[fixed] Movie db refresh on changes of nfo and correct spelling of words in titles (1 Viewer)

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
October 31, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
Best is to prepare the movies before importing them if you asked me. Lot less work...

If you want to reimport anything you can remove the source and re- add it again or you even can stop the MP2 server, delete the database (datastore.s3db in ProgramData/... ) and restart the server to begin from scratch with an empty database...

Thats a solution, but not very comfortable. I think it was better to do a re-import for all items and delete all old data. ;) Otherwhise the word re-import make no sense, IMHO.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To remove the source is much, much, much, much faster than to reimport and overwrite anything... Due to heavy performance issues this is no option at all. By the way, the fastest is to delete the database (only takes one second)...
    My whole series source (600++ series 20.000++ episodes) takes many hours (10-15) to import. A reimport as you suggest nearly will double this time (up to more than a whole day) as first all data needs to be deleted step by step in the database and then all data must be read in again... Removing the share is done in some minutes as there is no need to check if all the extra data (actor or similar) is needed for anything else.

The database of MP2 is much more complex than e.g the MP1 or Kodi database... It offers much more possibilities like search for an actor or director across videos, movies series and even audio, something that isn't possible in MP1 as there the movie database don't know anything about the series database and vice versa...

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To remove the source is much, much, much, much faster than to reimport and overwrite anything... Due to heavy performance issues this is no option at all. By the way, the fastest is to delete the database (only takes one second)...

Maybe thats right ;) but in that case "re-import" is a little bit missunderstanding and for users without knowledge where they can find the specific hidden folders and files it is not very usefull. I think MP2 should be a system for all users and not only for people with specific system knowledge. ;) I know where I can find the files, but I think I have more work to delete a db and make all files visible, as to click on re-import. Thats not what I prefer for users without system knowledge and to make mp comfortable as frontend.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You only have the choice "delete a hidden file in seconds" or "wait for days". No question which one to choose... An "average" user did not do a re-import as you want to do. The "average user" don't give a damn about correct spelling or most recent descriptions... For an average user re-import does exactly what's needed, rescan the source to get all newly added movies... And normally this is triggered by the Windows file watcher without the user even noticed it. But this original Windows function is not very reliable so you also can trigger this manually if needed...

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You only have the choice "delete a hidden file in seconds" or "wait for days". No question which one to choose... An "average" user did not do a re-import as you want to do. The "average user" don't give a damn about correct spelling or most recent descriptions... For an average user re-import does exactly what's needed, rescan the source to get all newly added movies... And normally this is triggered by the Windows file watcher without the user even noticed it. But this original Windows function is not very reliable so you also can trigger this manually if needed...

Do you like a frontend for every one or only a frontend for experts with system knowledge? In my case a re-import needs 30 sec. not days ;) but the re-import do not re-import. If I click on hide visible folders, navigate to ProgramData/, looking for the mp folder, searching the db-file and delete it, it takes 5 minutes. Thats the problem and the usabillity. I do not need a re-import which does not re-import anything. I think users would have a re-import which also refreshes all db entries without to change any system settings or to do it manually.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In my case a re-import needs 30 sec. not days
    Wait until you've added some more stuff... :D:whistle::p

Do you like a frontend for every one or only a frontend for experts with system knowledge?
    A HTPC software was for nerds, is for nerds and always will be for nerds. A "non-nerd" is not using MediaPortal, not even Kodi... A "normal" user is watching Netflix, Spotify, YouTube and Amazon Prime on his smartphone with the corresponding apps and also uses the same online services on his Smart-TV... And to be honest, a Smart TV does a lot of things even better than a HTPC in meantime. especially when it comes to all those online streaming services... So using a HTPC is something where you can expect at least a little bit of interest and knowledge on the user side... We probably can change the name of this item from "reimport" to e.g. "rescan" or similar, if this fits your taste the better (by the way, you even can do this without any programming knowledge by yourself, if you want)...

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @henso, see the above: there is an issue with the nfo importer that changes the movie title to use capitals for each word.
    There was some code in place that tried to make titles look more a like by title casing them. I removed that since it seems to be unwanted.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    that behaviour is so since at least MP2.2 release
    The team can't fix what it is not aware of. I wonder why you didn't report it six months ago when 2.2 was published.

@cbr954rr , the issue has already been addressed. The fix will be part of the next release MP 2.2.2.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

The team can't fix what it is not aware of. I wonder why you didn't report it six months ago when 2.2 was published.

@cbr954rr , the issue has already been addressed. The fix will be part of the next release MP 2.2.2.

because I am the only one who has certain troubles no one else has. Here it seems also that there is only one other user who has the same trouble like me. From all the installs of MP2.2 out there - for six months now - there hasn't been one single instance where this error had been reported.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From all the installs of MP2.2 out there - for six months now - there hasn't been one single instance where this error had been reported.
    Which makes me believe that the use of nfo input is not very widespread, at last not among non-English users as for those you want to have the capital letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom