MediaPortal uses EVR with 3 input pins-> drops 50% of all frames on interlaced stuff (2 Viewers)

huha

Extension Developer
January 3, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
frankwaan, thanks a lot for posting your experience with the 9400GT.
I got desperate with my ECS A780GM-A with integrated HD3200 for HDTV TV channels. Same problems as krusty2die4 described.
I got only about 20 to 30 fps for 1080p for AstraHD and AnixeHD. Also the latest ATI 8.12 did not help.
After I read your post I bought the 9400GT, too, and all problems were gone.
No more GUI flickering and 50fps for HD channels. Now I can really enjoy my new TV.

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
January 1, 2009
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
I'm not sure I'm loosing frames and that the movies I play are interlaced but I have a feeling that the problem I'm having is related to MP using EVR with 3 pins. The problem I'm having is that HD movie playback in MP is very slow, even when I use CoreAVC. But it's not if I play the movies in Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic Homecinema. The difference I see between them with Graphstudio is that MP uses EVR with 3 pins, where the others, only one. That's why I'm posting in this topic...

Either way, about my problem, if you care to help, you can find a better description of the problem here:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...video-playback-stutters-lot-720p-1080p-51793/

Anyway, what I came here to ask was:
Is there anyway I can get MP to use only one pin? Even if I have to dig into the source code and compile the code myself, I don't mind doing that if there's hope it will fix my problem... I'm programmer myself and I'm comfortable with .NET languages (specially C#) but I just don't have the knowledge needed for DirectShow stuff, EVR, media players, all that stuff... Can anybody help me?

akiaki

Portal Pro
September 15, 2008
Zagreb
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Hi all, I also have integrated radeon 3200 hd on my mobo and had similar problems. All are solved now! The main problem was in the registry entries. Basicly, I wanted bob deinterlace on 1080i hd content and there was no way to get it. After some fiddling around the settings, everything works! I have an amd 5400+ x2 processor with reduced voltage to 2.3v (instead 3.something) and highest peaks are 70% cpu on 1080i livetv channels with coreavc set to hardware deinterlace..
Perfect picture all the time on my 1080p plasma :) using latest catalyst on win xp sp3
I can probably take some screenshots of the settings I have using dxva cehcker and post them today or tommorow if you want to give that a try.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've also moved from Ati 3450 to nVidia 9500GT video card - as others have found, this fixes the dropped frames/tearing using EVR under Vista (and the flickering GUI problem).

I also found that MP with EVR always produced higher GPU usage (10-20% higher) on the 3450 than other media players. Unfortunately the nVidia software doesn't provide any GPU usage indication, so I can't tell if the same is true with the 9500GT.

Is there a problem with the way MP handles EVR which particularly shows up with the ATi drivers ?

Tony

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Is there anyway I can get MP to use only one pin? Even if I have to dig into the source code and compile the code myself, I don't mind doing that if there's hope it will fix my problem... I'm programmer myself and I'm comfortable with .NET languages (specially C#) but I just don't have the knowledge needed for DirectShow stuff, EVR, media players, all that stuff... Can anybody help me?

Anyone? Please...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Anyone? Please...

It has been already tested that the change doesn't affect the performance in any way.

Also even in theory it won't have any effect based on how the directshow filters operate. Pins that aren't connected to other dilters aren't receiving any data and when directshow is data driver architecture there won't be any extra processing done.

Nazgulled

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2009
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    But I would like to test that for myself if possible, even if it's only to ease my mind... Isn't there a "mediaportal.exe" v1.0 with that change only, that I could test? Can anyone provide me one?

And if it's not that? Why the hell HD movies do not play smooth on MP v1.0 installation? It works in every other player, be it Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic Homecinema, Zoom Player, etc, they just work on these players but no on MP. I'm really getting desperate and I'm using an external player with MP as a workaround, but I dislike every bit of this "solution"... :(

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm facing the same problems(with PDVD 8 + ATI 8.5):
    - 1080p50 no problem, no jitter or drops
    - 720p50 no problem, no jitter or drops
    - 1080i50 is horrible, jitter and really bad horizontal pans

Maybe it's 8.5 but I'm unable to get EVR working with 8.8

1080i requires much more GPU power than the 1080p as the deinterlacing is pretty costy operation.

Agree, but:
    - I have a HD2600 + PDVD8 (with the subtitle filter turned off)
    - A X2 6000+ CPU which should do the job without any issues

For those of you having problems with interlaced content playback using onboard chipsets, check out this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/361783-post217.html
    and this post further down:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/362061-post221.html
    An X2 CPU won't cut it in this architecture. You either need a phenom CPU or a dedicated GPU. The later being the cheaper option.

As tourettes said earlier, deinterlacing requires much more processing grunt. I had similar problems with my onboard GPU (intel based but roughly the same symptoms and limitations). Put in an ATI 3850, problem solved.

Ingram

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Home Country
    VMR9 has about 4 pins for some reason. Why is this? And is it a problem? I've been getting plagued with dropped frames and stutter on MKV/XVID/DVD since MP1.0

Using FFDShow, Haali, Reclock, all synced to 48Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom