MediaPortal v's MythTV (1 Viewer)

mcjimbob

Portal Member
October 26, 2006
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
First of all hello all, i'm new here but have used MediaPortal briefly.

I'm currently in two minds between using mediaportal OR MythTV.

I had a lot of fun setting up my HTPC with MythTV and I must concede that it works fine most of the time but there are a few things that niggle me about it (never seemed to be fully working).

I dabbled with MediaPortal before my MythTV project and I have to say that I liked it overall but stability was the main problem (perhaps these problems have been addressed). The other killer for me was the dvr-ms encoding. I would prefer mpeg encoding (I know you can convert though). MythTV's advert removal clipping feature is nice, do you have similar in MP?

I'll be moving into a new house next year (currently living with in-laws while house is being built) and want to utilise our new "32 HD LCD with the HTPC, i'll want to use it for playing games etc as well so windows would be beneficial, I would like MediaPortal to be at the heart of that!

I'm excited about the new tv-server possiblities (a feature which myth tv also provides). Also will it work with IMON remote/VFD etc?

Would be interested in hearing your arguements FOR MP over mythtv with regards to my situation??!!

Many Thanks,

Jim :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Not gonna participate in a "whats best"-discusion (since we all know the answer :D), but I from what I've read, the next TV-engine will record MPEG2.

Read more about this in the news-section.

And welcome to the forum, btw.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The "which is the best" discussion here seems pretty simple to me: If your OS is Linux, MythTV is a clear winner, if your OS is windows you might want to try MP :)

For the rest, due to Windows vs. Linux, capture card support is better for MP, but if your system currently runs Myth that's quite irrelevant. Basically, just install GRUB or some equivalent and give both a try. The infamous "WAF" (assuming the in-law part of your family provided the W in WAF) may help you in choosing once both solutions are setup.

mcjimbob

Portal Member
    October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Yup, I am dual-booting the pc between linux and windows and indeed the W in WAF was provided by the in-laws!!!!:D

To be honest - I think i'm going to set up the latest MP and use both for a while as you've said.

I'm quite excited about using MP as it seems to be a great solution.

Cheers Guys!

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ...For the rest, due to Windows vs. Linux, capture card support is better for MP...

I disagree, just search the forum for "card not found" threads. I have used two capture cards that are automatically supported in Linux, but I had to manually configure them so that MP would see them (pcHDTV & Air2PC ATSC). I know that this may change with the new "TVEngine", but as it stands, you are incorrect, Sir.

Media Portal has come a long way since the first time I tried it. I have been running it for about two months without it crashing. Pretty good compared to previous versions. All I can say is: Keep up the good work!

Paul

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    For me it was a no brainer. I just couldn't get my head round Linux enough to get everything working as it should. Got everything set up and tuned with two DVB-T cards, but couldn't get a remote working.

I can actually get more use out of the box running windows anyway. The second output on the graphics card will eventually feed a 20" LCD so i can use it for photo re-touching when MP is idle.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

the new TV engine will record to MPEG2 and it has comskip included to automatically cut commercials. IMON is afaik supported by MP.

Flip.

mcjimbob

Portal Member
    October 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I'm not too bad with linux - had no choice doing computing degree at uni - so managed to get Myth set up ok.

My tv card (Compro VideoMate T-200) wasn't supported out-of-the-box and to be honest was a pain to set up. Also TBH I didn't think much of the channel scanner in Myth. I had to do a LOT of tinkering (and lost some hair) to get channels found.

MP seems easier to set up and my only main concern is regarding stability. Once i've set it up I really would like it just to work. (it's all very well mucking about with it when it's just my PC but this is going to be my entire media solution in the living room - and the wife is going to be using it!!!)

As an aside (and sorry if it's a bit off topic) but does anyone currently use MP to view/capture Sky Digital

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ...For the rest, due to Windows vs. Linux, capture card support is better for MP...

I disagree, just search the forum for "card not found" threads. I have used two capture cards that are automatically supported in Linux, but I had to manually configure them so that MP would see them (pcHDTV & Air2PC ATSC). I know that this may change with the new "TVEngine", but as it stands, you are incorrect, Sir.

Media Portal has come a long way since the first time I tried it. I have been running it for about two months without it crashing. Pretty good compared to previous versions. All I can say is: Keep up the good work!

Paul
    Whow, someone is throwing "Sir" at me. Thanks a lot :D
    Point I meant was that I understood for some TV cards no drivers (or how that may be called in Linux) exist whatsoever, but indeed, I also understood that basically every card which does run in Linux will run with MythTV.

donaldkennedy

Portal Member
    April 3, 2005
    Swansea
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    mcjimbob
    Yes, there's a lot of people using MP with Sky Dig - take a while to search in and around these forums, and you'll find a number of people asking (and answering!) questions about Sky and MP. The key thing to note is that you'll need to use a Sky STB, and connect via composite or svideo to your TV card, then configure channels as "external channels" - actually sounds harder than it is, once you've worked out which bits do what! Also, if you use an MCE remote, then you can use the blaster functions (either from MyBlaster or from the replacement MCE remote driver) to do all the channel changing, which tends to get a lot of very quick WAF!

HTH - enjoy MP, I've been using for about 20 months now and it's just got better and better (and the prospective developments on the roadmap are very exciting)

Donald

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom