Mediaportal on secondary screen (1 Viewer)

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As far as I know MCE simply uses the TV out with mirroring/cloning.
    So what you run on you main desktop you see on the 2nd monitor.
    Works fine.
    Or with mce you can use an extender, a device connecting to the mce device but running a similar app as mce locally.

As said before, nvidia themselves do not support an application like mediaportal to run on a 2nd monitor as you guys would want it.

It was just not meant for direct X applications yet.

A

Anonymous

Having said that we could make a lot of people look silly if we could provide support. I have 2 monitors / 1 tv rigged up to my dev machine
    and I would like that functionality myself.

I have sometime free coming up to christmas. I may take a crack at it then. no promises, guarentees or anything like that of course.

A

Anonymous

my setup

My "solution" is to use Coolbits 3d "enable vmr" function. That way I can run MP on the secondary screen with video etc. and at the same time use the primary screen watch video and play games. Not perfect as there is a slowdown.

This works for me but might not on a ATI card.

A

Anonymous

Why not use the same approach as in Meedio/myHTPC. Here you set your HTPC display properties to ‘Extend desktop to secondary monitor’ and then set Meedio/myHTPC to start at x = 1024 (assuming your primary monitor has a working resolution of 1024x?). This works perfectly and you can actually browse the internet on your primary monitor while watching a movie on your secondary monitor or TV at the same time.

/parbis

usbrit

Portal Member
    April 22, 2004
    I have a LCD on my Shuttle PC and a second Video card (DVI out) connected to my 42" Sony. I have expanded screen set in windows and when I run MP it appears on the LCD. When I start a movie, it appears full screen on the LCD AND on the TV.
    Kinda what you want except, I can't use the PC for anything else.
    I liked the MmyHTPC solution too, is it that hard to do?
    usbrit

A

Anonymous

parbis said:
    Why not use the same approach as in Meedio/myHTPC. Here you set your HTPC display properties to ‘Extend desktop to secondary monitor’ and then set Meedio/myHTPC to start at x = 1024 (assuming your primary monitor has a working resolution of 1024x?). This works perfectly and you can actually browse the internet on your primary monitor while watching a movie on your secondary monitor or TV at the same time.
    /parbis

Unfortunately its not as simply as that. DirectX/Directshow is not compatible with the "extend desktop" feature. It doesn't work :cry:

You just can't compare Meedio/myHTPC features with ours because they don't use the same GUI rendering technologies as us. This sort of support if fairly cutting-edge from what I've heard. Even Microsoft's MCE uses desktop cloning to get round it. I'm sure this will change with Longhorn/Avalon.

A

Anonymous

A wild guess.....this hasn't been fixed in the new version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom