MediaPortal v's MythTV (1 Viewer)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    As an aside (and sorry if it's a bit off topic) but does anyone currently use MP to view/capture Sky Digital
    It is also possible to get Sky Digital working natively using a FloppyDTV card and a Dragom CAM apparently.

This is something i've been tempted with in the long term as it's the only way i can get the Discovery Network :( I'd rather give them £10/month direct than give sky £16/month but that doesn't seem possible with Skys strangle hold on the UK satelite market

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Whow, someone is throwing "Sir" at me. Thanks a lot :D

I was trying to strongly disagree, without being disrespectful. Did I succeed? :)

Actually, it's ironic. Any capture card that works with Linux can be used in MythTV without any extra configuration, while the complete opposite is true with the current version of Media Portal and Windows.

I like both Media Portal and MythTV. It's too bad the devs seem dead set against any type of interface for the two. If anything like that is to happen, it will have to come from the MythTV side. And, I wouldn't hold my breath for THAT to happen. Most Linux devs are dead set against any windows stuff.

Okay, this is the last time I will mention Linux and MythTV in this forum, it's a MP forum and I'll respect that.

Paul

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    All capture cards with BDA drivers will work fine in MediaPortal as far as I know. You used to have to edit the capture card definition by hand if you had new drivers or a different hardware version, but the instructions to do this have always been in the Hardware Support forum, so it has never been hard to get a card with BDA drivers to work. With the new tv engine I believe that the BDA drivers are detected and added automatically, so no work should be needed now to get a card to work (at least for the BDA driver case).

ShadoHawk

Portal Member
    December 19, 2006
    Paul, I saw your post over on pcHDTV and I have been looking around for setting up the 5500 I just received today and I came up with this:
    Code:
    <capturecard commercialname="pcHDTV HD5500" capturename="PVDA408 AVStream TS Capture" devid="ven_14f1&amp;dev_8802&amp;subsys_55007063&amp;rev_05">
        <capabilities tv="true" radio="false" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="false" bda="true"/>
        <tv>
          <interface cat="capture" video="3" audio="4" mpeg2="1" sectionsandtables="2"/>
          <filters>
            <filter cat="networkprovider" name="Microsoft ATSC Network Provider"			checkdevice="false"/>
            <filter cat="tunerdevice"     name="PVDA408 BDA DVB Tuner/Demod"		checkdevice="true"/>
            <filter cat="capture"         name="PVDA408 AVStream TS Capture"	checkdevice="true"/>
          </filters>
          <connections>
    		<connection sourcefilter="networkprovider" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="tunerdevice"	sinkpin="0"/>
    		<connection sourcefilter="tunerdevice"     sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture"		sinkpin="0"/>
          </connections>
        </tv>
      </capturecard>

This is what I have so far... I am just wondering can I setup another definition for the analog side? And how about the over cable formats? Sorry I am new to the whole HDTV thing.

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    It looks like the entry for your card is ok, have you tried it yet? I think that the pcHDTV HD5500 uses the same tuner as some Dvico Fusion cards. You could also use that as a starting point.

As for the analog side, I never tried it on my pcHDTV HD-3000, in windows. That card is back in a MythTV box, where it is better suited. You need to identify the tuner and see if any other cards use the same one. Does pcHDTV provide WDM drivers for the HD-5500? These are needed for analog. The BDA drivers are for digital only.

I think someone else inquired about setting up the HD-5500 in MP, have you searched the forums?

Good luck, and please post your results. Many posters never report their successes, they only post problems.

Paul (waterhead at pchdtv.com)

ShadoHawk

Portal Member
    December 19, 2006
    Thanks for the awesomely fast response! And yes the card comes with the WDM drivers. I am looking into this further and thanks for the jumping off point! I am going to play with it a bit more and if I can't figure it out I will do the GraphEdit e-mail to dman. I just want to play with it a bit myself first. One other thing is there a good explanation of how you can go from the graphedit to the xml file? That's one thing that I have poked around for and have not found.

Paul S

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2006
    Franklin, WI (Milwaukee)
    Home Country
    One other thing is there a good explanation of how you can go from the graphedit to the xml file? That's one thing that I have poked around for and have not found.

Not that I am aware of. The filters in the graph correspond to the entries in the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file. Keep in mind the numbering of the pins usually starts with 0 (zero), and the names of the filters must match. When I set up my HD-3000 card, there was an existing entry for it, but one of the names was wrong so it would not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom