MP Crashes every time I turn TV off - than back on (windows program error) (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    More logs.
    Right, now we're starting to get some of the info we need, thanks.

From the second set of logs, the tasty bit is:
    "06/08/2013 21:51:10";"Application Error";"Application Crashing Events";"Error";"The description for Event ID '1000' in Source 'Application Error' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them. The following information is part of the event:'MediaPortal.exe', '1.4.0.16', '51c70fb1', 'wdmaud.drv', '6.1.7601.17514', '4ce7ba26', 'c0000005', '00003d48'";"1000"
    It tells us MP is taken down by a crash in the Windows audio subsystem. The issue is probably due to the fact that video (and audio) is still streaming in MP when you turn the receiver off. I'd guess if you were stopping TV in MP before turning off the receiver you wouldn't have a problem.

Still waiting on these two things:
    So that we're all clear, can you please specify exactly what you do (ie. step by step) to reproduce the problem. Please be sure to specify if you're turning the receiver on/off while playing TV.

Also, if you haven't already checked please can you confirm if the same issue applies for TV, video and music.
    The timing and method you use to turn the TV and/or receiver off are crucial, so please don't skimp on the detail.

Fairly sure this has to do with the resizing of MP when AMP/TV is switched back on.
    What makes you say that?
    I would say that the resizing is due to the fact that the GPU driver via Windows notify MP when the display (ie. TV) resolution changes. In other words Windows will tell MP that a display resolution change has occurred, and so MP changes size. This is entirely normal.
    I don't see what bearing this has on the crash except that the GPU driver via Windows also notifies MP when the receiver is turned off, and this is triggering MP to attempt to stop streaming TV (which may be the trigger for the crash).

One key point that you need to keep in mind is MP may not be able to stop streaming TV without crashing after you turn off the receiver. Equally MP may not be able to continue streaming TV without crashing after you turn off the receiver. Reason being, if the audio device (ie. the receiver) suddenly disappears in can be problematic in all sorts of ways on a system level.

So if you're going to bed and casually switching off the TV and receiver and expecting MP to just handle it... that may be unrealistic. Once again I'd like to point out that the detail about what you're doing and the sequence you're doing it in is crucial.

I have the exact same issue but have been too lazy to post logs.
    Matt, as much as I'm sure you mean well by your comment, it is actually a bit frustrating for me. I mean, how does that statement without any information about your setup, how you're reproducing the problem, or even proof that you do indeed have the same problem help us? I note I'm too lazy to help people who don't provide the details I need to help them! :p

mm

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    Matt, as much as I'm sure you mean well by your comment, it is actually a bit frustrating for me. I mean, how does that statement without any information about your setup, how you're reproducing the problem, or even proof that you do indeed have the same problem help us? I note I'm too lazy to help people who don't provide the details I need to help them!

That is certainly fair...I was just using the comment as a placeholder so that I know to followup with more detail later. I wanted to doublecheck that my logs were in debug mode.

To be honest, I cannot tell if it is random or what, but for me at least it is inconsistent. I have been trying to reproduce the issue for a while and I have had no luck. Based on my memory it seems like the issue occurs when I let the system sit idle for a while. I do not have my system sleep or hibernate so i do not think it has to do with power management.

As soon as I can reproduce the problem again I will post logs I promise. I turn everything on and off with a harmony remote, so I am not sure of the order.

-------
    It just crashed. Getting ready to upload logs.

Last edited:

dquancey

Portal Member
    July 31, 2009
    Home Country
    I've tried various different ways on switching the "setup" off.

If I switch the receiver off ONLY, then it will crash, say, 1 out of 5 times.

Now, if I switch the TV off, leaving the receiver on, it'll probably crash 4 out of 5 times at least.

The only reason I say that it's the screen sizing that is causing MP to crash is that when I switch both TV and AMP off, then back on again, even just whilst in the main menu, for example. Then it seems to crash also, albeit rarely.

If there is a certain scenario you'd like me to test, then let me know.

It's a little disheartening that XBMC works flawlessly whenever I switch anything off.

I will only consider using MP. As in my opinion it's superior to XBMC. Just in its current state, MP crashing makes it "Missus unfriendly".

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

You'll have to be patient - the logs don't show anything useful about exactly what happens when it crashes, so this might take a lot of detective work :)

@mm1352000 @mattjcurry - I think I remember Scythe42 putting code in to try and work out when MP gets the renderer added/removed messages which renderer it is and if MP is using it - I wonder if some of this DirectShow 'poking around' might be generating an unhandled exception ?

Also (and this may just be coincidence) I notice that both systems are using Intel GPU's - I wonder if anyone else is getting this issue with AMD or nVidia GPU's ? (Obviously MP shouldn't crash anyway, but it might be useful info).

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You'll have to be patient - the logs don't show anything useful about exactly what happens when it crashes, so this might take a lot of detective work :)
    ...yes, especially for someone such as me who has never used or owned a receiver or TV with HDMI in my life! ;)

Also (and this may just be coincidence) I notice that both systems are using Intel GPU's - I wonder if anyone else is getting this issue with AMD or nVidia GPU's ? (Obviously MP shouldn't crash anyway, but it might be useful info).

Yes, I also noticed this and was going to say...
    Guys, what version of the Intel GPU driver are you running? We've had Intel GPU driver-specific issues before. I know XBMC may work fine with the same driver - just asking.

dquancey

Portal Member
    July 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Intel Driver: 9.18.10.3071

I was using an old one previously, so upgraded to see if it'll fix the issue, unfortunately not.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I personally have no idea where to add logging at the moment. The crash seems to happen "unprovoked". Of course, there will be something we are doing which the driver doesn't like... but the trigger could be much earlier (ie. maybe when the receiver is turned off). It is really hard to solve such problems.

Like I said earlier, I almost bet the crash doesn't occur if you stop TV playback in MP properly before turning the receiver and TV off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom