[Bug] Movie shutter - 10AE - Update 1 test builds (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The red line is for frames per second. This depends on lots of factors. Size and quality of the video, used Codec, used hardware and so on. I have seen that the red line is extremely flat since I'm using the Intel IGPU. The short ways between CPU and GPU may be a reason. The video playback quality is visible better with the HD4600 than with a Nvidia GT430 or an ATI HD5450 I've used earlier. Lately I was able to test a NVidia GTX750 which is significant faster if it comes to 3D games, but it's (visible) worse than the Intel HD4600 regarding video playback quality

Without changing hardware the easiest part to change is the codec. You can test MS Codec the first as it is part of Windows anyway. On some systems it's better than LAVF. Other codecs you can test are PowerDVD or CoreAVC. Before you install other codecs make a backup of your system to have an option to get rid of them completely.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have MP1 running... I have a few minor issues but I think it is my configuration and or TV
    As for MP2, it continues to cause Very High CPU usage on my system while a movie is playing.
    Even doing an ESC to bring the Movies screen back up has a delay.
    Currently I am hunting for a different HDMI video card to try...

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    you haven't reply what settings have you set for LAV video. Don't forget that defaults are decode via CPU, so if you haven't touched anything in LAV - most probably it is not using GPU - in this case try to set DXVA and try again

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Her you go.
    2 things.
    1 I understand there might be an issue with my Card connecting to the TV thru HDMI giving me strange resolutions. I am looking into that
    2 None of this explains the Excessively High CPU usage when running MP2 movies

LAV Settings
    LAV.jpg

MP1 Settings
    MP1.jpg

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    Here is a question.
    Before all this started and I had no issues, is it possible the newer version of LAV is not working with the older version of SAF?
    With that in mind, I upgraded today to the new SAF.... OMG, it was like starting over! Even after I finally got my movies working Again, there still seems to be an issue with the system decoding correctly to the Hardware within my system.
    I have tried 3 different versions of CCC. Ran every test I can think of. Yet, the graph Red line is in constant change and the CPU usage between MP1 and MP2 is way different... Something within MP2 is taking 100% of my CPU's.

My next test is going to be a removal all including SAF, LAV, MP2 and Full MP1
    I will then install just MP2 and see what the results are.
    To date, I have no issues playing movies capable of WMP at all.

Any other ideas?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    SAF is just an average Codec pack and for this it's something nobody should install at all. On XP those codec packs are usefull, but as Win7 can playback nearly all otb it's definitely not good to use. Only thing not working on Win7 otb is MKV. For that LAVF is needed. And as lots of codecs are (similar to virus or spyware) really hard to remove I can imagine you need to reinstall Windows itself.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    SAF is just an average Codec pack and for this it's something nobody should install at all. On XP those codec packs are usefull, but as Win7 can playback nearly all otb it's definitely not good to use. Only thing not working on Win7 otb is MKV. For that LAVF is needed. And as lots of codecs are (similar to virus or spyware) really hard to remove I can imagine you need to reinstall Windows itself.

Very interesting.... As of late there have been updates to SAF and it seems to support everything thru 8.1.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/saf-v6-based-on-lavf.95635/

While I see in the later part of that thread there have been reports of issues, I am not so sure this can be counted out as a viable codec pack.

If there is something someone knows to help decide if this is an issue for any current OS and MediaPortal, I am all ears.
    With that, if there does turn out to be issues, then doesn't the MP Dev's step in and make it known?

Personally I cannot see anything funny about any of this. I am not the only one having LAV issues and it appears I am not the only one looking at or have used SAF in the past....

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    it seems to support everything thru 8.1
    It supports Win up to 8.1 but it's not necessary. Lots of things a normal user never needed are installed with SAF (or any other codec pack). Especially as the main part of SAF is LAVF itself. As more codecs you've installed as worse did the MS DirectShow system works. You only need one codec per filetype. If you have 2 or 3 doing (nearly) the same normally this did not hurt. But if this gets too much the system looses speed and stability up to complete breakdown.
    (Only) If you encounter issues with MS or LAV filters you can try others, but one at a time until you found something that fits your needs. Installing all you can get hands on is not the way to get a stable and reliable system.
    As example... my pretty old AVR has issues playing AC3 2.0 sound. It will be mixed to "hallway" or crap like this. One way to avoid this is to not bitstream AC3. That is not a good thing when it comes to DolbyDigital 5.1... My solution is AC3filter for Audio as there I can add "empty" tracks to "upmix" 2.0 to 5.1. This is played pretty well on my AVR...
    But what's the best here must not be the best there... You can find the optimal solution by try and error only, as every system is different.
    In your case it's possible that PowerDVD codec fits best to your system. I heard sometimes that PDVD works best on ATI GPU... Personally I never saw it this way, but I'm not using the HD5450 in HTPC a long time now. ATM it's not in use at all as I got more and more systems with IGPU...

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @breese does the shutter issue is resolve with the last weekly build ? For me yes. If so, we can mark the thread ''Fixed'' ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom