[Blog] MediaPortal Mobile Access (1 Viewer)

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    I do not see how legacy apps (i.e. x86 binaries) will run on ARM-based windows tablets in any meaningful way. While they could in theory use x86 emulation, it would be very slow and power-hungry, I just don't see it being practical, so you'd have to wait for ARM versions of your existing apps.

Just following up on this, since Microsoft has finally seen fit to stop dicking about and confirm it; there will be no Windows 8 ARM support for x86 apps. So it seems like Windows 8 ARM devices will indeed be very much the second class citizens of the Windows world, unable to do the one thing that might have given them an edge over Android and iOS tablets, i.e. run existing Windows apps. It was obvious, but the way Microsoft has danced around actually admitting it says to me that they realise it's a big problem for them.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just following up on this, since Microsoft has finally seen fit to stop dicking about and confirm it; there will be no Windows 8 ARM support for x86 apps. So it seems like Windows 8 ARM devices will indeed be very much the second class citizens of the Windows world, unable to do the one thing that might have given them an edge over Android and iOS tablets, i.e. run existing Windows apps. It was obvious, but the way Microsoft has danced around actually admitting it says to me that they realise it's a big problem for them.

It is quite obvious that there is no x86 application support on ARM platfrom. They are completely different CPU architectures so it would require emulation - and since ARM is much slower architecture right now it would be really slow in running the emulated x86 code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
    restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
    Earlier this year I changed my internet service provider from a landline (where I was consistently overcharged), to a mains-powered...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 [News] MediaPortal 2 - 2.5 Release DE
    Will be version 2.5.1 ready quite soon? I read somewhere it will be a bugfix release, no new features are probably not in focus.
    Will be version 2.5.1 ready quite soon? I read somewhere it will be a bugfix release, no new features are probably not in focus.
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.5 MediaPortal 2.5 is a full-blown media center software that addresses most common user...
    Replies
    Views
    Your log clearly reports: [2024-03-03 18:26:58,258] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Wait for TV service requested [2024-03-03 18:26:58,262] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: TV service found. Checking status... [2024-03-03 18:26:58,263] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: TV service is in status Running - proceeding...
    Your log clearly reports: [2024-03-03 18:26:58,258] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: Wait for TV service requested...
    MediaPortal 1.33 Release Written by Team-MediaPortal. We have just released MediaPortal 1.33 - Springtime / 20th Anniversary...
    Replies
    Views
    (egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
    (egg in face) I had to dnld SD plugin mpe1 to re install. trying again Thnx
    Pre Releases are provided as a way for the community to test and give feedback on all the exciting things we have lined up for the...
    Replies
    Views
    Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that apparent errors are not rare, but these are "errors" that do not affect the functioning of the product. (It is not desirable to have these errors in the log file, as it misleads users, testers, and...
    Good. I am pleased that that is now working for you. :) If you have ever looked at MP debug log files, you may have noticed that...
    Hi, I am reinstalling MediaPortal 1.13 on a new W10 64Bit computer. In need to use this old version because of TVWishlist. So my...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom