Mediaportal on secondary screen (2 Viewers)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    My problem is a little different i think....

im using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro...and i want Web, mIRC on my PC monitor(VGA) and Mediaportal on my TV(S-Video Out).....but i want them separate so while im watchinga somthing on my TV(using MP)..i can also use the Web, mIRC on my PC Monitor......is that any different from the above problem?

A

Anonymous

nope

how is it that powerdvd could play fullscreen on my tv while I use my monitor for browsing? is that a totally different thing?

A

Anonymous

Yes it is, all of the apps spoken about so far in this thread use the normal window UI (GDI/GDI+) which does not require the user to do anything special in regards to dual displays.

However mediaportal uses directx9/directshow which no one has gotten working with multi monitor support as far as I know.

It's been done in a couple of games x2 being notable but none of these use directshow.

Sorry for the timebeing not possible nor likely.

A

Anonymous

As a side note, rest assured when and if we do support it we will let you know.

Now please no more questions of this subject unless you are an expert directx/directshow programmer have expert domain knowledge that can help us provide support.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello
    i have this problem, too

I think it could be possible to extand your desktop, to move media portal to the secondary (desktop) display and then you only have to maximize the windows
    It would be perfect if you have an option to hide the title bar and the menu bar.

It is not a fine way but it could be an alternative way to solve this problem until a fullscreen method would be found.

greetings
    chefkoch

fredflintstone

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004
    CHeFkoCH said:
    Hello
    i have this problem, too

I think it could be possible to extand your desktop, to move media portal to the secondary (desktop) display and then you only have to maximize the windows
    It would be perfect if you have an option to hide the title bar and the menu bar.

It is not a fine way but it could be an alternative way to solve this problem until a fullscreen method would be found.

greetings
    chefkoch

Just take a look at your CPU usage with this solutions :roll:

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi fred

yes you're right i have noticed that minutes later.

But I have this always, if i want to set media portal in fullscreen mode and my displays are only in clone-mode or only in single display mode.

Then i also see only the black background with the white texts.

can anyone help me?

greetings
    chefkoch

fredflintstone

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004

avp

January 11, 2005
    As has been said, the issue is DX not working quite right on the 2ndary display.

Tonight, I set up multimon, and set the TV as the primary display. I started IE and dragged it to the 2nd monitor, I started MP on the primary and it works fine... Until I start doing stuff in IE. I think this is as simple as MP is losing focus, and therefore the commands from the remote are not being sent to the application. This might be easy to fix?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    I posted this in another thread but thought it may help people with ATI video cards capable of dualmonitor support .
    ------

I have MP working fine in a dual display situation with ATI cards on w2k.

Set the desktop to 'extended' across your two displays.

Have 'display 1' where you wish to have your desktop ie your monitor

Set the primary to the display you wish to have your 'overlay/3d acceleration' to exist ie your TV or your projector , which is 'display 2'.

You should now have your desktop taskbar and icons on your monitor and a blank blue screen (if you have no background pictures ) on your TV/projector /2nd monitor.

As the overlay and 3d acceleration is now assigned to your 'display2' when the OS launches an app that requieres overlay or 3d acceleration (not opengl that works differently with ATI cards depends on driver version) it should automaticaly launch on 'display 2' your TV/projector.

With w2k , MMC desktop and MMC Eazylook , nebula digitv and a host of other apps have no problem with the above .

Unfortunatly MP always launches to 'dislpay 1' where it will not be able to access the required overlay/3d acceleration (we moved this to 'dispaly 2' )and hence produce very bad video , stuutering or frozen images and/or crash.

There is a way around this which isn't to much of a hassle ;
    Use Hydravision which has keyboard assignable shortcuts that allow moving an app/window from 'display 1' to 'display 2' and back again.
    Use this to move MP after launch to 'display2' where it will now have access to 'overlay/3d acceleration'.

Use Hydravision to save app possitioning so when MP is laucned again it should force move to 'display 2'.

Hydravision also has a save icon possition which will help keep your desktop icons where you want as the OS can keep moving them to the primary overlay enabled display (this is always mapped at 0,0)

--------

I hope this helps .

For most remotes to work the MP has to be in focus ie just click on the taskbar MP to bring it into focus.
    If you use an ATI remote wonder there is a function available in any ammo plugins to force remote focus to any app when running whether it is in focus or not , I will try and contact the ammo author to see if he can add this aswell as enabling the a-e keys for MP specific programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom