MP Client (1 Viewer)

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
A couple of years ago I posted some messages trying to find out if there was interest in a client application based on the mvpmc software for the Hauppauge MVP. There was very little interest from users and especially developers who only wanted to think about Windows clients.

Since that time development grew and I developed a generic extender client that GBPVR uses but it is open to others, there is an open source linux server for VDR as an example.

What might make this potentially more interesting is earlier this year I ported and update the code to the Popcorn Hour and so I think the client can play pretty much any media you through at it.

So the purpose of this email is to see if things have changed. Do you guys want this now? Maybe the timing is better given the trouble some people might be having with new media or the fact that you could get a full HD client for under $200 I don't see how this couldn't be enticing.

Martin

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Right now the NMT's only support srt, smi, sub and ssa natively on files. The graphic subtitles are shown in DVD iso etc. You have to request this support on the NMT forums. The player already allows you to select PMT and audio PIDs from parent mpeg-ts stream so it all being demuxed, it probably is just a question of demand for the vendor.

Martin

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
No the client that I have is generic in nature, it is independent from the server. The basic idea is the "screens" are created external and then delivered using a rfb which is a VLC like protocol. It cannot do 3D graphics but it is quite good at GDI style 2D. It sounds like it would be slow but in reality it isn't. Here is an example of an audio directory of almost 1000 folder on GBBPVR YouTube - NMT screen speed It does slow down if the menu are configured for more than 720p resolution just because of the sheer volume of data (4 x 1920 x 1080). No matter what the resolution of the menu system, the movies/videos are displayed correctly.

Martin

peely

Portal Member
November 25, 2007
Olney, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I would kill for this, I left MP to move to GBPVR because of their NMT support. There's an issue in rendering OSD on top of media though on the NMT which makes live TV a bit of an issue with the guide etc.

If this could be worked around and a rich, tvclient developed on the NMT I think people would flock to it.

emveepee

Portal Member
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi Peely, I didn't recognize you without the avatar. Just to be clear I am not proposing creating a rich MP standalone client for the NMT, it is not powerful enough. I am proposing working with MP developers to create a server/client appproach like GBPVR uses, which can be very powerful.

As for an OSD I am working with Syabas to see if it can be revolved, the protocol does allow it. For now I can overlay a transparent png which does enhance the experience but GBPVR doesn't make use of this interface.

Martin

peely

Portal Member
November 25, 2007
Olney, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Martin,

I admire your persistence, I know you've been here before and I really hope the team here are more receptive to you this time. Having seen your YouTube videos I see how far your project is so it's good to see that Syabas are willing to cooperate.

For many reasons my A100 is sitting in a drawer in my desk, it would be great to have a purpose to play with it again and I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck,

Neil.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
This would be great. Alot of people jumping the MCE-wagon, because of the Extender functionality, so this could definately be a selling point. How would this handle plugins in regards to MP, say TV-series and MyFilms/Moving Pictures? Is this something that has to be coded and is it even possible?

Because for this to be a good solution and recieve support, I think it needs to have the same look and feel of MP. Is this skinnable?

The low cost could probably be more important that what I've written above, because for a client in the bedroom you might not need to have that great a box - just basic access to videos (via explorer like navigation) and easy access to Live/recorded TV might do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom