Migration from AMD 690G to 780G (1 Viewer)

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am currently using a MSI MoBo based on ATI's 690G chipset. For the sake of all the problems with HD (high CPU load, aspect ratio problems with CoreAVC, etc...) I plan to replace it with a 780G based board (probably Gigabyte or MSI) so that I can use Cyberlinks H264 decoder with DXVA. Since my OS and S/W setup is fine so far, I think about just replacing the board and leaving everything else untouched, i.e. the 780G chipset would run with the 690G drivers.

I know this is not the preferred way to do it, and I am aware that the system even won't start up, but I consider to give it a try, since a 100% fresh installation means a lot of work.

Has anyone done this before? Success or Failure?

Any comments on the GA-MA78GM-S2H board?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Why not just add an ATI HD2400 PRO or XT video card to your existing setup? They are inexpensive and should solve all your graphics issues ... :D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If so, you should rather get a HD3450. More energy efficient and better PQ form what I've read :)

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why not just add an ATI HD2400 PRO or XT video card to your existing setup?

No space in the case. I am using a Hiper HMC case that allows 1 card only, and this is the DVB-C reciever. So I have to go with onboard graphics.

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Has anyone done this before? Success or Failure?

Any comments on the GA-MA78GM-S2H board?

I tried it once....and failed. Go with a clean installation. And if your familiar with backup or images...do it.(I could't ;) ...I'm too stupid)

Re the Gigabyte board...I'd highly recommend it with the newest catalyst/IGP driver from ATI's website.
    Works like a charm. Only one thing was abit weired. In BIOS enable usage of USB Keyboard and mouse with an old ps/2 keyboard.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There are a lot of disappointed people in New Zealand who have the newer ATI video cards or this motherboard (me for example with the Gigabyte version). The problem is that the new Freeview HD broadcasts work very nicely in My TV, until you start changing channels (moving from 720p broadcasts to 1080i and back again). The video then goes very blocky and green and can only be reset by restarting MP or the whole PC.

The current recommendation here is to use an NVidia card (8500GT or better). I'm currently using CoreAVC which negates the whole reason for buying this motherboard with integrated HD video. :mad:

I've been working my way through the Catalyst drivers from AMD as soon as they come out, but so far they aren't helping.

This may not be a problem for most TV in Europe at this time, but beware for the future.

:sorry:

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would steer clear of the gigabyte 780g based MB. (wish I had). The web is awash with tales of woe involving bsods (though Ive also seen a couple of green screens of death also), crashes, stop faults and miscellaneous lockups randomly and after resume from S3 - especially if you try to get it to play video files. - might be an issue if you want to use it for a HTPC :).

Maybe wait until it has proper drivers for the onboard graphics etc.

I've tried numerous combinations of Catalyst drivers 8.3, 8.4, 8.5. Some work for a while if you disable dxva but sooner or later it will crash horribly. I thought it was a config issue at my end with MP but reading around it seems there are all manner of problems with many other HTPC apps.

In other respects it is a nice board. Very fast - when it is working.

Kev

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Jees Kevl - why so negative. Chill, relax.

The GA-MA78GM-S2H is a fine motherboard. It works very well when correctly configured.

Make sure you set the graphics memory in the bios to between 128 - 512MB rather than the auto setting. If set at auto it will provide 64MB and will not work in full screen exclusive mode and will crash horribly at every opportunity.

.........of course even an idiot would have known that.

Kev

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My comment was more to do with the ATI graphics than the motherboard. The problems I've described appear to occur with other motherboards with ATI Graphics cards not just this MB and and integrated ATI chipsets.

Again, this is with H.264 stuff being broadcast in New Zealand. Not sure when other places are shifting to HD transmissions.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Hi Huckster2

Cant comment on the New Zealand HD signals.

I can say that I have two HD channels which transmit in DVB-S (rather than DVB-S2). When changing from SD to HD there is a 5sec delay - which is longer than SD - SD channel change. But video plays well.

Im using latest MB drivers, Catalyst 8.4 (apparently 8.5 is less stable), have set graphics memory to 512MB, Switched off all the catalyst picture enhancements (antialiasing etc), set wait for vertical refresh = ON.

My screen res is set to 1280x720p at 50Hz.

I'm using Cyberlink PDVD7 decoder for SD, CoreAVC for HD.

I get really nice pictures, no tearing.

Took me ages to get working settings. Still more work to do but am getting there. If I get a crash now and again but it is probably due to running out of timeshift buffer space - I'm using a ramdisk for this. Still more settings to adjust here.

There are many permutations in the settings e.g. which part of the replay cghain should deinterlace??? The decoder, VMR9 renderer or graphics driver???

If you have blocky / green pixelation effects - could this be due to poor signal strength??? Maybe the format of the NZ HD transmissions is not exactly wheat the HD decoder is expecting????

Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom