MediaPortal on ITX (1 Viewer)

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if i switch from EVR to VMR9 everything seems fine in playing the mentioned contents... just my system is not stable anymore outside the videos...

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    You are using Vista right? What about EVR? Does this content look fine with EVR? and also could you please provide information on the NVIDIA drivers that you are using and which codecs.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the content is looking fine, but not playing smooth... ;)

coreavc seems to be one of the best alternatives, but in combination with tsreader and .ts files there are few problems. i will try more when i have some freetime, but this can take some time

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I also did try CoreAVC with CUDA the results are the one you describe BUT VMR9 framerate is not going over 45 fps which is not smooth enough. You should see 49-50 fps in VMR9 when you play 25 fps interlaced material. So 47 is not a GO. Although i have to admit that deinterlace is working with CUDA.

Thank you for providing those results. We still need more.

What i want to try now is to output the interlace source as is and use only DXVA on it, so no deinterlacing, force my output to 25i over HDMI and see if my TV will be able to deinterlace the source properly. Anyone ever tried it

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Just installed windows VISTA 32 and played both samples with EVR and MP-HC and they both deinterlace correctly.

Any ideas as to what is preventing VMR9 from correctly deinterlacing? I do hope it is NVIDIA drivers and that i can go back to XP since VISTA is not my favorite OS.

EDIT:

After extensive testing i found out that although EVR is deinterlacing correctly i get dropped frames and jitter which is not the case with VMR9, i also noticed that EVR is stressing the CPU more than VMR9 does. So till now my results are as following:

XP/DXVA/VMR9-->1080p-->smooth 100%

XP/DXVA/VMR9-->1080i-->smooth 100% (deinterlacing fails)

VISTA/DXVA/EVR-->1080p-->not as smooth as VMR9 but still OK (dropped frames occur)

VISTA/DXVA/EVR-->1080i-->definitely not smooth with fps going as low as 30 instead of 50 on 25i content (deinterlace is PERFECT)

So is there anyone here that has this mobo, or an ION GPU , is using XP with VMR9 and is able to watch 1080i HDTV? If yes i would like some info regarding system setup codecs etc.

P.S. I have dedicated a lot of time to DXVA so things like "make sure that you are using the right codecs" is not a case here.

Thank you in advance guys, any help is welcome.

P.S.2 Have you tried OCing this mobo? Both GPU and CPU? If yes have you seen video performance improvement?

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Ok after more testing under XP i noticed that both of the samples are mbaff interlaced and there is where deinterlacing is failing.

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, I just tried that Wimbledon 1080i sample and MediaPortal isn't playing it at all (have no idea why and how to figure that out). But running it in Windows Media Player 11 plays it just fine (I assume it should use same codecs as MP cause it prompts me saying that it doesn't know the format and asks whether it should try playing it anyway). By 'just fine' I mean that I don't see any stuttering. I don't know how to check for FPS - so if you want, let me know how to do that and I can try it again. Mind you, my TV is NTSC (North America) and I don't know if it's suppose to be 50 fps for NTSC?

P.S. Weird that I wasn't notified on my email of any activity here until the very last message from Kotik.

UPDATE: Actually, renaming .ts to .mkv resulted in playing the file in MP. Seems fine to me. I've got 32" LCD so maybe I don't notice deinterlacing issues that are seen on a bigger screens? Not sure as I have never tried watching 1080i before.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Ok the best way to test is the following:

You will need MPC-HC latest SVN can be found here, download only the standalone player.

Haali Media Splitter and PowerDVD H.264 codec.

In MPC-HC disable any internal splitter/codec and on the external codecs tab select powerdvd and set it to prefer.

This way the video will open using powerdvd codec and haali splitter. Check in MPC-HC for dxva status (it will report it left lower corner) and after that check for interlacing artifacts.

P.S. prefer to watch my sample since interlacing artifact are more visible there.

Thanx in advance for trying to help.

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hrmm.. I'm confused. The link you provided points at filters only package with no MPC-HC executable. I've downloaded the executable from the official site (I don't have 7z archiver which I need to unpack the SVN version).

Update 1: well, I tried playing it in MPC-HC (with only powerDvd codec enabled) and it plays fine. However I don't see any dxva status information. I selected 'Information' and 'Statistics' in the View menu but the resulting set of details doesn't say anything about dxva. Frame rate there is displayed as 0.00 (1x). Since this is not an SVN version, maybe that statistics info is disabled?

.. More to follow..

P.S. What is your sample? I'm using the Wimbledon one from earlier in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom