Tools and other software MKV Buddy - Tool to help handling of Videos (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I think it would be useful if your application would provide a simple .ini file with the names of .nfo tags and their matching tags in .mkv file,
    This nearly is impossible to achieve. Every app is generating different named tags in the nfo files. To tag mkv files those fields need to have specific formats... I need to transform those entries in the code. An user editable ini file will make this nearly impossible.

Lots of metadata fields like Actor, language or director are probably multi value fields. A movie has more than one actor and it can have more than one language or director. MKV needs those as many items with one entry each. Lots of tools store this as one item with many entries. Some tools separate those entries with "/", others are using "|" and others are using "," and so on...
    To give you a short impression here is Stanley Kubrick as director of "A Clockwork Orange" stored in your movie.xml file (generated by MediaBrowser, if I'm right):
    Code:
        <Person>
          <Name>Stanley Kubrick</Name>
          <Type>Director</Type>
          <Role>
          </Role>
        </Person>

And here is James Cameron as director of "Avatar" stored in avatar.nfo generated by tinyMediaManager:
    Code:
     <director>James Cameron</director>

For Stanley Kubrick it would look like:
    Code:
     <director>Stanley Kubrick</director>

For mkv tagging this has to be in this form:
    Code:
      <Simple>
      <Name>DIRECTOR</Name>
      <String>Stanley Kubrick</String>
      <TagLanguage>und</TagLanguage>
      <DefaultLanguage>1</DefaultLanguage>
      </Simple>

As you can imagine this is a huge amount of comparing and calculating. The tMM version would be much easier to transform into a valid MKV tag. But it has to be done completely different for every tool out there that will generate such metadata files. The tags MKV Buddy uses are stored the same or a similar way in nearly all those metadata files. That's why I've added "MPAA ratings" but not added "Genres". Every extra tag I will add let the failure rate increase enormous.

This is a general decision if I only support a single tool (and that would be tMM as I use it for real) and add as much tags as possible (also I personally don't need or use a lot of them) or try to support as much tools as possible by using the most important tags only... I went for the later one as it would be useful to a lot more people out there.

TagLibrarian

September 9, 2014
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Hi,
    Thank you kindly for the detailed explanation. Indeed it looks like there are as many metadata storing standards as there are applications. But even sorting that side of the equation out would leave us with not having a standardised schema for storing these tags in .mkv files :( And then something like Icaros would have to expose them to the operating system... Tough.

As I said I will be looking into the topic from time to time. For now (and because of your work) we are collectively closer to the goal than couple of years ago when I first wanted that :)

For now I can only dream of Directors, Years, Countries of origin here:

Thank you.

Regards
    m.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    New version 0.4.2 in first post.
    It's a bugfix version fixing issues with tagging of multi episodes in one file.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Today there is (in first posting) a new version 0.5.0 with a "killer" feature. Due to the work and help of @lightshock MKV Buddy is able to grab Fanart (Backgrounds, Poster, Banner and ClearArt) and Metadata for movies and series. This is done during the tagging process. That's why the tagging lasts longer a bit, but you don't need Ember or tiny Media Manger any more...

To get this working some small adjustments in "nfo4MP.exe.config" are needed. You can do this with any text editor you like. Near to the end of the file there is the setting for season folder names Here you need to change "Staffel" (German for Season) to whatever you need:
    XML:
                <setting name="Season" serializeAs="String">
                    <value>Staffel</value>
                </setting>
    Some lines above there are the settings of the naming for fanart. Maybe you need to alter those too...

Remux now is done by mkvmerge, at least for all container formats, mkvmerge can handle. This should solve the issues with slightly defect files and / or subtitles caused by FFMpeg.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Just a short note...
    Recently there only is a 64 bit version of Handbrake Nightly available. As the "regular" version still don't support Intel QuickSync you need to download and use the regular version if your OS is 32 bit and you also need to disable QS in MKV Buddy. On 64 bit OS all is working as usual.
    Added this to first post too.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    New "BugFix" Version 0.5.2 in first post. Grabbing of metadata is more reliable and faster. MKV Buddy now is able to rename your video files properly. Configuration for this can be found in nfo4MP.ini. Here you can adjust the setings, the renaming scheme,... Generally you can use all tags present in .nfo as variables for renaming. The tag- names need to be in {}. Some things like {plot} don't make too much sense, so it's up to you how you use it... For series there is no option to generate season subfolder atm. This is a WIP.
    Next step is to renew the config GUI to handle all this new options without the need for a text editor...

BTW, there is a new version of HandbrakeCLI for 32 bit OS included that can use Intel Quick Sync. So no need for hunting any more, if you use 32 bit OS. This version is working on both, 32 and 64 bit without limitations.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    New Version 0.6.0 in first post. This is a milestone on the road to "final" version.

This version has a completely overhauled configuration where you're now able to set the numerous options easily from within the GUI. MKV Buddy now is released as installer package for your comfort. The installer adds start menu shortcuts and a uninstaller.

Tons of new features are added. You can choose the language to grab metatdata independent from GUI language now. So you can run GUI in English but grab metadata in Italian or French (or any other) language. You can now let MKV Buddy add season folders, set the renaming schemes for movies and series to fit your wishes, set the bitrates used during recoding to your likes, add extra file types for recoding and remuxing aside of the build-in avi, mpg, mpeg, divx, mp4, wmv, asf, rm, ts, m2ts, flv, mov and wtv types, add an automatic setting for fall-back audio codecs. Now you're able to choose what type of fanart to load from internet. You can integrate all fanart and nfo to the MKV as attachment and, after successful operation, delete them optionally. And for movies you now can configure the naming of background, cover and nfo files.

Next is to write a manual. In meantime this tiny app has grown to a complex tool for video refurbishment. Also the simple and easy usage still is there (choose the folder to work on, press OK and let MKV Buddy do the rest) all the options to fit your individual needs are sometimes not self-explaining any more.

By the way,... Source code is installed in program folder so no need to extra download it any longer.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    New version 0.6.1 in first post.
    This is a bugfix version and contains help files and manual too. Both are available in German language only atm, but I'm working on the translation to English right now. I will add the English docs as soon as they are ready. BTW if someone can help me translating those documents this really, really would be appreciated. I've learned English in school some 30 years ago. Not too much memories left...

As a new feature the "sorttitle" tag now is filled with the movieset name and the date of release if there is any to find on TheMovieDB. This way all movies belonging to a set are listed together and in order of release...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    First quarter of translation the manual to English is done. If someone wants to have a look, I've attached it here.

BTW if you find some heavy mistakes, please let me know.

Attachments

• English_MKV Buddy Manual.pdf
      3 MB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm still working heavily on the translation of the manual into English language. Also I'm far away from being ready I would like to post a interim- version. On this the complete configuration part is translated. As the configuration may be most complicated for users I like to share it here.
    On some screenshots you may see the upcoming version 0.6.2 already. This version will be released as soon as I'm done with the translation. A few tiny configuration options may not be available in 0.6.1 but I'm pretty sure this did not matter that much.

Attachments

• English_MKV Buddy Manual.pdf
      3 MB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom