussing general issues are making this thread itself bloat :) And please remember that one thing that is bloat or unnescessary for someone might be a must have feature for someone else. After all, we cannot make a custom MP version to match only one person needs so you need to think in a bigger scope.

After you have done the "bloat" analysis (remember that on source code level the feature complexity might be completely different than on the side that is visible to the end user) I'll promise to have a look on that list and comment those findings.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    My post was not meant to be an offense but was just an observation. MP gets more and more features and gets more bloated by each release. Just to give you an idea/comparison: Why do you think uTorrent became popular? Because it had the best features? Or maybe because it was so slim & user-friendly that everyone could use it?

Anyways, in the end, the more features you integrate into MP the less people will want to use MP and those features. Check <<<<<<this>>>>>> out if you want to know why choice is evil ;)

Have fun and good bye

Given that you are a "MP developer": OMG
    And given the nature of your post, you probably wont understand the video I posted above; please post if you need me to explain in really simple terms. I'd be glad to.

Yes, please speak very slooooooowly, so that i understand.

Sorry, but you were sounding offensive. And this was not the first type of such a post on that day.

Look what's going on in all the forums. people are crying for new features.
    If we don't apply them, 1/2 is nagging. if we apply them the other 1/2 is telling us the product gets unstable.
    All of us spend their free time in creating a product, which works very well. that's at leat what i think, otherwise i won't do it.

And it's not motivating if we get told over and over that we're doing crap.
    If you like the MeediOS stuff more than MP. Fine.
    No one is forcing you to use MP.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Damn ... there is a lot of "bitching" going on lately
    ... and as hwahrmann says; both regarding missing features and the introduction of features.

Speaking your mind is fine, but be polite and constructive.

This might be a good time to remind people about some of the forum rules:
    (...)
    If you have got a problem with someone or a member is insulting you, then report the post by clicking at the "report post" button or directly get in contact with one of our Moderators/Admins.
    Do not insult the person who offended you, or we will also have to take actions against you.

Be courteous & polite. Show respect to the opinions & feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
    Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words & any harm they may cause.
    Deviance from these guidelines may ultimately lead to disciplinary actions.

(...)

Saying why you dislike something is fine, but be constructive about it and don’t rant or bring it up in every single thread, whether or not that thread is about your pet topic.

Always keep discussions on topic. This applies especially to official threads. If you need to make a post off-topic from the original subject of the thread, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

And:
    REMEMBER THAT MEDIAPORTAL IS A FREE APPLICATION.
    ALL DEVELOPMENT, SUPPORT ETC IS BEING DONE BY DEVOTED PEOPLE IN THEIR FREE TIME.

KEYWORD: MOTIVATION
    THINK ABOUT HOW YOUR POSTS AFFECTS PEOPLES MOTIVATION!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom