Moved to new computer - need to migrate remote mappings (1 Viewer)

Alan Honeyman

Portal Pro
July 6, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
HomeY, I'm really grateful for the patient way you have handled my naive questions and I'll stretch the friendship by asking one more - my remotes have a big green Microsoft button, does that mean they are not Hauppauge remotes but MCE's?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    my remotes have a big green Microsoft button, does that mean they are not Hauppauge remotes but MCE's?
    Not 100% sure about that, but the green button might indicate the 'act' as an MCE remote.
    Easiest way to test is to open MP Config >> Remote >> Microsoft MCE tab >> check 'Use Microsoft MCE remote or keyboard'.
    Then hit OK to save/close the config and test the remote ;)

Would be nice if this solves it! :D

Alan Honeyman

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, tried that but no go. Annoyingly, in the MP config, it all looks correct. my test it the "back" button. In the config it's set to esc and that works for the keyboard but not for the remote. I even began to think it wasn't using keymap.xml so I delete the contents and then remote wouldn't do anything - so it definitely uses that file. I've tried resetting the mapping - nothing seems to work. It's probably something simple but it escapes me.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've tried resetting the mapping - nothing seems to work. It's probably something simple but it escapes me.
    It often is, but what could be the cause... I'm running out of ideas also.

Do you recall if you used IRTrans on your previous system?
    Or maybe used IR Server Suite?
    Are you using the lastest HP drivers? Maybe try the previous driver? Read in a thread that downgrading the drivers solved a similar issue for another user.

Maybe you can find some extra info here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppauge-rc6-tsha-ir01-plugged-in-hvr-4400.95741/

Alan Honeyman

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    OK, a little more clarity. I managed to fire up my old computer (until it died again) and discovered the following:

o There is no IR.EXE or IR32.EXE running
    o In MP config, the remote is set as MCE
    o LM REMOTE KEYMAP BLASTER SERVICE
    LM REMOTE KEYMAP DESKTOP LISTENER
    LM REMOTE KEYMAP SERVICE CONTROLLER
    seem to be handling the interface to the remote.

The system was set up by a good friend, currently O/S, who made the decision to use LM. So, that's what the old system was using but it seems unnecessary to use it in this new setup when you and others didn't but, needs must.....

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    my remotes have a big green Microsoft button, does that mean they are not Hauppauge remotes but MCE's?
    Just to note, Hauppauge do bundle some MCE remotes with some tuners. They also have non-MCE remotes (38 button, 45 button etc.).

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    but it seems unnecessary to use it in this new setup when you and others didn't
    But i'm using a Harmony One remote, and not a HP.
    It looks like you need the additional software to make your remote work, as mm stated above that HP also has non-MCE remotes.
    Yours seems to be a non-MCE remote, since you tested checking the 'MCE remote' option, and that didn't work.

Alan Honeyman

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    After a lot of fiddling around, I have a better understanding of how things work (or don't work), in particular that IR32.exe and irremote.ini have nothing to do with proceedings as deleting the latter makes no difference. So, I need to understand how to configure keymap.xml to suit my remote. Oh well, more reading.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hauppauge remotes won't work without IR32.exe and irremote.ini. If you don't have a Hauppauge remote then you don't need them.

Alan Honeyman

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well, you have hit upon the key item. I have 2 remotes which came with HP kits - one is the TSHA-IR01 and the other has no model number but both feature in HP kit pictures. Neither behaves any differently whether IR32 is running or not. The only buttons which behave as expected are LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN & ENTER. I'm trying to understand how to mod keymap.xml but I need to know which button generates what code. I'm currently looking for a program which will display IR codes (not keyboard codes, there are lots of those).

EDIT: Buttons 0-9 also work correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom