What font do you like best for MePo?

• Total voters

trojkolka

Portal Pro
December 24, 2004
The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
in fullscreen television there is a progress bar overlaying my tv view. and it will never disappear.. Am i the only one with this problem or?

csberto

Portal Pro
November 6, 2004
Tilburg, the Netherlands
Why isn't the display of the TV-guide when in full screen TV not the same as when I choose TV-guide from main menu in TV? The width of the guide goes just till about halfway the screen and there are no horizontal and vertical scroll bars.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Why isn't the display of the TV-guide when in full screen TV not the same as when I choose TV-guide from main menu in TV? The width of the guide goes just till about halfway the screen and there are no horizontal and vertical scroll bars.

csberto - If you would, briefly try out the BlueTwo skin (The MePo skin was built from it). Blue Two is the base from most other skins (it is for MePo) and see if it also has the same problem. If it does then it is a bug with either that skin or with the SVN you are using.

fenetikm

November 12, 2006
    Home Country
    The problem does not show up in Blue Two.

I had the same problem with the progress bar showing at the top.

I found the problem was in the common.progressbar.xml file.

Under the 'Progress Bar' control, remove/comment out the '<texturebg>' entry (wasn't in earlier versions of the skin?) and set the '<visible>' entry to 'no'.

Obviously this is a quick fix and will probably be addressed more properly.

*Fantastic* skin BTW.

csberto

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2004
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

csberto - If you would, briefly try out the BlueTwo skin (The MePo skin was built from it). Blue Two is the base from most other skins (it is for MePo) and see if it also has the same problem. If it does then it is a bug with either that skin or with the SVN you are using.
    Blue Two wide gives the same problem. Blue Two is allright what width concerns, but also has no scroll bars.

Gaijin

Portal Member
    November 18, 2005
    This is a very nice set of skins. One comment though. People always forget that not everybody uses a latin character set. EPGs can also be in non-Latin character sets. Therefore in any choice of font I think an important factor should also be Unicode support. This is why the default BlueTwo font is Arial Unicode. It is legible and inherently supports all Unicode character sets. It may not be the funkiest font around but EVERYBODY in the world can use it in their native language. Internationalisation of MediaPortal should not be an afterthought but an integral design feature.

http://unifont.org/fontguide/ and
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts.htm
    for opensource and otherwise freely distributed (may be commercial but free for personal use) unicode fonts

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Feel free to copy fonts.xml from blue two to one of my skins and delete the fonts folder in my skin too. This will update it to blue two's font.

Glenn

SpeedFreak

Portal Member
    September 3, 2006
    Haslev
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Feel free to copy fonts.xml from blue two to one of my skins and delete the fonts folder in my skin too. This will update it to blue two's font.

I don't think he was looking for a work around rather than a permanent solution. It isn't really realistic to expect the average user to perform the above tweak in order to get a usable MP setup with this skin.

I too think that the default font should support unicode, but I think it would be even better if one could configure font names and sizes for the different styles through the MP configuration program. One font/size might look good on a monitor but bad on a TV. E.g. the MePo default font and sizes are unsuitable on my system; I use various weights and sizes of Helvetica Neue instead.

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    "It isn't really realistic to expect the average user to perform the above tweak in order to get a usable MP setup with this skin."

Neither is it realistic to expect a free skin to be all things to all people.
    Neither is it realistic to have me spend my nights till 1:00am to keep everyone happy only to be bagged.

Everyone has an opinion about how a skin should look. This font, that font, bigger icons, smaller icons, faster animation, no animation, this plug-in, that plug-in. The current font IS the permanent solution. I'm a bit tired of it all. I made a skin to please myself, now I just chase my tail trying to please everyone. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom