Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta] (1 Viewer)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sorry antonehenry, Moving Pictures Social will not be an online backup of your database. This will be a new service that integrates with and complements Moving Pictures.

We do have plans to add support for storing movie information in files next to the actual movie file. NFO file support is what makes sense to most people. This would allow any custom movie data to be preserved even when rebuilding your database. This wont be available until 1.0 though.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Sounds nice. Suggestion. If possible integrate a database online, so that all info can be downloaded for your profile if for some reason you have to reinstall MP. The set up takes me forever at this time. Anyway. Thanks! Look forward to it.

i would recommend you make a backup of the database file before reinstalling mp.

I do this and reinstalling takes under 3 minutes for whole mp package and under 30 secs (or as long as it takes for the movpic installer to finish).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, this project seems to become a great new star at the social web sky. ;) It's great to show friends my movie collection and tell them my own opinion about this movies.

This Project should not be a backup for video informations, but it can improve the results of the movie scanner. At the moment moving pictures is sometimes selecting the wrong film for getting informations, if there are films with the same filmtitle. So Moving Pictures could search at first at my MP social profile for movie informations (not a backup, but a searchable Database). The second step could be that the scanner is searching in other profiles for movieinformations (and selects the title with the most users - like misterwong ;)). And only after this two steps the Movie Importer uses conventionally databases.

This ist only an idea.

You have written, that you want to finance the server with ads. I hate advertising. So if you need server capacities, contact me.
    I've a root server hostet at the same hoster (an in the same datacenter) like team-mediaportal.com with enough free capacities (I'm still supporting the ofdbgw projekt (also used by moving pictures) with a mirror server).

lg cilla

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I agree on the idea of using the online database to parse files. if a file has been downloaded from the same torrent then it will probably still have teh same filename. If a user has parse this movie correctly it could be of use to other users.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hopefully all of you using this service only have legal stuff in you movie collections.
    Would be an interresting target for the movie studios.

Just my two cents.
    grubi.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    To begin with, Moving Pictures is designed to manage your DVD collection along with DVD rips (possibly reencoded to save on disk space), all legal content. That being said, as with any social networking site, we realize there are privacy concerns with Moving Pictures Social. I assure you we take these concerns very seriously and as we approach the launch of the site we will provide additional information about privacy. I can tell you now though that we from the start have decided to have a "private until shared" policy. Nothing about you or your movie collection will be shared with anyone unless you explicitly choose to share it with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom