MediaPortal2 will not stream content for multi-seat configuration (1 Viewer)

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
July 31, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,
I installed MP2 with server-client option on computer "Home". I added media to the client in the local directory and plays fine.
I installed MP2 with client only option on computer "Lennie". Lennie attached to Home and downloaded the meta data for my media and EPG listings. Lennie is listed as a client in the monitor. However, when I try to play media or TV nothing happens.
I did get a stream error, but I read the solution in the forum to change the steaming server address from auto to the actual IP address which fixed it.
Now, I get no error. I do not know how to get the logs you need to help as the sticky posts in the forum seem to relate to MP1.
Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

FiftyFour##

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
July 31, 2016
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thanks for your response. I changed the config file to "All" and attached the latest generated log file. I hope this will help identify why its not working for me.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

Unfortunately the attached logs are still in INFO mode. You need to set the ALL status on the respective client.

I added media to the client in the local directory and plays fine.
    Any media source added on "Home" must be a server media source - I don't think that you could even add it as a local source. If media sources that play on "Home" are true server sources, they should be visible on "Lennie" too.

Lennie attached to Home and downloaded the meta data for my media and EPG listings.
    In theory there is nothing to download - this information is provided by the server. Did you really actively trigger a "download"?

However, when I try to play media or TV nothing happens.
    The latest client log is showing no trace of launching TV or a video. Instead the home screen success is logged at 22:52:46, but then a shutdown request is registered at 22:53:20 with no user activity in between (INFO level).

Let's see if ALL level will provide further info.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

I'm sorry that I didn't check the logs for Lennie before I uploaded them. I checked the logs this time and although there is still info there is also debug. There is no All, but I assure you I have followed the instructions both times. If these logs are still wrong then I'm afraid I simply don't know what I am doing wrong and I'll simply have to wait until the next release when the "all" logging will be automated.

As regards my initial comments, I added media to the "Home" MP2 client using the local filesystem as opposed to the Network Neighbourhood. My understanding of the documentation is that is what I must do if I want to store all my media centrally on one device for the whole network. If this understanding is wrong, this may well be my problem?

When the MP2 Client of Lennie attached to the MP2 server on Home the metadata was downloaded from the server. I assume the "attach" action triggered a download since streaming doesn't work for me. Attach is a MP2 word not mine. I didn't do anything outside of the MP2 client if that's your concern.

I assure you, I do not wish to waste your time. Thank you for taking the time.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    As regards my initial comments, I added media to the "Home" MP2 client using the local filesystem as opposed to the Network Neighbourhood. My understanding of the documentation is that is what I must do if I want to store all my media centrally on one device for the whole network.
    Have you started the Client on the Home Server and verified the Media is imported?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assure you, I do not wish to waste your time.
    Don't worry. If I had the feeling that you were wasting my time I would tell you.

Logs are OK now and Debug level info is showing.

There are a couple of repeated error messages
    [2016-08-03 19:04:23,993] [16788 ] [24 ] [DEBUG] - SSDPClientController: Problem parsing incoming multicast UDP packet. Error message: 'Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: key
    that I don't know how to interpret. @morpheus_xx , these messages are not getting logged in ClientError.log

When looking at your attempt to play a file, things become strange. In the log the Video player is successfully called, filters, audio renders etc. are loaded, the graph is launched - and at the same time s stop command is processed.
    [2016-08-03 19:04:35,810] [28605 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Initialize EVR
    [2016-08-03 19:04:36,027] [28822 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Adding audio renderer
    [2016-08-03 19:04:36,091] [28886 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Adding preferred codecs
    [2016-08-03 19:04:36,107] [28902 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Adding source filter
    [2016-08-03 19:04:36,160] [28955 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Initializing for file system media item '886b44c2-23e2-4e97-9e29-9af29036c966:{e88e64a8-0233-4fdf-ba27-0b44c6a39ae9}:///I:/Family/EN-Drive-Videos-Movies/Family-Movies-Publish/A Cinderella Story (2004).mp4'
    [2016-08-03 19:04:36,234] [29029 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Adding subtitle filter
    [2016-08-03 19:04:38,047] [30841 ] [DX Render] [DEBUG] - ContentManager: 0 resources deallocated, next cleanup in 10 seconds. 120.863548278809/100 MB
    [2016-08-03 19:04:38,399] [31193 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Run graph
    [2016-08-03 19:04:38,514] [31309 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Stop playing
    [2016-08-03 19:04:38,537] [31332 ] [Thread9 ] [DEBUG] - VideoPlayer: Graph state after stop command: Stopped

MP2 is then shutting down.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Breese,
    On the Home device, I can play the content fine in the MP2 client aka the single seat is working fine. I'm hoping to get Multi-Seat working so that my children can primarily watch TV on their laptops.

Hi HTPCsourcer,
    Thank you for taking the time to look at the logs. I'm relieved it worked this time, although you mentioned the client log is empty. Are you commenting its empty or should I have done something.

I would just like to mention both computers are connected to my router via ethernet cable in case you think the client is on wifi. I would also like to add that I closed the MP2 client myself to get the logs, i.e. the MP2 client didn't abort.

Lastly, do you want me to upload the server logs on Home. I'll add the All option. Will that help?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for taking the time to look at the logs. I'm relieved it worked this time, although you mentioned the client log is empty.
    I was just referring to the error log and gave a heads-up to one of our devs. The client log is fine

I would also like to add that I closed the MP2 client myself to get the logs, i.e. the MP2 client didn't abort.
    I figured that. The strange thing is that i can see the process being stopped, however, the log piece in my previous posting shows Cinderella to play at 19:04:36 whereas at 19:04.38 you are stopping MediaPortal. Did you try to just wait longer after initiating the play? The respective log could be interesting.

Lastly, do you want me to upload the server logs on Home. I'll add the All option. Will that help?
    I don't know. In any case it will allow me to lern more about how a successful log process looks like so that I know what to look for in other log files.

FiftyFour##

Portal Member
    July 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Previously I waited longer i.e. 8 minutes, but when I took the logs, I just got out once I got the error because I knew nothing more would happen.

Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate you helping me to identify the error, even though we don't know what it means for now. I guess we'll just have to wait on the devs now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom