Moving Pictures rebuilds movie list everytime i select all movies (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I have >2300 movies and it takes approx 35 seconds to load. Is this normal? I don't want to keep comparing with TVSeries plugin, but I have a very large collection of tv shows and that plugin seems to load very quickly.

People keep comparing MovingPictures to the speed of MP-TVSeries, but you are forgetting one major difference.

You can have 15,000 episodes in MP-TVSeries, but they are all put into a 'categories' alike structure via 'TV Show title' -> 'Season' -> 'Episode'.

So the maximum that MP-TVSeries usually has to deal with is say 100 'TV Shows' to list.

Now disable the 'All Movies' category for MovingPictures and any other >100 listing and create the same MP-TVSeries alike structure with a maximum of 50 movies per listing and you too will be amazed by the super fast speeds.

But the reality is that during launch MovingPictures has to sort/order/fill in those >2300 movies into single categories, possibly even more and that takes time. If those movies were then also put on networked storage it would really take time, and that has been dramatically improved with this new version. I'm sure down the road optimisations could be made to the initial loading of the list, perhaps some asynchrone way, but that might add a lot of extra problems as well, so you can also build a faster computer :D

All kidding aside, an SSD dramatically improves the loading speed of MovingPictures during the initialisation part. I've also seen people go crazy and configure things to run from a RAMDisk (not for the faint of heart). But the easy thing is to simply limit the full listings to smaller categories or for the time being use the extra loading time to toss a bag of popcorn into the microwave :cool:

[/vent]

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The folder structure wont make a difference. As for startup time I am not sure what to tell you, all our startup processes are pretty essential. And the ones that can be deferred we run in a separate background thread. I will try to spend some time reviewing startup before our next release, its been a while since I have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb. I am not sure there is much to optimize though. Moving Pictures is a complicated program with a lot of components.

bwg

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Ok, thanks guys. Glad there isn't something i was missing. If that seems like typical performance, I can live with it. Once loaded it is not an issue anyway. I will just have to cut down on my number of movies! ;)

Boiler

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    AW: Moving Pictures rebuilds movie list everytime i select all movies

i for one can confirm an extreme increase in speed, very happy with this release, thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom