MP 1.6 and HDHomerun Prime - not releasing / deactivating tuners when done. (1 Viewer)

T^2

Portal Pro
December 9, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It appears that MP is not always releasing, or deactivating, tuners in the HDHomerun Prime. If all tuners are inactive and I go into "TV" in MP, turn TV on, a HDHR tuner will get activated. Turn TV off and the tuner will get deactivated. Sounds good so far. However, if I turn TV on, and then go into full screen TV, MP will no longer deactivate the activated tuner no matter what I do (Click on stop, Click X to close MP, Got back to TV menu and turn TV off). If I select another channel in TV Guide and select it to watch live, another tuner is not activated (I can see the station change for the activated channel in the status of the HDHomerun web app). If I start recording the active channel, and then switch to another channel to watch, a new tuner is actived (expected) - with 2 tuners now active. Stop watching live TV and two channels remain active. Stop recording the recorded channel. Two channels remain active. Exit from MP. Two channels remain active. Stop the TVServer service. Two channels remain active. The only way I can deactivate the activated tuner is to open the HDHomerun Config GUI, select the activated channel, click on View (which opens the HDHomerun QuickTV app with live TV), and then close QuickTV. The HDHomerun QuickTV always deactivates the tuner when it's done with it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello T^2

I'll cut straight to the chase.
    Running a firewall?
    If so, try disabling it and see if that helps.

mm

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Logs attached.[DOUBLEPOST=1390342650][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hello T^2

Running a firewall?

mm

If HDHomerun QuickTV app always deactivates the tuner would deactivating the firewall make a difference?[DOUBLEPOST=1390342899][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hello T^2

Running a firewall?

mm

Ok... Answering my own question... Yes deactivating the firewall (Norton IS in this case) did make a difference. Now when I exit MP, or stop liveTV the tuner LED blinks for several seconds and then goes out. So what now?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If HDHomerun QuickTV app always deactivates the tuner would deactivating the firewall make a difference?
    A firewall can block one app and allow another. Yes, I expect it will make a difference. I also note that a wireshark trace is probably helpful.

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    If HDHomerun QuickTV app always deactivates the tuner would deactivating the firewall make a difference?
    A firewall can block one app and allow another. Yes, I expect it will make a difference. I also note that a wireshark trace is probably helpful.

What do I have to configure in the firewall
    So what now?
    Configure your firewall to give TvService.exe proper access to the PRIME. TvService.exe will need full access to your network.

Ok... Re-enabled Norton. Went into Norton's firewall settings. In Program Rules, I set TVService.exe to "Allow". That didn't get it. Still have the problem. What next?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, I'm not able to tell you how to configure Norton. I've never used it.

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    So playing around... It appears that turning off Stealth Blocked Ports in Norton IS Smart Firewall fixes the problem. So it's apparently a blocked port issue.[DOUBLEPOST=1390346843][/DOUBLEPOST]Well played around some more... Can't figure out what to (custom) set in Norton so that Stealth Blocked Ports can be re-enabled.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can't really make any further comment without a Wireshark trace. The trace would confirm if the problem is blocking of incoming or outgoing traffic (it could be either.

AFAIK in technical terms the unlock is triggered by sending an RTSP TEARDOWN request... which means the RTSP port (554) must be open... but I think it was the PRIME that uses strange ports for stuff.

T^2

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2013
    Home Country
    So... Still getting some odd behavior even with the firewall turned off. Most of the time the channel changes are quick in MP. However, occasionally the channel change can take an excessive amount of time. Say Tuner 0 is currently active, command a new channel, and it just waits. While waiting Tuner 1 LED will start blinking and will remain blinking for some time after the channel change finally happens (eventually going out). Tuner 0's LED remains steady the whole time.

I noted the following from SD's installation instructions:

Tuner LED(s):
    Green: the tuner is in use, tuned to a channel, and streaming data.
    Flashing: the tuner has been reserved by an application but is not actively streaming.

Also note that there are no channel changing issues with the HDHomeRun QuickTV app. All channels changes are quick. No LED's blink with channel changes when using the QuickTV app. Nor do LED's blink when QuickTV quits/released the tuner.

Logs attached...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom