most of my movies have 100 votes, is this normal? (1 Viewer)

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
I updated Moving Pictures to 1.4.1.1421, and re-imported my movies. Many of them now say primary source: imdb.com. However, most of them still have a popularity value of 100. Some have 99, others have less. So this didn't really work the way I expected.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I updated Moving Pictures to 1.4.1.1421, and re-imported my movies. Many of them now say primary source: imdb.com. However, most of them still have a popularity value of 100. Some have 99, others have less. So this didn't really work the way I expected.

Then I guess the movie.popularity repurposement inside details node to represent votes-for-ratings has been disabled for the default IMDb scraper, which would explain the comments fforde made earlier.

Your only alternative then is the IMDb+ plugin that will install the IMDb+ scraper-script which still has full support for what you want. Install plugin via "MediaPortal Extension Installer" shortcut on your desktop, and then inside MediaPortal GUI open 'My Plugins' to locate IMDb+ plugin to adjust settings. You can also use the hidden menu (left arrow on default skin) to use the "Force IMDb+..." option to convert all your default IMDb and TheMovieDb scraper-script imported movies over and then you can do a Refresh all from same hidden menu to update the info. For more info please use the IMDb+ forum thread.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The default IMDb script never had anything disabled RoChess. The field is meant to rank popularity of similarly named movies, this has always been the case and we have never encouraged people to place this field on skins. It's only even made accessible for power users. If anything, over the years we made this field more accessible. We never "disabled" anything in the official IMDb script.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I've based my last few answers in this thread on the Google Code repository and since v0.8.0 of default IMDb scraper-script the movie.popularity field is repurposed inside details-node to no longer mean 100-or-less, but to represent the popularity-aka-votes-relating-to-rating. You yourself made this adjustment on September 14th 2008.

http://code.google.com/p/moving-pic...ScraperScripts/IMDb.xml?spec=svn137&r=137#113

And the scraper-script has been modified ever since to keep up with IMDb website changes (some I even helped on). Since it stopped working for anony, and you are so adamant in your "it is 100-or-less for search-node only and nothing else" argument, I give up and then go with the "I guess it got disabled then" reply to a user who has been using the value for votes-linked-to-rating.

Or am I missing something?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That change happened over four years ago (about one month after Moving Pictures was launched). As I stated above, the purpose of the field is to assist the importer and ideally the auto-approval logic. We switched from votes to search result order in the IMDb script in 2008, and we made this change because it produced better results. This field wasn't even made available to the skin until about a year ago.

In IMDb+ if you want to populate Popularity with votes that's fine I can see how that could be useful for some people. But like I said just be aware this is not the intended meaning of the field so do not expect these values to be consistent across other scrapers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread