Mediaportal is completely reliable. However (1 Viewer)

Angus Macdonald

Portal Member
July 25, 2017
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
It's true, I've used Mediaportal for several years, including a couple of OS upgrades and it has never missed a beat. It's a fantastic achievement.

However.

Every time my computer resumes from hibernation, MP launches full-screen. It would be very convenient if I always wanted to use it but the PC on which it is installed is general purpose and acts as the TVServer for a couple of other PCs in the house. I've tried all the options I can think of in the main GUI and Powerscheduler but can find nothing remotely like "show fullscreen when resuming". I did think it might have been EventGhost, somehow, but its log shows nothing and killing it didn't help either.

I considered not having it running all the time but Powerscheduler is configured to only stand by if the client is running and unticking that option forces the PC to go to sleep in seconds, regardless of what I'm using it for at the time.

So, have I missed the magic tickbox that stops MP reappearing at resume?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Angus, there's no setting that I'm aware of.
    What causes you to expect MP to not be fullscreen on resume?
    I mean, MP has no way to automatically know that you don't intend to use MP after standby. So, as far as I'm aware, the only reason MP would not be fullscreen after resume would be if MP wasn't fullscreen before standby.
    That leads to ask what the MP conditions are before standby:
    • windowed or full screen?
    • minimised to system tray or task bar?

Angus Macdonald

Portal Member
    July 25, 2017
    Home Country
    It launches full screen at every resume, regardless of whether it was visible or not at hibernation. It's configured to close to system tray. I'd like it to resume in the state it was last in, ie hidden if previously hidden or full screen if previously full screen. This isn't normal behaviour for any other application so MP must be configured to do so. I just can't find out what I've done to prompt it.

Angus Macdonald

Portal Member
    July 25, 2017
    Home Country
    Resume is triggered either manually or for scheduled recording.

I'm no longer thinking it's MP though. The fact that nobody has jumped in with "you just tick box X on page Y" makes me think (a) it has to be something external and (b) that civil internet forums still exist. Something big like this couldn't possibly only apply to me if it was standard behaviour so it must be something I've done myself, back when I thought running MP at every resume was a good thing.

Thanks for sending me in a better direction.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Resume is triggered either manually
    Please could you be more specific! :)
    For example, if you do it with a keyboard or remote, which button do you press? (Wondering if the button choice could be the issue => resume and full screen.)

I'm no longer thinking it's MP though. The fact that nobody has jumped in with "you just tick box X on page Y" makes me think (a) it has to be something external...
    Personally I still think it's possible that MP is doing this.
    Like I said, there's no setting that I'm aware of, so nothing to say on that front.
    The other important point to make is: most people who use MP don't use it in such a mixed way. By that I mean, they either (a) always use MP in full screen (ie. dedicated HTPC) or (b) use MP on a general purpose PC but mostly use windowed mode and/or don't close MP to the system tray.

...and (b) that civil internet forums still exist.
    :)

Something big like this couldn't possibly only apply to me if it was standard behaviour so it must be something I've done myself, back when I thought running MP at every resume was a good thing.
    As above: I'm not yet convinced.
    I may have a chance to try to reproduce this myself in a few hours.

You're using MP 1.17, right?

Angus Macdonald

Portal Member
    July 25, 2017
    Home Country
    Yes, 1.17 although it's done it for as long as I can remember. I think I started with 1.11 or whatever was current around 2012.

Manual resume is very often with a tap on the spacebar, although a mouse click sometimes substitutes, as does a press on the chassis power key. The remote (Emprex sort-of-media-center thing) will do it too although it's rare that I start the PC that way. All methods cause MP to resume full-screen, as does any resume for a scheduled recording or my daily startup scheduled task (to import Digiguide data with XMLTV).

Perhaps I'll configure everything for windowed mode and see if that changes anything.
    Thanks again

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Surely, i didn't remember exactly :(
    I remember that there is some issue when using MP to systray maybe upon the suspended / resumed
    Not sure if it's totally related.

Or i have something in mind, when going to suspend or on resume, the GPU resolution can change to 1024*768 then avoid it permit to have MP restored correctly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom