matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Could you tell a dummy...

I am actually planning a home network system and would be very interested to have a media portal server machine and several popcorn hour clients as i think this are the best client machines at a reasonable price at he moment. i was rather disappointed to read that such a setup wouldn´t work until now. so could you please tell me more in an understandable way for a dummy what your project is able to do and what i can expect it to do in let us say 4 months? what kind of frontend can it provide ( you know - the waf factor...)

Phunky

Portal Member
    July 19, 2007
    This sounds great, im currently looking at the best options for putting a front end into my bedroom that can run from my media server and the Popcorn Hour A-100 looks ideal!

Anything that would extend the use of TV Server would be brill!

lostboy

February 4, 2006
    Portsmouth, UK
    Martin,

I wasn't aware of the NMT until reading this thread - I'd previously looked at the GBPVR with MVP option, but stayed with MP because of lack of HD support from the MVP. So having looked at the NMT, especially the new A110, I feel a media portal enabled NMT client would be really useful. The focus for me would be TV, [watching live (buffered) , guide, recording schedule and recording replay/delete] as I assume I could use one of the current NMT methods to access the file-server that hosts videos, pictures etc.

This has got me quite excited. I have been researching how to build a quiet, small, low power (consumption) pc just to run the media portal client for distributed use in the house, but prices are prohibitive for PC based clients and some of the tech is still a little uncertain (e.g. DXVA on the Intel G45). However, the NMT device appears fits the bill nicely, if only it had comprehensive TV support.

Martin, please let us know if you feel able to commence this effort. I understand that the devs were a little surprised by the amount of users driving large widescreen displays from MP. I think this indicates that there's likely to be a lot of people who would appreciate the functionality of MP in a quiet, low cost box supporting other screens round the house (bedrooms, study, etc.).

More power to your elbow sir.

Chris

emveepee

Portal Member
    November 5, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    To see what the capabilities of the client are here is a link which will give you a rough idea.

YouTube - Mayhem 3 on the PCH

lostboy I am definitely able to work with MP developers that are interested in creating the client on the server that will be necessary.

jonaskp the skin is on the MP site, I have create a thin client and if the development is done right your selected MP skin will be displayed. That demo shows MixMan's skin on GBPVR rendered on my "dumb" client.

BTW for some reason mail notification of replies are turned off so I thought this topic was dead. Glad to see some interest.

Martin

El Gitto

Portal Member
    November 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would it be possible for a MP developer to respond to Martin's suggestion? This really has great potential, but I feel this just doesn't get the attention it deserves. Just take a look at the youtube videos.

Chris

mruane

Portal Pro
    June 4, 2006
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Martin

Please keep pushing this. I use your mvpmc tools on my A-100 PCH for GBPVR and an ability to play Media Portal through the PCH would be very welcome.

Cheers Mike

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Wouldn't it be easier to put an Asus Eee Box on the net and throw in a light version of windows XP, running a "real" MediaPortal client? Or am I totally missing the picture here?

(I know it probably needs some beefing up/overclocking to run 1080p, but 720p will do just fine on the Atom).

(Overclocking will not even be neccesary when they start shipping the new version with ATI Radeon 3400 onboard!)

El Gitto

Portal Member
    November 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wouldn't it be easier to put an Asus Eee Box on the net and throw in a light version of windows XP, running a "real" MediaPortal client?
    Fair point. I think the soon coming new Eee boxes have great potential. But it has a hard drive and a fan, so I'm not sure how silent it will be. The PCH is 100% silent and it plays everything. It's just a great piece of hardware and lots of people have one. And the mvpmc project supports more hardware and maybe even more in the future. How about running a MediaPortal mvpmc client on your PS3? No need for an extra computer by your TV.

Chris

rusguy

February 2, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    popcorn user

I am a subscriber to a paid tv streaming site that has created a mediaportal plugin to be used to watch their content. I have a popcorn hour device and was looking for a way to run a mediaportal client on it. This thread looks like it is kinda old and I am wondering if popcorn hour client is in the making or not?

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    Not too much enthusiasm here from developers but I guess there's just not that many of them and they are all busy. Anyway, I too would like to see the full potential of a media server with thin and cheap clients come true. As an example: I also like the smooth way this operates with MCE and extenders (my XBOX 360), only the limitation of not being able to play mkv-files makes that one unusable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom