MediaPortal on ITX (3 Viewers)

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Stoked you were absolutely right with Windows XP. I've just tried XP and MP 1.0.2 (resolution 1680x1050) and there has been a HUGE improvement in video performance! :eek:
    I can't believe this :rolleyes:
    You can see the screenshot!

Sorry, are you being sarcastic? Wasn't sure with all the rolley eyes and stuff. I noticed the Last FPS was 0 in the screenshot.

No, no sarcasm. Look at the second line VMR9 50,00 avg fps: 49,92 and DROPPED:0 that's great!
    Big thanks for your idea to try Zotac with Win XP. Now I have absolutely quiet and low power HTPC.
    :D

Good to hear it's working well for you now. I never like Vista, just another reason! =D

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey guys, just wanted to confirm - XP + MP + 720p (MKV, WMV) on Zotac ION + 330 Atom works just fine with no performance issues? I would think so before reading this thread - I am about to order parts to build MP Client and mount in on the back of my LCD, but few different comments made me confused about the performance of the hardware.

I think ITX with ION + Atom is the best thing that happened to HTPC since forever. I want a little HTPC that will sit behind my TV away from my eyes.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i have vista on my zotac ion a. works like a charm. only 1080i wmv is stuttering... but the cpu load is not above 35%. but this could also caused by the refreh rate, because the video is 24hz, but my current lcd doesn't support 24p. i tried it with 50hz.

everything else is working fine for me. no prolems at all with vista and aero disabled...

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    i have vista on my zotac ion a. works like a charm. only 1080i wmv is stuttering... but the cpu load is not above 35%. but this could also caused by the refreh rate, because the video is 24hz, but my current lcd doesn't support 24p. i tried it with 50hz.

everything else is working fine for me. no prolems at all with vista and aero disabled...

Great to know, thanks! Will order my little tiny box :) All I need know is to figure out which USB TV tuner to use with it.

OnkelChris

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i think the problem is not the MP version (in my case).... I thinkt it's just the refresh rate. I don't have any 1080p material. If I would have, I could give it a try

did some fast testing... WMV 1080p runs smooth (just 1-2 sec sound stutter at the beginning). WMV 1080i video runs smooth, but sound is out of sync and stuttering extreme. So it could be a codec thing (audio output via toslink). The Wimbledon HD example on page 3 or 4 of this thread plays back sound perfect, but no video at all. will do some more "research" at the weekend ;)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    XP simply rule over HTPC world :)

Hoborg is absolutely right.

Mostly because most of the systems today are still running XP, this way it is much easier to troubleshoot any problems or errors.

BTW just setup my ION system too with the single core MOBO from ZOTAC and win xp. All i can say is that it is running smooth on all the aspects. Behaves the way you would expect from a media pc.

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for your replies, guys! I've ordered my Zotac Atom 330 system, will build it soon and post my experiences here.

Berns

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Tinyputers,

Server side:
    My setup is similar to your expectations. I have a 6 year old pentium single core with xp running 2 DVB-S2 receivers and because of speed decided to hook a disk directly to it, even for recordings.

Client side:
    My main client is intel DG45FC based and was supposed to be 100% silent. (only blu ray disc when used to make little noise). Unfortunately, the mobo makes a squeeky sound, every time it uses the SDD (solid state disk) for over half a second.
    For the rest I'm happy with the MB (able to display full HD (both blu ray and BBC HD from satellite).
    I use an E5200 processor.

Best regards,
    Berns

slaxer07

August 4, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Tinyputers,

Server side:
    My setup is similar to your expectations. I have a 6 year old pentium single core with xp running 2 DVB-S2 receivers and because of speed decided to hook a disk directly to it, even for recordings.

Client side:
    My main client is intel DG45FC based and was supposed to be 100% silent. (only blu ray disc when used to make little noise). Unfortunately, the mobo makes a squeeky sound, every time it uses the SDD (solid state disk) for over half a second.
    For the rest I'm happy with the MB (able to display full HD (both blu ray and BBC HD from satellite).
    I use an E5200 processor.

Best regards,
    Berns

Which software do u use for your BD playback, and what do you have your audio setting set to. I have a zotac ION 330 system and can not find a program to work well. I have tried Arcsoft and Powerdvd 9. Both seem to stutter during playback with cpu at or about 40%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom