MP client can't reconnect after "connection to tv service lost" (1 Viewer)

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    TV-Server Version: 1.0
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium Dualcore E5200
    HDD: Not enough
    Memory: DDRII 4GB
    Motherboard: ASUS P5N7A-VM
    Video Card: Geforce 9300 mGPU
    Video Card Driver: -
    Sound Card: M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    Sound Card AC3: -
    Sound Card Driver: -
    1. TV Card:
    1. TV Card Type:
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card: Twinhan Mantis 3030
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.400
    3. TV Card: Twinhan Mantis 3030
    3. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    3. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.400
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD8
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    h.264 Video Codec: -
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Boxer
    HTPC Case: Silverstone LC-17
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Zalman 360w
    Remote: -
    TV: Sony 40" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI or D-Sub

I have a dedicated TV server and multiple clients. I'm using Power Scheduler to put the TV server in standby mode when not used.

When the TV server enters standby, idle MP clients gets "connection to tv service lost" message. The MP clients then needs to be restarted to get access to the TV service again. The TV server itself is of course set up to wake on network activity, and it wakes when clients wants to access the tv service, but a restart of the MP client is always required.

The "connection to tv service lost" is also a bit annoying since it causes clients to stop when playing music (stored locally).

For more info see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/workaround-client-lost-connection-tvservice-51589/#post358454

To recreate the issue;
    1) Start MP, go to MyTV
    2) Start TV
    3) Stop TV and return to Home Screen
    4) Pull network cable
    5) Wait for "Connection to TV service lost message"
    6) Re-connect network cable
    7) Go to MyTV
    8) Start TV

Expected result, TV starts playing.

Actual result, nothing happens.

After a restart of MP, TV is working again.

regards
    /jonas

Kaoh

Portal Pro
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have the same issue, different reason, but indeed when the connection gets lost the only sollution is to restart MP.
    This is a problem for me. In my case I have a full wifi setup, the tv server and clients are all on a wifi n network and each client connects with a 300 Mbps speed. Bu during the day it does loose connection to the tv server.
    I would really appreciate it that the client would try to reconnect when the conenction has been lost when the user presses the ok button or opens the tv menu or some moment like that.

I will see if it is doable in a plugin or something if there is no official way to solve this.

fanformusik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have a similar problem, but with a single seat setup (no TV streaming from a remote computer): My HTPC is connected via WLAN to a NAS server that stores extra videos. If this connection fails when watching live TV (rarely, but it does happen), MP looses connection to its local TV server and needs to be restarted.

Any cure to this?

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have a similar problem, but with a single seat setup (no TV streaming from a remote computer): My HTPC is connected via WLAN to a NAS server that stores extra videos. If this connection fails when watching live TV (rarely, but it does happen), MP looses connection to its local TV server and needs to be restarted.

Any cure to this?

Think this is another problem, check this thread.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/problem-tv-server-wlan-41937/

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks!

Just some thoughts...

The message "connection to tv service lost" seems only applicable if the client is currently interacting with the server. If the client e.g. is in homescreen or playing music this information is rather useless, the client should just re-connect to the server when needed. However if the server isn't reachable a "Can't connect to tv service" message would be nice.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks!

Just some thoughts...

The message "connection to tv service lost" seems only applicable if the client is currently interacting with the server. If the client e.g. is in homescreen or playing music this information is rather useless, the client should just re-connect to the server when needed. However if the server isn't reachable a "Can't connect to tv service" message would be nice.

Some "counter thought" ;)

Do you remember that the home screen does show the red recording indicator as well?
    Right... Like it has been designed MP always needs a connection to the server. The only thing which can be done without mayor rework is fixing the reconnect part of it.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks!

Just some thoughts...

Some "counter thought" ;)

Do you remember that the home screen does show the red recording indicator as well?
    Right... Like it has been designed MP always needs a connection to the server. The only thing which can be done without mayor rework is fixing the reconnect part of it.

Some "counter counter thoughts"...

I did almost suspect that MP always needs a connection to the tv server ;)

In that case there must be some focus on keeping the connection alive. I'm using PowerScheduler in multiseat setup, PowerScheduler will happily put the server into standby if no MP clients are watching/recording tv.

Since all my media is stored on the tv server as well, I wrote a little patch for the PowerScheduler server plugin, https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/development-91/patch-power-scheduler-tv-server-plugin-52155/

This patch prevents the server from going into standby if there is network activity. Since there seems to be some traffic between MP and the server even when MP is in homescreen, the patch prevents standby in this case as well.

So, as long as there is some traffic betweem MP and server the connection could be kept alive.

However, after sometime the traffic between the MP and the server suddenly stops, and the server goes into standby anyway :(

Could the above patch be included in 1.0.1? Please.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Any cure to this?

For a single-seat setup, try this - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/msloopback-device-singleseat-users-51028/.

TV viewing on my single-seat setup has run much more smoothly since I moved over to using the MS loopback adaptor.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom