MovingPictures crashes MP on startup when UNC share has permission problems (1 Viewer)

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Like the title says, MovingPictures crashes MP on startup when UNC share has permission problems.

A little background:
    MP runs on a PC called HTPC and I have a share called \\NAS\Movies which MovingPictures has as a library.
    Both HTPC and NAS are on a Windows 10 Home Network and that share is read-only for Homegroup.
    It has been running like this for many years with different versions Windows.
    Today I updated both PCs to Windows 10 Annivery Update, and after that MP started to crash on start-up (every time).
    When I looked at the logs it was pointing at MovingPictures for not being able to reach that share - but I accidentally cleared them (sorry).
    After that I tried Windows Explorer to see if the share was reachable from HTPC by typing \\NAS which showed me Movies share, but I got a permission error when I tried to go inside.
    I tried the same thing from another PC in the same Homegroup and it was working.
    I logged into the NAS and stopped the share and then re-shared to Homegroup as read-only (just like before), then all was fine and working.

So there seems to be some exception handling needed in the start-up of MovingPictures where it checkes the existing libraries.
    If you must have logs, I might try to reproduce by creating a new share, add it to MovingPictures, saving the settings then mess up with the permissions to get the error on start-up for logs.
    But that might take me awhile since a new week is starting.

Thank you for such a great plugin and keep up the good work.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yeah, it would be nice to know what line its crashing so I can add some protection around there. I cant remember if the latest release has a PDB also installed but that would give me the line it crashes on in the log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom