Memory leak in MPC HC codec? (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Ok, so I ran some more tests. When I disable DXVA in MpcVideoDec, then the memory leak does not occur, so it would seem the memory leak is only happening with hardware acceleration (I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 3470 with Catalyst 9.1).

Ok, that pretty much confirms that this is a codec side leak. MP doesn't do anything different when HW acceleration is on.

Can you please move this thread to the appropriate section?

I'll move to some generic area.

Unfortunately, I am unable to test with another DirectShow based media player. For some reason MPC-HC just refuses to play video on my system. Any other media player suggestions that can play MKV files?

Windows Media Player :) That will play as long as you have haali splitter installed and most likely you do as MediaPortal is able to play .mkv files.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ok, so I ran some more tests. When I disable DXVA in MpcVideoDec, then the memory leak does not occur, so it would seem the memory leak is only happening with hardware acceleration (I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 3470 with Catalyst 9.1).

Ok, that pretty much confirms that this is a codec side leak. MP doesn't do anything different when HW acceleration is on.
    As I suspected. Interestingly enough the changelog for version 1.1.604.0 of MPC-HC shows the following bug fix:
    - Memory leak in DXVA decoder (bug #1962448)

I guess it wasn't fixed entirely.

Can you please move this thread to the appropriate section?

I'll move to some generic area.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I am unable to test with another DirectShow based media player. For some reason MPC-HC just refuses to play video on my system. Any other media player suggestions that can play MKV files?

Windows Media Player :) That will play as long as you have haali splitter installed and most likely you do as MediaPortal is able to play .mkv files.

I tried MPC-HC and Windows Media Player and even Windows Media Center. The MKVs didn't even show up in Media Center, and in MPC-HC/WMP they just wouldn't play for some strange reason. It was getting late last night and I didn't debug further. I'll try again tonight and see if I can reproduce it, but it seems moot since the other tests show quite clearly that this is likely not a problem specific to MediaPortal.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    damaster,

Do you have any issues watching live TV? I seem to have a memory leak problem watching live TV but I'm not using the MPC-HC codec. I have nvidia video/audio. I'll have to do more troubleshooting.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    damaster,

Do you have any issues watching live TV? I seem to have a memory leak problem watching live TV but I'm not using the MPC-HC codec. I have nvidia video/audio. I'll have to do more troubleshooting.
    No live TV, sorry. Try switching to another decoder and see if your memory leak goes away. You also need to be sure it's an actual memory leak by monitoring the private bytes usage of MediaPortal.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    UPDATE: I managed to reproduce this issue with mplayerc.exe, so it is definitely a bug in the DirectShow filter MPC Video Decoder and not MediaPortal.

Here is the ProcessExplorer performance graph showing the private bytes usage of mplayerc.exe:

croppercapture22da1.png

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to repeat what damaster has noted....

I ran with the MPCVideoDec DirectShow filter from My Videos and noted...

I ran a 1080p file around 16 times in succession and noted on each occurance the memory retained increased using the above filter.

Using the PowerDVD 8 decoder filter...

...the memory retention after running the same file remains constant at around a fifth of that of the MPC decoder, with no increase at each stop / start of running the file.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just to repeat what damaster has noted....

I ran with the MPCVideoDec DirectShow filter from My Videos and noted...

I ran a 1080p file around 16 times in succession and noted on each occurance the memory retained increased using the above filter.

Using the PowerDVD 8 decoder filter...

...the memory retention after running the same file remains constant at around a fifth of that of the MPC decoder, with no increase at each stop / start of running the file.

Much thanks for validating this! I thought I was the only nutcase who had encountered this and that there may have been something seriously wrong with my ATI-based system. I am very glad to see that you have an NVidia GPU and also encounter this memory leak.

Would you be able to post your findings over here to help make the MPC HC devs more aware of this significant bug?: Media Player Classic Home Cinema - DXVA! - Page 317 - Doom9's Forum

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    You are welcome for the support :) Thanks for the thanks BTW.!

Having noted that my hardware is different to yours I thought that would add a little more weight to what you have found.

I have now posted my findings over at the forum you have linked to, having just recently rejoined Doom 9 due to forgetting my password.!

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You are welcome for the support :) Thanks for the thanks BTW.!

Having noted that my hardware is different to yours I thought that would add a little more weight to what you have found.

I have now posted my findings over at the forum you have linked to, having just recently rejoined Doom 9 due to forgetting my password.!

Awesome! I saw your post over at doom9. I hope this issue gets attention because I've gone back to using the PowerDVD 8 decoder, and I don't like it :( It doesn't play everything and doesn't have a software-decode mode back-off strategy as does the MPC decoder. But I can't use the MPC decoder because I leave MP running constantly for days at a time and my wife might be watching a bunch of different videos/episodes and then MP can't play videos at some point because of the memory leak. I then have to restart MP and that doesn't make for a very nice user experience, especially not for the wife.

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    I hope that it gets resolved too, although I must admit that for me it is not a problem that I would have easily noticed as the memory retention issue would not reflect my type of usage of MP. I imagine for those people, like yourself, whose stopping and starting of MP is quite minimal then the problem would manifest itself more often.

Fingers crossed for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom