MovingPictures crashes MP on startup when UNC share has permission problems

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by UNOPARATOR, August 14, 2016.

1. UNOPARATOR
    • Premium Supporter

UNOPARATOR MP Donator

.NET Developer
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    Turkey Turkey
    Show System Specs
    Like the title says, MovingPictures crashes MP on startup when UNC share has permission problems.

A little background:
    MP runs on a PC called HTPC and I have a share called \\NAS\Movies which MovingPictures has as a library.
    Both HTPC and NAS are on a Windows 10 Home Network and that share is read-only for Homegroup.
    It has been running like this for many years with different versions Windows.
    Today I updated both PCs to Windows 10 Annivery Update, and after that MP started to crash on start-up (every time).
    When I looked at the logs it was pointing at MovingPictures for not being able to reach that share - but I accidentally cleared them (sorry).
    After that I tried Windows Explorer to see if the share was reachable from HTPC by typing \\NAS which showed me Movies share, but I got a permission error when I tried to go inside.
    I tried the same thing from another PC in the same Homegroup and it was working.
    I logged into the NAS and stopped the share and then re-shared to Homegroup as read-only (just like before), then all was fine and working.

So there seems to be some exception handling needed in the start-up of MovingPictures where it checkes the existing libraries.
    If you must have logs, I might try to reproduce by creating a new share, add it to MovingPictures, saving the settings then mess up with the permissions to get the error on start-up for logs.
    But that might take me awhile since a new week is starting.

Thank you for such a great plugin and keep up the good work.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ltfearme
    • Premium Supporter

ltfearme Community Plugin Dev

Software Test Engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,410 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Yeah, it would be nice to know what line its crashing so I can add some protection around there. I cant remember if the latest release has a PDB also installed but that would give me the line it crashes on in the log.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!