MediaPortal won't start following W10 Update (1 Viewer)

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Perth - Western Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi folks,

Was running MePo 1.25 without issue. Installed latest Windows 10 updates, now MePo won't start, at all, it does not even produce any log files? Upgraded to latest version (1.27.0) as I usually do when this sort of stuff happens, but same problem. I get the following errors in the Windows Application Log:
    1612963480647.png
    1612963549772.png

As the first of these errors seems to relate to .NET Runtime, I checked the Windows update history and found that .NET Framework was one of the things updated in this update (KB4601050), so I uninstalled this particular update, re-booted, tried again, same issue. Note that MePo Configuration has the same problem, but TV Server Config opens just fine??

Can anyone help?
    Cheers,
    Steve.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am running Win 10 Pro (20H2, recent install) on my desktop PC and have installed the KB4601050 update, I then downloaded and installed MP1, without any plugins, set it up with TV, scanned channels etc. and all seems to be working OK. Not sure if that is much help except to say it does not look like the update has a general problem.

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmmm, thanks Joe. Yeah, I just fired up a second PC, also running 20H2 (19042.804) with KB4601050. Tried MePo and it is working fine also?? So, as you say, perhaps not the recent Win 10 update? Still, MePo was working before the update, but not after, and I can't think of any other possible trigger for the problem? very frustrating.

Hoping someone may be able to interpret the two Windows Application errors above?

Thanks for your help :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hoping someone may be able to interpret the two Windows Application errors above?
    The event info suggests that the error occurred whilst MP was reading an XML file. There are several XML files in the "MediaPortal" folder in "ProgramData" -- possibly one of those XML files is corrupt? Bear in mind that when you update an existing MP installation to a more-recent release, your existing settings are preserved (including the corruption, if that is the cause of the error).

Since your other system works OK, it might be worthwhile copying the relevant XML files from that system to the problem system to see if that makes a difference. I suggest renaming the existing ones first, so that you can re-instate them later if you wish.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Steve.Rayner61

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, @CyberSimian jogged my memory :)

I remembered that something similar has happened to me before, back in 2017. So I searched back through previous posts and found the solution. I just knocked up a very rough document that describes the problem, symptoms & solution for anyone else that is interested in the future. It's attached to this reply. Hopefully it's useful.

Oh yes, I had an electrician investigating a fault at the house today. I knew they had switched off the power, but what I didn't realise was that the PC that had this MediaPortal problem was powered up at the time as it's normally powered off during the day. It must have fired up to record something from TV. Coincidently, when I started it up, a bunch of Windows updates were installed, so, naturally I attributed the problem to those updates. So quick to stomp on poor Microsoft I am :)

Thanks to @joecrow and @CyberSimian for your prompt help with my problem today and acknowledgement also to @JimCatMP, @mm1352000 and @Stéphane Lenclud for their assistance back in 2017 :)

Cheers,
    Steve.

Attachments

• MediaPortal Won't Start - Problem Description & Solution.docx
      461 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom