Migration from AMD 690G to 780G (1 Viewer)

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
No, I don't have this MoBo - but thinking of buying one - if it works in Vista that is...
So I am very curious to hear if anybody is using this successfully with DXVA and MP in Vista...

5Hundred

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm using

catalyst 8.6
Bios F3
Vista (all updates)
EVR
All updates from Gigabyte website applicable to board

Tried all permutations of hardware acceleration and deinterlace within PowerDVD, none can successfully withstand either a channel change or skip step whilst watching H.264

Its pretty annoying and at this stage i would advise against this board until the probelm is solved.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, the m'board does not do what it says on the box. Latest problems I'm having may be due to my aerial shifting in the wind. Have sent the Mrs up on the roof (the trouper!) 'cos I'm a wimp and we've got it pointing in the right direction.

Still have to rely on the CPU for decoding and am fighting a losing battle with suspending the darn thing.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When you say fighting a losing battle with suspending the darn thing could you give me some more info, my board works well with hibernation but does exhibit a difficulty in resuming if its been off for a while, hangs in a loop with no post until i reset it.

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,

tried my setup for a few days now, seems to be fairly stable. I am using F4 BIOS and Catalyst 8.5 drivers. I can watch live TV for hours, usually without hangs or crashes, even when zapping through channels. From the Gigabyte Forum (which is full of complaints) I took the recommendation to allocate fixed 512MB RAM for the onboard graphics (don't use the "auto" setting in BIOS), maybe that does the trick. With HDTV I have HW accel. enabled, for SDTV it is disabled.

So far for me this is acceptable. I'll come back a soon as I have more news.

huckster2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm currently running F4 BIOS, Catalyst 8.4 and XP SP3 and MP RC1. Have a BE-2350 CPU and 2Gb RAM. Have allocated 512Mb to video.

I upgraded the BIOS from F3 to F4 and installed the latest drivers from Gigabyte. This seemed to cause no end of problems with MP crashing or hanging on startup. It got so bad, I restored the system from a backup with software as above. Now it will not standby. When I try and standby with Windows, it hibernates. I thought everything was setup in the BIOS, but now I'm not too sure. When I get the chance, I will investigate the BIOS options and upgrade to Catalyst 8.5 and the latest AMD chipset drivers. I suspect that F4 may need them.

The problem is getting access to the thing as it works if left on and is used a lot.

I have also noticed more interference on the signal. I'm convinced I need to get the aerial sorted out, as I get a bad UHF signal for the non-DVB-T channels (Prime and Maori).

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hi,

tried my setup for a few days now, seems to be fairly stable. I am using F4 BIOS and Catalyst 8.5 drivers. I can watch live TV for hours, usually without hangs or crashes, even when zapping through channels. From the Gigabyte Forum (which is full of complaints) I took the recommendation to allocate fixed 512MB RAM for the onboard graphics (don't use the "auto" setting in BIOS), maybe that does the trick. With HDTV I have HW accel. enabled, for SDTV it is disabled.

So far for me this is acceptable. I'll come back a soon as I have more news.

Thanks for the information.
    So:
    - Catalyst 8.5
    - Bios F4
    - 512 MB in Bios set

Is it a good idea to try catalyst 8.6 beta?
    I will have my 2 floppy DVBs later this week or next week will let you know.
    Do u use XP sp3 or vista sp1?

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    uma frame buffer size set to 512?

Yes. Set UMA buffer size = 512MB in F4 BIOS.

I played around with different combinations on the HW accel. page (MP configuration, DX Filter settings). Seems that the system gets less stable when HW accel. is set to ON for STDV (I had one bluescreen, caused by the ATI display driver). Will try Catalyst 8.6 as soon as it it is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom